Sponsored by:

How to Replace a Defective Retractable Antenna (Convertible) for $13

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Gregory0729
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bighank
Not a 10 minute job if the cable has broken off INSIDE the motor.
You must remove the right most tail light lens, the grounding wires and straps held onto the mast by phillips screws and then guide the whole antenna motor and mast out of the rear tail light hole so you can work on it. Remove the bracked on the bottom of the motor. Cut the tiewrap on the top of the rubber boot and push the boot up. VERY CAREFULLY drilll out the plastic rivets on the cover which is almost completely round. I went with a very small drill at first and increased sizes until I JUST drilled out the rivet not any larger. Remove the cover CAREFULLY so you don't drop any parts. Pull out the broken piece (I had about 6 inches of cable inside mine) and lubricate the gears and moving parts with some white lithium grease. Make sure everyting goes in to the place where it was before and watch the orientation of the inside parts as well as the plastic cover. Find 4 suitable self tapping screws to hold the cover on. Run the motor a few times by turning the ignition and radio on. Turn the radio off and wait for the motor to run in the opposite direction. Make sure you haven't jammed anything before proceeding. Then feed the new riobbon in so it will engage the gear
with the radio ON. Turn it off and it should DRAW the mast in with almost all of it in the housing. Put on the new "CONTACT SPRING" or reuse your old one (the sleve with the flange on one end which stops the mast from popping oout when you extend it). Replace the nut and then reinstall everything inside the fender. Total time including taking my kid to the bank before it closed was about 3 hours. but I think you can do it in 2. Get the GREASE off of your hands before reassembling the beast. $20 fix instead of $100 or more and have the same function. BIGHANK
Any pics out there for the motor removal and disassembly? I installed the mast, but there must be a broken section in there.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:48 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by JOSHinHAWAII
Ever seen or heard of an antenna motor that won't shut off, either after the antenna is fully extended or when its fully retracted?

Mine even continues to run after you pull the keys out of the ignition. I pulled the fuse for RDO/ANT to stop the motor, to prevent my battery from draining.

Frustrating.
Given that its a tooth and gear drive I'd guess the nylon teeth have stripped and the motor is trying to extend the antenna but just rotating. It would be a bit like the headlight gear problem. Just a guess but I'd pull the mast and see if they're stripped.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:25 PM
groundstrike
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

just finished - 10 min job - very easy! old antenna was nasty to handle though...
Old 03-13-2010, 08:23 PM
Navyvette04
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Great "how to" tutorial. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:19 PM
bthollow
Advanced

Default Antenna replacement not too difficult

OP's post made the first part of this job easy but also needed Big Hank's post to guide me through removing about eight inches of broken cable in the motor. Once you remove the right taillight and take a minute to view what's in there it's a fairly straightforward job to remove the antenna motor. Removed the mounting bracket and grounding cable to gain easy access to the motor. Followed Big Hank's post and drilled out the four plastic tabs, popped off the cover, removed the broken cable piece, regreased the mechanism, resecured the cover and then remounted the motor and taillight. The most comical aspect was feeding the new cable into the motor. Since I was doing this job solo, it required I (1) turn on the radio to activate the antenna motor, (2) place the cable into the antenna hole until it seemed to "catch", (3) turn off the radio and (4) race back to the cable to help guide it into the motor gears. Had to do this about six times before the cable "caught" and was drawn into the motor. Pushed the antenna clip into the mount, secured the nut, turned the radio on/off and, voila, it works! All told took a little over an hour.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:46 PM
sharadrao
8th Gear

Thanks for the reply. I will try this over the weekend and let you know how it works out.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:27 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

I had been having problems with my power antenna. Sometimes it did not go up or down all the way. I ordered the mast because I figured the teeth were wore out. After removing the nut I noticed it was full of crud and was binding on the mast. That was my problem since the teeth were fine. I did put the new mast on as long as I had it, but it could have been an easy fix costing nothing to clean out the nut. Something to check before ordering new mast.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:13 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Bear in mind that I posted this in 2007. What might have been a quick fix then might be a bigger problem in 2014.

Still its always worth trying the easy fix first.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:28 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DeeGee
Bear in mind that I posted this in 2007. What might have been a quick fix then might be a bigger problem in 2014.

Still its always worth trying the easy fix first.
I followed your directions and it worked great. I think my problem was a clogged up retaining nut that was binding the mast since the teeth on the mast were good, but I replaced it as long as I had it apart. It was a quick fix 5 minute job.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:04 PM
chough262
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The info shared on this forum is awesome!! This is the 2nd car that i have refered to this thread for how to info. 10 minute job and vioala...i have a new and properly functioning power antenna...Thanks
Old 07-04-2015, 05:27 PM
chill99
Instructor

Default Do I need a new motor?

