Sponsored by:

C5 Front Spolier

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 09:38 PM
rickw99vette
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C5 Front Spolier

I am considering buying a front spoiler for my C5, I have been looking at the ACI Spoiler but I've been reading it can make your water temp rise. I have a 160 degree thermostat already installed.Anyone know of a different spoiler that has good air flow to the cold air intakes ? Would I be better off not installing a spoiler ?
Old 08-29-2015, 12:19 AM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,893 Likes on 1,679 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Winner

I have the 160 stat in mine and I rarely see any temps over 200 around here in Arizona. I also have the ACI spoiler on it. When I bought it I cut the back middle "scoop" off of it so it would let the air in almost like the spoiler wasn't there. I think it made a difference but not sure if you want to do anything like that to a new one. I found mine used so it didn't cost the new price tag. I had it like in the picture for a while but it got damaged and I had to get it repaired. So I just cut the middle completely out. It hasn't made any difference in the structure at all. I don't have any pics of it like it is now but if you want to see it I can get under it and get some.

Old 08-29-2015, 12:20 AM
2FAS4UU
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by rickw99vette
I am considering buying a front spoiler for my C5, I have been looking at the ACI Spoiler but I've been reading it can make your water temp rise. I have a 160 degree thermostat already installed.Anyone know of a different spoiler that has good air flow to the cold air intakes ? Would I be better off not installing a spoiler ?
From what I've read from other testimonials and what I am able to conclude is that a front spoiler that drops down from the nose of the body (approx. 2 1/2''-2 3/4'') in the front intake area interrupts the air flow to radiator's high pressure area, versus a flat splitter that still allows air flow under it that hits the deflector air damn that re-directs it towards the radiator. I am currently waiting to receive and install the carbon fiber splitter and side skirts I developed/designed soon and will share the test results to the forum !! Good luck !!
Old 08-29-2015, 08:38 AM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 229 Likes on 156 Posts

I have an ACI splitter w/ 160 degree thermostate. I have had no temp issues even after driving several hours at 80+ mph.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:18 AM
rickw99vette
Instructor

Default Spoiler

Hey thanks for info, if its not to much to ask could you take photo on car, your info very helpful. Thanks. My email rickw109@yahoo.com
Originally Posted by mstromquist
I have the 160 stat in mine and I rarely see any temps over 200 around here in Arizona. I also have the ACI spoiler on it. When I bought it I cut the back middle "scoop" off of it so it would let the air in almost like the spoiler wasn't there. I think it made a difference but not sure if you want to do anything like that to a new one. I found mine used so it didn't cost the new price tag. I had it like in the picture for a while but it got damaged and I had to get it repaired. So I just cut the middle completely out. It hasn't made any difference in the structure at all. I don't have any pics of it like it is now but if you want to see it I can get under it and get some.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:20 AM
rickw99vette
Instructor

Default Thanks !

Thanks for response, looks great on your car mine also is pewter can't deside to paint spoiler pewter or black.
Originally Posted by yaknow
I have an ACI splitter w/ 160 degree thermostate. I have had no temp issues even after driving several hours at 80+ mph.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:23 AM
rickw99vette
Instructor

Default Thanks

Thanks for response and info.
Originally Posted by 2FAS4UU
From what I've read from other testimonials and what I am able to conclude is that a front spoiler that drops down from the nose of the body (approx. 2 1/2''-2 3/4'') in the front intake area interrupts the air flow to radiator's high pressure area, versus a flat splitter that still allows air flow under it that hits the deflector air damn that re-directs it towards the radiator. I am currently waiting to receive and install the carbon fiber splitter and side skirts I developed/designed soon and will share the test results to the forum !! Good luck !!
Old 08-29-2015, 02:58 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's what the cutout looks like on the car. As you can see, it lets lots of air back onto the defelctor for the radiator so it doesn't starve it what so ever. You'll also have to pardon the dust. It's been sitting all summer. Also pay no attention to the marks on the front lip. It's the clear bra I put on it to protect the paint.

Here's what it looks like on the car.

Last edited by mstromquist; 08-29-2015 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:08 PM
Martinez310
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15,'19

love the grille
Old 08-29-2015, 04:46 PM
Chopnspray
Advanced

Like the grille a lot ...who makes it
Old 08-29-2015, 08:20 PM
rickw99vette
Instructor

Default Spoiler

Man that's a good looking Vette,Love the spoiler.
Originally Posted by Martinez310
love the grille
Old 08-29-2015, 08:21 PM
rickw99vette
Instructor

Default Spoiler

Man that's a good looking Vette,Love the spoiler.
Here's what the cutout looks like on the car. As you can see, it lets lots of air back onto the defelctor for the radiator so it doesn't starve it what so ever. You'll aslo have to pardon the dust. It's been sitting all summer. Also pay no attention to the marks on the front lip. It's the clear bra I put on it to protect the paint.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:25 PM
rickw99vette
Instructor

Default Drag

I forgot to ask you, do you have a problem with front end dragging with the spoiler ? I lowered mine with the factory lowering bolts all the way down but raised it back up some because the factory black spoiler was dragging some but the way your car looks looks like yours is about normal.
Here's what the cutout looks like on the car. As you can see, it lets lots of air back onto the defelctor for the radiator so it doesn't starve it what so ever. You'll aslo have to pardon the dust. It's been sitting all summer. Also pay no attention to the marks on the front lip. It's the clear bra I put on it to protect the paint.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:54 PM
Revolver ZSTi
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

it really comes down to how low your front end is and the design of the front lip/spoiler/aero, some design blocks more air than others

heres a thread how I beat this heating issue with my car

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...unctional.html

heres
Old 08-29-2015, 08:58 PM
mstromquist
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Mine is lowered a bit as well. The spoiler does drag on some slight inclines and speed bumps. Not a big deal to me since it's all on the bottom anyway. You should see people turn when it does. It makes some noise. It's only about 3" from the ground.

As for the grills, over the years I've sent people to the guy that use to make them and they haven't been able to get anywhere with him about making more. These aren't being made anymore, sorry. Thanks for the compliments on the car...
Old 08-29-2015, 09:35 PM
rickw99vette
Instructor

Default Spoiler

Thanks for info, your Vette looks awesome. Are those wheels from CCW ?
Originally Posted by Revolver ZSTi
it really comes down to how low your front end is and the design of the front lip/spoiler/aero, some design blocks more air than others

heres a thread how I beat this heating issue with my car

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...unctional.html

heres
Old 08-30-2015, 02:50 PM
4XLR8N
Le Mans Master
Pro Mechanic

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,214 Posts

ACI ASF700 spoiler here. Car is lowered on stock bolts. I retained the stock center air dam. Car has the stock thermostat. No overheating issues here either on the highway, country roads or anywhere.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Front Spolier

Quick Reply: C5 Front Spolier