Sponsored by:

Hide a sub?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 09:58 AM
Fayeilding
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hide a sub?

I'm like a crackhead, starting modding Vette Saturday & now I can't stop! Simple stuff only so far.

Question is, does anyone know the easiest way to install and hide (under seat?) a hide away sub/amp together in low profile compact housing?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_109BASP...9935305&awdv=m

I have stock HU, will not be changing anytime soon. I did replace the front and rear with Polk speakers.

Don't need some panty dropping radio, just a touch of bass.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:12 AM
smartadze
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fayeilding
Question is, does anyone know the easiest way to install and hide (under seat?) a hide away sub/amp together in low profile compact housing?
I have stock HU, will not be changing anytime soon. Don't need some panty dropping radio, just a touch of bass.
OF COURSE you need panty-dropping bass! What's the point?!

The easiest way is to forego the expensive and puny package subs, and just put the amp and sub of your choice in the rear center storage compartment. IF (and only IF) you use a "Class D" amp, you can put the amp in there too, and it won't overheat; otherwise, you'll have to mount a Class A/B amp in the storage area somewhere. The Pyle Class D is cheap and really nice, I have two. The center compartment will easily accept any 12" sub (just cut the compartment lid or use an adapter), and the storage compartment gives a decent enclosure. This will drop panties within a couple blocks at least :-)
You also will need a PacAudio AOEM-Vet1 converter. it allows the use of the Bose system PLUS a separate amp and sub. I have one on eBay right now for $17. <now sold - thanks>

But allow two suggestions:
1) you may as well get a 3- or 5-channel amp. Put two 6x9's in the left and right storage compartments, super-nice sound addition to the Bose system.

2) Replace the stock head unit NOW. It's easy. If music and not watching movies or navigation is your goal, you can get inexpensive Single-DIN shallow-depth head units for $75 anywhere that mount with no hassle, no cutting and look great. This puts you in touch with USB and smart-card direct-play for your MP3's (no aux input device or wires etc), or any satellite radio like Sirius etc. You will need a slightly different converter to also use the Bose system (Pac Audio ROEM-Vet1) but install and cost is the same as just adding the AOEM + amp and sub.
Attached Images  

Last edited by smartadze; 05-25-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:19 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

By the title, I thought you were trying to sneak a Hoagie into the ball park.

With a screen name like yours, I knew you would understand
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 05-25-2016 at 11:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (12-06-2018)
Old 05-25-2016, 12:46 PM
Fayeilding
Advanced

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
By the title, I thought you were trying to sneak a Hoagie into the ball park.

With a screen name like yours, I knew you would understand
Bill aka ET
That's funny
Evil-Twin (05-25-2016)
Old 05-25-2016, 12:51 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

That's funny
Thanks, you are unique to this forum because most newbies don't get my humor.,. and many seasoned veterans here still don't get it either.
welcome to the forum
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 05-25-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:06 PM
Fayeilding
Advanced

Originally Posted by smartadze
OF COURSE you need panty-dropping bass! What's the point?!

The easiest way is to forego the expensive and puny package subs, and just put the amp and sub of your choice in the rear center storage compartment. IF (and only IF) you use a "Class D" amp, you can put the amp in there too, and it won't overheat; otherwise, you'll have to mount a Class A/B amp in the storage area somewhere. The Pyle Class D is cheap and really nice, I have two. The center compartment will easily accept any 12" sub (just cut the compartment lid or use an adapter), and the storage compartment gives a decent enclosure. This will drop panties within a couple blocks at least :-)
You also will need a PacAudio AOEM-Vet1 converter. it allows the use of the Bose system PLUS a separate amp and sub. I have one on eBay right now for $17.

But allow two suggestions:
1) you may as well get a 3- or 5-channel amp. Put two 6x9's in the left and right storage compartments, super-nice sound addition to the Bose system.

2) Replace the stock head unit NOW. It's easy. If music and not watching movies or navigation is your goal, you can get inexpensive Single-DIN shallow-depth head units for $75 anywhere that mount with no hassle, no cutting and look great. This puts you in touch with USB and smart-card direct-play for your MP3's (no aux input device or wires etc), or any satellite radio like Sirius etc. You will need a slightly different converter to also use the Bose system (Pac Audio ROEM-Vet1) but install and cost is the same as just adding the AOEM + amp and sub.
I know your advice is solid, I appreciate it, but right now money is mainly being focused on performance stuff.

