Sponsored by:

Fuel Guage problem - FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 04:21 PM
Cole
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Guage problem - FIXED

When I purchased my 2000 'vert, the owner , a Corvette lover and perfectionist, warned me about the fuel guage problem. He had had the fuel guage repaired under warrantee, but the problem re-occured. Then he read about Techron which solved the problem and advised me to try it if I had fuel guage issues.

It did come back with a vengeance and I ran out of gas - great surprise. I filled up with Chevron gas, purchased Techron additive and watched the trip odometer to avoid running low on fuel. After about three tanks of gas and three "doses" of Techron, the fuel guage is back to normal and working well.

When the guage was failing, the tank would display half a tank plus, then plummet suddenly with no apparent fuel remaining. Unless a station was close, the vehicle simple shut down from lack of fuel. Post Techron, "Normal" behavior has returned and the guage displays right down to the E mark and ties in with the trip odometer.

So... Techron works. Other additives may as well. But this stuff definitely has made me a believer. I am now using only Chevron gas in the car and stocking Techron additive.

I still don't believe in STP. 8>)

Regards from Arizona,

Cole
Old 10-09-2004, 04:28 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Thanks Cole. I have a 2000 as well, but no problems yet. Appreciate the headsup about the additivie.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:02 PM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

Only use Chevron in my 2000 Vert and so far no problems.
Old 10-09-2004, 05:11 PM
StuzVette
Cherish your Hopes...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Thanks Cole...
...there may be something to this...

a problem with mine occurred and I came across information here that Chevron gas would help...

I load up with Chevron and no more problem.
The fuel guage operates fine without adding Techron...
...I will keep this info handy just in case
Old 10-09-2004, 05:32 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I've been using Chevron exclusively on the Vette for about six months. No problems at all. One of my buddies has an '03 coupe, and didn't believe me until he had the dreaded fueld guage failure at the worst possible time - he ran out of gas about 45 miles from home with his wife in the car. The guage was reading erratically and eventually he ran out of gas.

Bottom line - he had the car flat bed towed in the dealer, the service advisor validated what I told him about Techron and they replaced his guage sending unit under warranty - oh yeah, they picked up the $95 charge for the flat bed, too!

Using Chevron seems to mitigate if not solve the problem!
Old 10-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Dave1998
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

A bottle of Chevron Techron every 6 months will keep your injectors clean as well !

Old 10-09-2004, 06:44 PM
FLACHUSNRET
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Default Techron

I try to use only Chevron premium gas in my '02 as I did in my '96. My '96 had a Chevron sticker inside the gas cap door which appeared to be a factory sticker. Occassionally I put Shell in my car if Chevron is not available. Doesn't Chevron gas contain this Techron already?
Old 10-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

Two other good fuel additives which would help keep your fuel system very clean, and therefore should help eliminate this problem, are products called Neutra (made by Shaeffer Oil) and Fuel Power (made by Lube Control) I've used these products in my cars. They are safe to use in smaller regular doses, for instance I now add 1oz of Fuel Power for every 5 gallons of gas. It's good preventative maintenance for the entire engine, as it also helps keep the combustion chamber free of deposits. It also has the effect of raising the octane by one point too. Some people report seeing their MPG go up by 1 or 2 as well, although I'm not sure yet if mine is doing that (I haven't owned the car long enough to establish any trends)
Old 10-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: All that glitters is Gold - Hockey Is CANADA'S game
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Techron will not solve all the fuel gauge problems. I have been using strictly chevron 94 and adding bottles of techron every few fill-ups for over a year and I still have a fuel gauge problem which GM cannot fix yet.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:14 PM
StuzVette
Cherish your Hopes...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by Zilla
Techron will not solve all the fuel gauge problems. I have been using strictly chevron 94 and adding bottles of techron every few fill-ups for over a year and I still have a fuel gauge problem which GM cannot fix yet.
Shoot I thought I was going to be okay!

When I fuel up...I do hold my tongue over like yis
...and shut one eye while opening the other eye real wide...

Old 10-09-2004, 09:19 PM
lt1george
Melting Slicks

Default C5

BG44K works very well also.Save the Wave.>George
Old 10-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by stuart
Shoot I thought I was going to be okay!

When I fuel up...I do hold my tongue over like yis
...and shut one eye while opening the other eye real wide...

GM has installed new sending units in my car back in May and it does not read full when filled, it reads between 3/4ths and 7/8ths. When I was driving to Portland the gas guage dropped to E about 5 times with the code P1431 showing up. All I did was clear the code while I was driving.

The Chevy dealer was told by GM that there is a new part but only being shipped in the US go figure.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:52 PM
TkitPlz
Drifting

Is this fuel gauge problem unique to a particular year or years of the C5? I just bought a 2004 Coupe and so far I've only used Amoco Ultimate. I was planning to store the car this winter with a full tank of Ultimate and a bottle of Stabil, but a post on another thread talked of a fellow having problems for a couple of months because of this combination. Ideas, thoughts, suggestions? Thanks. Dan
Old 10-09-2004, 09:57 PM
Zilla
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by TkitPlz
Is this fuel gauge problem unique to a particular year or years of the C5?
No year in particular.
Most people that have gotten the problem has used gas that was bad or contained high sulphur content. I had to use Shell a few time and that when the problems first started for me.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Cole
Pro

Originally Posted by Zilla

Seldom does any "fix" solve every problem. ButI have read on this forum previously that the Techron additive/fuel might do it. That plus following the previous owner's advice led me to try and it worked. So its worth a try - easy and cheap fix if it works. I have great belief in additives but am simply happy that this tip worked for me.

Regards,

Cole
Old 10-11-2004, 09:15 PM
MyBlueC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05
CI VI Veteran

Is there another brand of gas for those of us that don't have Chevron around us? I live in NC and don't remember ever seeing a Chevron. Unfortuantely, there are alot of Shell stations here.

Mark
Old 10-12-2004, 02:00 AM
Tom337
Racer

Techron fixed my fuel gauge problem.Knock on wood :-)

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Guage problem - FIXED

Old 10-12-2004, 05:28 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Not sure I would blame it on Shell either. That's is about all I use. I and a friend developed the problem at the same time, and it was after purchasing fuel at a Sunoco station that happened to be a good buy. Different fuel and Techtron (knocking on wood here) seem to have corrected the situation. It did develop last fall, so it will be interesting to see if it reoccurs when the winter blends of fuel start appearing.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:51 AM
Cochemarman
Racer

I've only had the fuel guage problem on my 2000 MN6 once - just after I collected it from the dealer. I was on a long slow low revving motorway journey from the north of France to where I live. About half way home the guage went down to E.

I filled up with supermarket fuel, which I have used ever since with no problems.

I do tend to keep the injectors clean the old fashioned way if I can - I just rev the nuts off it every chance I get!

Old 10-12-2004, 09:06 AM
ptdrummer54
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CI 5-6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07
NCM Ambassador

Here in MN the high octane has Ethanol in it (10%) and so far no problems. Has anyone had problems while using Ethanol blends?

Quick Reply: Fuel Guage problem - FIXED