Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What color seat skins?
Light Grey (stock & current color)
51.85%
Black
48.15%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

New Seat Skins Color

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:55 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
I'm looking at actual seat skins from a vendor named Exotikleather. He's selling synthetic leather skins for standard seats for $225. They'll be perfect for handling the wear and tear of daily driving for the next year or so until I'm ready to sink some serious money into the interior. I'll be converting my standard seats to sport seats at that time and will sell the Exotikleather skins at that time to recoup a little of the cost.

I'd looked at slip-on covers but for the cost I just couldn't justify it when I can get brand new skins for $35 more.
Ed I'll bet he will 2 tone for you at the same price. I bought his leather skins and they made to my order without an upcharge. There was some guys on this forum that purchased his synthetic skins and were real happy with them. His full leather skins only run $550.00 + shipping and they are very good quality. I've seen his skins put on old foam and they did have some wrinkles in them.

Just sent you a PM

Last edited by 92GA; 05-31-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:33 PM
frsr06
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

If its your DD and just looking to fix the hole - many of the members here have replaced their skins - maybe a deal on the ol skins would suffice?
Old 05-31-2014, 10:03 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Hey Ed,

I have followed a bunch of your threads and have thought that you and I think a lot alike in terms of mods, repairs, etc. Your ideas are always well thought out and researched.

I too must operate on a limited budget, so I understand your dilemma.

With a white car, obviously either color will work well. However, I think that the black will not leave enough grey in the interior and does get quite hot in the summer (DO NOT SIT DOWN WITH SHORTS ON AFTER THE CAR HAS BEEN SITTING IN THE SUN!!! ) To me, the grey is just so classy looking. By the way, are your carpets grey or black? That would figure into my decision as well.

jmho
DSTURBD
Old 05-31-2014, 10:53 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The only options I have available to me are a solid light grey or a solid black

I have the same problem with seat covers for my white/grey c5.

I'm going to stick with grey.

I am not a big fan of changing things on a vette, when I get older I think it will mean more to me if I keep it in the original condition.

Don't change it to black.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:03 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I voted gray, should be cooler than the black.

Good Luck!
Old 06-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by 92GA
Ed I'll bet he will 2 tone for you at the same price. I bought his leather skins and they made to my order without an upcharge. There was some guys on this forum that purchased his synthetic skins and were real happy with them. His full leather skins only run $550.00 + shipping and they are very good quality. I've seen his skins put on old foam and they did have some wrinkles in them.

Just sent you a PM
Thanks. I'd planned on asking him about two-tone as well as seeing about having the logo stitched on them too. I'll be giving him a call this coming week to see what options I have that will still be within my budget.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by DSTURBD
By the way, are your carpets grey or black? That would figure into my decision as well.
The carpet is grey. It will end up being replaced down the road but I think I want to keep it grey. Black carpet would be a little much for my interior.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:51 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by scarecrowkc5
The only options I have available to me are a solid light grey or a solid black

I have the same problem with seat covers for my white/grey c5.

I'm going to stick with grey.

I am not a big fan of changing things on a vette, when I get older I think it will mean more to me if I keep it in the original condition.

Don't change it to black.
I plan on making all kinds of changes to improve the interior quality of my car. With the seats, though, I could go either way because of the two-tone interior. I think I'm leaning more toward grey at this point.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Since money is the object, I'd go with used, matching whatever color my passenger is. Vettenuts, ebay, or the forum sale section.

If I had a budget of $600.00 I would buy the two tone gray and black leather skins from oaktree motoring. I couldn't be happier.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
Since money is the object, I'd go with used, matching whatever color my passenger is. Vettenuts, ebay, or the forum sale section.

If I had a budget of $600.00 I would buy the two tone gray and black leather skins from oaktree motoring. I couldn't be happier.
I've been watching for skins the right color, but nobody ever seems to have any for sale that do not already have holes in the same places mine do.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:36 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I've been watching for skins the right color, but nobody ever seems to have any for sale that do not already have holes in the same places mine do.
When I swapped out my original skins for my Vette Essential skins, I sold my OEM black seat covers on the forum. They only had about 10K of 'butt miles' on them and still looked really good. My passenger side looked near perfect.

Point is, the deals are out there if you can find them.

Here's the link to my original FS thread...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...n-package.html

Last edited by MSG C5; 06-01-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by MSG C5
When I swapped out my original skins for my Vette Essential skins, I sold my OEM black seat covers on the forum. They only had about 10K of 'butt miles' on them and still looked really good. My passenger side looked near perfect.

Point is, the deals are out there if you can find them.

Here's the link to my original FS thread...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...n-package.html
Too high for my budget...

What I'm facing is this: I can either get the one seat repaired for $300 (my budget for this project), or I can buy two new seat skins for $225 and cover both seats. I can even get replacement base seat foam with the new skins and still be under budget.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:09 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Too high for my budget...

What I'm facing is this: I can either get the one seat repaired for $300 (my budget for this project), or I can buy two new seat skins for $225 and cover both seats. I can even get replacement base seat foam with the new skins and still be under budget.
I'm sure he can do two tone for the same price. The new foam from Mid America will make the seats taller. I just did my seats with his leather and Mid America foam. My son and I went for a ride last night, his first time in the car since the rebuild and his head almost hit the top. He is 6'4" tall though. The seats are much more comfortable now though.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by 92GA
I'm sure he can do two tone for the same price. The new foam from Mid America will make the seats taller. I just did my seats with his leather and Mid America foam. My son and I went for a ride last night, his first time in the car since the rebuild and his head almost hit the top. He is 6'4" tall though. The seats are much more comfortable now though.
If he can do two-tone for the same price I'll get the black on grey (black outside and grey in center sections). I'm also going to ask about having the logo stitched on too; I think it would make the standard seats look much better than their typical plain-Jane look.

I'm just shy of 6'4" so I'm hoping my head doesn't hit the roof.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:58 PM
Chili144
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Black with grey trim is an option as well. I'm another Vette Essentials fan...

Do you have the link for these covers? they look sweet I am in need for new covers and think I want to go this route.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:10 PM
tommyo4
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a budget but you still want quality seats that will last. You need to consider these guys. I did my seats(with alcantarra suede center) , center console and both shifter boots and cost me 480 shipped

Just skins are like 250-350.
My brother and his buddy both got the two tone for their c6 and both look great.

Pm if you need pics but if you search these guys, there's a ton of people on here that have used them.

http://www.interior-innovations.com

Quick Reply: New Seat Skins Color