Exhaust, air intake, new wheels & tires, suspension upgrade, etc.

So really looking for the easiest way to install that cheap little self powered sub & how to connect it to factory head.

Appears that adapter is the answer on connecting it, wonder if anyone else has done it & knows if it will fit under the seat?
Old 05-25-2016, 01:12 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

HEY,,, wait just a dog gone minute,,,, I THOUGHT he was talking about this

They HIDE GOOD! "SILENT SERVICE"

There are ONLY TWO types of ships in the world "SUBMARINES" and "TARGETS"

Bill
Old 05-25-2016, 01:24 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

just dropping a sub in the compartment cover will not get you what your looking for (clean tight accurate bass) it needs to be in a sealed enclosure spec'd for the sub, there is not much room to hide any thing in a corvette! under the passenger seat you might fit a small amp other wise you need to get creative and build a amp box with fans to keep them from over heating, if your just worried about some one seeing them and braking in to the car you can get one of the rear compartment cover or something like that

this is a pick of my JL 10 (amazing punch for a single 10") in a spec'd enclosure i built for it and my amps mounted on my partition, the nitrous stuff is not finished so its a little messy back there still

Old 05-25-2016, 01:32 PM
FutureOWNR
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought this Sub and enclosure from Vettenuts and it's awesome!
Old 05-25-2016, 01:33 PM
smartadze
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroker87
just dropping a sub in the compartment cover will not get you what your looking for (clean tight accurate bass) it needs to be in a sealed enclosure spec'd for the sub, there is not much room to hide any thing in a corvette!
this is a pic of my JL 10 (amazing punch for a single 10") in a spec'd enclosure i built for it and my amps mounted on my partition.
I could not agree more! :-)

But that's a $1500 system, whereas the compartment option is a $200 system. I have both (2x12" in sealed boxes and another with ported boxes), but I have to say that the compartment version does a very good job. It will also outperform just about any package sub (have auditioned several).

Last edited by smartadze; 05-25-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:14 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

You may want to consider a powered subwoofer or two.
I went with 2 Sound Ordnance B-8PT units, although one would have sufficed. I can't even come close to cranking the bass without it shaking the car apart. Mine are mounted behind the seats on the deck, and they don't interfere with the convertible top. Plus side is that they don't take up any valuable storage space in back. Of course, I also replaced my entire sound system while I was at it with new head unit and speakers all around. There are adapters available for the C5's stock HU that will allow the addition of amps/subwoofers. It's just an easy install when you only have to place and wire a single unit. I believe these PSWs will actually fit behind the seats, too.

Here's a link to Crutchfield for these: http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearc...ered_subs.html

Last edited by c5vetteguy; 05-25-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:15 PM
Stroker87
Melting Slicks

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

the system was a little costly but the sound is very nice

JL audio
JX400/4D $250
JX500/1D $300
10W3v3-2 $300
head unit $100
wire kit $100

plus the focal 165AS components set $300 & $150 for the rear speakers you pretty much nailed it i'm abut $1600 deep by the time i built the box and ran around for every thing lol

the best sub you can use for the compartment cover would be a "free air" sub they are meant to be used in places you cant make air tight
Old 05-25-2016, 02:39 PM
Fayeilding
Advanced

Originally Posted by c5vetteguy
You may want to consider a powered subwoofer or two.
I went with 2 Sound Ordnance B-8PT units, although one would have sufficed. I can't even come close to cranking the bass without it shaking the car apart. Mine are mounted behind the seats on the deck, and they don't interfere with the convertible top. Plus side is that they don't take up any valuable storage space in back. Of course, I also replaced my entire sound system while I was at it with new head unit and speakers all around. There are adapters available for the C5's stock HU that will allow the addition of amps/subwoofers. It's just an easy install when you only have to place and wire a single unit. I believe these PSWs will actually fit behind the seats, too.

Here's a link to Crutchfield for these: http://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearc...ered_subs.html

You & I are the same page! Just looking for a little improvement on a super small budget since I already did the speaker upgrades. I know all the other advice is better, but don't have that much money given performance mods.

I would imagine those might fit under the seats also.

How tough to add 2 compared to 1 for a DIY job? Do you use one adapter and split the feed that runs to the subs? Is there a different adapter for 2 units?

Do you have to run through the firewall to the battery on these amp/sub units? Is that a major pain in the C5?

