Sponsored by:

[Z06] Noob needs info about wheel sizes, tire sizes, and brake caliper sizes

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 09:18 AM
conradb
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Noob needs info about wheel sizes, tire sizes, and brake caliper sizes

I recently picked up a 2002 C5 Z06. I'm looking to do some upgrades in the near future. Firstly, I will need new tires soon, and I'm running the stock 17/18 C5 Z06 wheel setup on my car. Tire Rack doesn't show there are Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in the 17" size. I really, really want those tires for my street and track setup. What to do? Just get bigger wheels? The C6 Z06 wheels looks great. Do I need spacers on the rear for them not to rub?

That brings me to my next point... I will be looking to upgrade to a BBK in the near future. I'm a bit confused as to the warning about the calipers not fitting. Is this a problem with the wheel offset, or the actual wheel diameter? Do people need wheel spacers? Are people running BBK's, like Brembos and StopTechs, on the stock 17/18 Z06 setup just fine? Does anyone have a link to where I can see what wheel setups they're running for this?

Finally, how can I know what tire widths I can put on a wheel? For example, the stock rear C5 Z06 wheels are 10.5" across, which is ~267mm, but the tire width is 295mm. How do you know what's too wide? Is there a danger in pushing the size too far when you plan to track the car?

Thanks for the info, guys!

Last edited by conradb; 05-18-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 02:28 PM
Verrückt ZR1
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 556 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Hey there. First of all, congratulations on your new Z. Great car, you'll love it. As far as tires go, I'm in the same predicament. Options for stock sized wheels are few and far between. I'll personally be buying a set of Continental ExtremeContact DW's for my '04. Will be running a 255 R40-17 setup on the fronts, 295 R35-18 rears. If you truly have your heart set on the Michelin's, I believe you'll have to upgrade wheels- two at least. If you love the factory Z wheels, run four rears on every corner. The widest tire the stock rear wheel will accept are 315's I believe. So you could run 285-295 on the fronts, and 315's out back, if you so choose. Keep in mind that the big tires WILL stick out a touch in the back. Good luck with your decision, and enjoy your Z!
Old 05-21-2015, 11:38 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

on the cheap buy 2 new 18" c5z wheels from houseofwheels on the forums here, or used if you can find them. run 275/295 18" mpss setup. Big brakes will require some research. Most need spacers on our wheels or fancy hatted rotors that have more offset, but a few decent setups do fit with a 12.8-14" stock c5z or c6z rotor.

If you got more money, but not tons, get tsw rims they have clearance for a bunch of brake. My buddy has 14.25" rotor wilwood w6a kit on 18" tsw nurburgrings and it fits without a spacer.

look up the tire size info on the manufacturer page or on tirerack.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:05 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by conradb
I recently picked up a 2002 C5 Z06. I'm looking to do some upgrades in the near future. Firstly, I will need new tires soon, and I'm running the stock 17/18 C5 Z06 wheel setup on my car. Tire Rack doesn't show there are Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires in the 17" size. I really, really want those tires for my street and track setup. What to do? Just get bigger wheels? The C6 Z06 wheels looks great. Do I need spacers on the rear for them not to rub?

That brings me to my next point... I will be looking to upgrade to a BBK in the near future. I'm a bit confused as to the warning about the calipers not fitting. Is this a problem with the wheel offset, or the actual wheel diameter? Do people need wheel spacers? Are people running BBK's, like Brembos and StopTechs, on the stock 17/18 Z06 setup just fine? Does anyone have a link to where I can see what wheel setups they're running for this?

Finally, how can I know what tire widths I can put on a wheel? For example, the stock rear C5 Z06 wheels are 10.5" across, which is ~267mm, but the tire width is 295mm. How do you know what's too wide? Is there a danger in pushing the size too far when you plan to track the car?

Thanks for the info, guys!
Originally Posted by Socko
on the cheap buy 2 new 18" c5z wheels from houseofwheels on the forums here, or used if you can find them. run 275/295 18" mpss setup. Big brakes will require some research. Most need spacers on our wheels or fancy hatted rotors that have more offset, but a few decent setups do fit with a 12.8-14" stock c5z or c6z rotor.

If you got more money, but not tons, get tsw rims they have clearance for a bunch of brake. My buddy has 14.25" rotor wilwood w6a kit on 18" tsw nurburgrings and it fits without a spacer.

look up the tire size info on the manufacturer page or on tirerack.
Do what this guy suggests and it will allow you to run a good BBK as well as 265 or 275/35-18F|295/35-18R Pilot Super Sports

One of the vendors on here has a kit that uses a Wilwood Aero6 caliper and a 13.4" C6 Z51 rotor that should fit up front under C5Z rears just fine, as well as a kit that adds FNSL4 calipers and C6 Z51 rotors for the rear:

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.co...te-c5/kits-35/

Search him out on here and PM him, the guy is legit

Get notified of new replies

To Noob needs info about wheel sizes, tire sizes, and brake caliper sizes

Quick Reply: [Z06] Noob needs info about wheel sizes, tire sizes, and brake caliper sizes