C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Start - Diag Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 10:29 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,284 Likes on 1,938 Posts

Default First Start - Diag Noise?

I was able to start the new setup tonight for the first time. I was held back by fuel system problems which, thanks to my gorilla hands, turned into several months trying to replace the driver side tank.

So it runs!

But my ear picked out a noise I'm not sure is legit. The car ran for 2 to 3 minutes max - half of which is on film in the link below. The squeaky belt is one thing, but if you listen from 37 seconds forward when I put the phone by the head unit I am hearing an angry marbles / vibratory sound that I am not liking right off the bat. Seeking experienced ears.

I bought the kit used through the forum her. It's a used P-1sc on an A&A bracket and old style kit which sends the feed to the driver side. Fresh oil installed this spring while it sat.

Thoughts?
Edit: Bearing?

Last edited by Tusc; 07-11-2016 at 02:23 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:14 AM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Tusc
I was able to start the new setup tonight for the first time. I was held back by fuel system problems which, thanks to my gorilla hands, turned into several months trying to replace the driver side tank.

So it runs!

But my ear picked out a noise I'm not sure is legit. The car ran for 2 to 3 minutes max - half of which is on film in the link below. The squeaky belt is one thing, but if you listen from 37 seconds forward when I put the phone by the head unit I am hearing an angry marbles / vibratory sound that I am not liking right off the bat. Seeking experienced ears.

I bought the kit used through the forum her. It's a used P-1sc on an A&A bracket and old style kit which sends the feed to the driver side. Fresh oil installed this spring while it sat.

Thoughts?
Edit: Bearing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT4GNVpNEAA
3 things, frist is it stock crank damper, second that nosie is not normal. I had a p1sc and i did not have that noise. Third, I believe you have an alignment problem or did you have that squeak before install?
Old 07-11-2016, 09:09 AM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Stock damper, pinned. Squeak is new. Belt, LS2 pulley are also new. Head unit bracket is used.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:22 AM
SmoothFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a P1sc and it sounds just like that. I've run it for nearly 13 years without issue (~80k miles on it). Had it rebuilt a few years ago, still have that noise.

I never thought anything of it.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:08 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 434 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Tusc
Stock damper, pinned. Squeak is new. Belt, LS2 pulley are also new. Head unit bracket is used.
Look at this sticky up above. Laser alignment of serpentine belts the right way.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:19 PM
Josh@AandASuperchargers
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 183 Likes on 143 Posts

I think the belt chirp is from mis alignment some where.
I think the angry marbles is normal.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:37 PM
StuntHeavy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My setup is a bit different (F1r and racevalve), but aside from the squeak, I'd say my headunit sounds about the same, but louder.

I'm no pro, but I'd place it somewhere between spoons in a blender, and 220V Hoover vacuum.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:33 AM
fisher auto
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Those things are normally loud! I had a belt squeak for a while and would jump over a groove after just one hard pull. Turned out to be my p/s pulley starting to break apart. Replaced with new C6 it's been perfect.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:04 PM
FourG63 97GST
Melting Slicks

Received 350 Likes on 191 Posts

sounds like an easy one, it's consitent, so that's good.
grab one of those and get the poking around

Old 07-12-2016, 12:53 PM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Straight cut gears in the blower are the marbles sound, completely normal for a P1C. Squirt some water on the belt to see if the squeak goes away if it does check the alignment.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:14 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

The water spray. What does that do? Confirm whether it is a pulley noise vs belt noise? I did order the laser tool to use from the alignment thread.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:38 PM
Tusc
Running Guns & Moonshine
Support Corvetteforum!

Got home and decided to take a shake-down lap at idle around the neighborhood. It ran fine. The squeak disappeared shortly after starting. Little did I know that I was inadvertently attempting the water test. The coolant return to the passenger top of block had sprung a pinhole leak from the end of the hose spraying directly back towards the engine. I'll try re-seating it for now but will order a replacement. So yes, the water test worked.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:02 PM
StuntHeavy
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Multitasking on the water test/test drive. Impressive sir!

Welcome to FI life. I'm just starting to make shakedown drives with my Procharger setup. One little thing after another. Hopefully it all comes together soon.

Get notified of new replies

To First Start - Diag Noise?

Quick Reply: First Start - Diag Noise?