I had to go the route of removing the motor to remove several inches of the plastic antenna cord that had broken off. All went smooth and I was excited to finally put the new antenna in the motor, but alas, the motor is not working. I've changed the fuse just to be sure, but still no motor function.

When the problem first started a couple of years back, there was a grinding noise, which lead me to remove the antenna mast and plastic geared cord. I've had a plug in the hole in the top of the antenna motor to keep water out. Now that I've finally gotten around to taking it all apart, seems the motor is not working. I hear no noise in the motor when turning radio on and off.

Any thoughts before I go looking for a new motor to purchase?

Or maybe time to just go with a shorty antenna.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:43 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by chill99
I had to go the route of removing the motor to remove several inches of the plastic antenna cord that had broken off. All went smooth and I was excited to finally put the new antenna in the motor, but alas, the motor is not working. I've changed the fuse just to be sure, but still no motor function.

When the problem first started a couple of years back, there was a grinding noise, which lead me to remove the antenna mast and plastic geared cord. I've had a plug in the hole in the top of the antenna motor to keep water out. Now that I've finally gotten around to taking it all apart, seems the motor is not working. I hear no noise in the motor when turning radio on and off.

Any thoughts before I go looking for a new motor to purchase?

Or maybe time to just go with a shorty antenna.
If the time comes that my motor is shot I will probably just go with a shorty antenna. One less thing to worry about.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:00 AM
HeyLoosie
Cruising

Default Bad Day to a Great Day !!

Just backed my running '03 AE Vert up so that the rear end was sticking out of my garage with the door lowered enough that no one could come by and drive off in it while I charged the battery for a bit...

Yup, you guessed it - now I need a new antenna mast!! So I'm bumping up this thread. Thanks, DeeGee!! Just bought a new OEM mast on eBay (it's only $19 now,) and I'll replace it next weekend when it arrives.

From a bad day to a great day!! (And a mistake I won't make again!!)
Old 06-12-2016, 02:37 PM
vetintheblood
Burning Brakes

Location: Beavercreek Ohio Currently own: 1958 Silver Blue Corvette
Received 755 Likes on 253 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Thanks DeeGee - more excellent information from you as always!
Old 07-08-2023, 01:40 PM
mechee89
3rd Gear

Hello all. First time poster here. 2001 C5. I am at my whits end with this project. I followed all of the instructions and the antenna still won't go all the way down. Even if I apply some pressure to it, it stops about 6" down. The plastic was not broken inside of the motor. It's almost as if there is something in there at is supposed to stop it at that point. Is there something that I am completely not accounting for here? Is the antenna supposed to stick out that far on the 2001 model?
Old 07-08-2023, 01:53 PM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Received 1,081 Likes on 635 Posts

What have you replaced? The ribbon or the motor assy?
Old 07-08-2023, 02:14 PM
mechee89
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by yellow2007
What have you replaced? The ribbon or the motor assy?
Everything but the motor assembly. The motor seems like it is working as it should. It just feels like there is something stopping the antenna from going past that point. I put quite a bit of pressure on it to make it go down all the way and it would not budge. It still extends all the way. Just won't go down, even after the mast replacement.

Get notified of new replies

To How to Replace a Defective Retractable Antenna (Convertible) for $13

Old 07-08-2023, 08:19 PM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

It sounds like you have a small piece of the old ribbon stuck in the motor assy. Try removing the mast very carefully then turn on the radio to raise the antenna.......the motor just may push the obstruction is out.
Old 07-08-2023, 09:33 PM
mechee89
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by yellow2007
It sounds like you have a small piece of the old ribbon stuck in the motor assy. Try removing the mast very carefully then turn on the radio to raise the antenna.......the motor just may push the obstruction is out.
There wasn't any stuck in the motor. I even compared the original to the replacement and they were the exact same length. There has to be something more going on. Is there anything else within that canal that stops the mast as it collapses?
Old 07-09-2023, 08:49 AM
yellow2007
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mechee89
There wasn't any stuck in the motor. I even compared the original to the replacement and they were the exact same length. There has to be something more going on. Is there anything else within that canal that stops the mast as it collapses?
Considering your car is 22 years old it is possible yours is the third replacement. Comparing the ribbon lengths is one was of checking but unless you can actually see in the motor you'll never know if it's an obstruction or the motor itself.

Quick Reply: How to Replace a Defective Retractable Antenna (Convertible) for $13