Better off buying from a store and just letting them do it for the extra money?

What about unplugging the **** woofers in the door? Or does the adapter for the subs basically take care or rerouting those frequency signals?

Last edited by Fayeilding; 05-25-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:46 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by FutureOWNR

I bought this Sub and enclosure from Vettenuts and it's awesome!
FutureOWNR

Can you post some detailed pictures on how those are mounted in your car.

The other question I have is: Can they be driven off the OEM C5 Head unit? "What does it take to make them work?"

My aftermarket Stereo experience stopped when I sold my 67 Impala
Old 05-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Nyt_Muves
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I'm like a crackhead, starting modding Vette Saturday & now I can't stop! Simple stuff only so far.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_109BASP...9935305&awdv=m

I have stock HU, will not be changing anytime soon. I did replace the front and rear with Polk speakers.

Don't need some panty dropping radio, just a touch of bass.
My panty dropping bass comes from right under the license plate between the rear wheels. Lol
Old 05-25-2016, 04:10 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I would imagine those might fit under the seats also.

How tough to add 2 compared to 1 for a DIY job? Do you use one adapter and split the feed that runs to the subs? Is there a different adapter for 2 units?

Do you have to run through the firewall to the battery on these amp/sub units? Is that a major pain in the C5?

Better off buying from a store and just letting them do it for the extra money?

What about unplugging the **** woofers in the door? Or does the adapter for the subs basically take care or rerouting those frequency signals?
These might fit under stock seats. I have Recaros and haven't tried that yet. I ran the hot lead to the battery (fused) then split it at the subwoofers. I fished the main power thru the firewall at one of the grommets located near the battery. That wasn't particularly difficult, just took a little time and finesse. Power comes on with the ignition.
I wouldn't disconnect the door mid-bass speakers as they are still fed via the BOSE amp(s).
The adapters I'm thinking of (and had one early on before revamping everything) allows the addition of ipod/AUX lines and also an external amp or two, if I'm not mistaken.

To get the whole scenario on audio for the C5, I recommend calling Dennis at Double D (a vendor here) and he'll set you up with anything from the adapter to a whole system. He's very helpful when it comes to this stuff.
Good luck with your audio upgrades. Let us know how you decided to go.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:36 AM
FutureOWNR
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
FutureOWNR

Can you post some detailed pictures on how those are mounted in your car.

The other question I have is: Can they be driven off the OEM C5 Head unit? "What does it take to make them work?"

My aftermarket Stereo experience stopped when I sold my 67 Impala
It literally just drops right in the hole when you remove the cover from that compartment. It's JL Audio Subwoofer. You can buy it for either side of the car. It is a little pricey, but it is out of the way and it is IMO the cleanest looking. They can be bought here http://www.vettenuts.net/index.php?l...t_detail&p=299

They cannot be driven off the stock head unit. My sub and speakers are powered by an Alpine PDX V9 5 Channel amp.

Get notified of new replies

To Hide a sub?

Old 05-27-2016, 02:03 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
HEY,,, wait just a dog gone minute,,,, I THOUGHT he was talking about this

They HIDE GOOD! "SILENT SERVICE"

There are ONLY TWO types of ships in the world "SUBMARINES" and "TARGETS"

Bill
As the worlds greatest "ping jockey" I could sniff out a sub 100 miles away. It wasn't Reagan who brought the Soviets to their knees, it was me reeking havoc with the Russian Pacific fleet back in the 80's. They knew there was no place to hide. Alpha, tango, whiskey, etc, didn't matter what class, they scurried away like the rats they were, when we were on the hunt. If I was John Kerry I would have given myself more medals.

Last edited by o2bnkc; 05-27-2016 at 02:04 AM.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:44 PM
sloopdawg
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 132 Posts

Brings back memories
80s also, Frank Cable AS-40
Old 05-28-2016, 01:27 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by sloopdawg

Brings back memories
80s also, Frank Cable AS-40
Thanks for your service. I remember the Frank Cable AS-40.
Me,
USS Edwards DD-750
USS Benjamin Stoddert DDG-22
USS Joseph Hewes FF-1058
USS Enhance MSO-437
USS Gallant MSO-489

Haze grey and underway!!

Last edited by o2bnkc; 05-28-2016 at 01:28 AM.
sloopdawg (05-28-2016)

Quick Reply: Hide a sub?