C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to turn off tire sensor system

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 07:16 PM
sft316
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to turn off tire sensor system

i stopped at my local chevy dealer to get my tire pressure system turned off because i am not using run flats. i don't want to put in new sensors i just want the sys turned off. does antone know anybody in the hampton roads area of VA that can do this?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by sft316
i stopped at my local chevy dealer to get my tire pressure system turned off because i am not using run flats. i don't want to put in new sensors i just want the sys turned off. does antone know anybody in the hampton roads area of VA that can do this?
What did they tell you at the dealership????????
If they told you that the TPS function can not be turned off, they were correct. It can not be turned off on your car. You are crazy not to run the system on your car. The sensors can save very expensive tires, and very expensive wheels, and can also save your ***. It's nice to know in advance that your tire pressure id below 25 psi... this gives you an opportunity to add air and get you home safely.. without the sensors you wont know if your tires are going flat until your car becomes unstable... if this occurs at 70 mph, by the time your get off the road... the tire will probably be toast, and if it goes ballistic, then you've lost an expensive wheel as well... forget about the grief of waiting to get towed... a flat tire on most state highways, without a spare will glean you a ticket.
Get the sensors
Good luck
Bill aka ET
Old 09-06-2006, 07:29 PM
wyndzer
Instructor

I'm 99% sure that it can't be done period.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:36 PM
sft316
Instructor

thanks, maybe i will get those sensors put in if you think it will save me. as you can see i am new to corvettes. i am used to running my mustang into the ground but now i am pleased to make the jump to chevy. thanks!
Old 09-06-2006, 08:21 PM
bobby1999c5
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default sensors

The tire pressure sensors can be turned off using the tech II. The Z06's don't have sensors and they can add sensors just like you can take yours off. I added twilight sentinel to my car by adding a sensor and turning it on using the tech II and I if I remember correctly, I saw it in the menu.
Old 09-06-2006, 08:39 PM
Silver98
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bobby1999c5
The tire pressure sensors can be turned off using the tech II. The Z06's don't have sensors and they can add sensors just like you can take yours off. I added twilight sentinel to my car by adding a sensor and turning it on using the tech II and I if I remember correctly, I saw it in the menu.
That's not entirely correct. Scott, I see in your profile you have a 97 and that means you can not turn off the TPM. I won't push this on you, but even without run-flats, the TPM is not a bad thing and adds so little unsprung weight that it ain't going to hurt your performance. Now, with that said, the 97 TP sensors are VERY close to the end of the battery life, so if it hasn't already happened, you will start getting error messages on your DIC from the TPM. To replace the sensors, you have to unmount the tire and replace the sensor, which is integral with the air valve. They are NOT cheap, close to $90 each. So, you have a decision to make, live with the DIC error message, which I am told can be quite annoying, or replace the sensors.

Good Luck
Old 09-06-2006, 08:48 PM
frty9r
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Silver98
That's not entirely correct. Scott, I see in your profile you have a 97 and that means you can not turn off the TPM. I won't push this on you, but even without run-flats, the TPM is not a bad thing and adds so little unsprung weight that it ain't going to hurt your performance. Now, with that said, the 97 TP sensors are VERY close to the end of the battery life, so if it hasn't already happened, you will start getting error messages on your DIC from the TPM. To replace the sensors, you have to unmount the tire and replace the sensor, which is integral with the air valve. They are NOT cheap, close to $90 each. So, you have a decision to make, live with the DIC error message, which I am told can be quite annoying, or replace the sensors.

Good Luck

Or replace battieries if you're a DIY
Old 09-06-2006, 08:59 PM
sft316
Instructor

i would ove to replace them myself but i don't have the means to get inside the tires. i think i will pay to get this taken care of and forget about it. how long do the batteries last in the sensors?
Old 09-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

So much bad information here....same old stuff.
When we developed the C5, there was no thoughts of a Z06. The PCM and the BCM was designed without the option of turning off that which was a stock item on all C5 from 97 through 2000, It wasn't until 2001 that the option was added to the PCM algoritims. This option was added because the non runflat tires of the New Z06 did not come with sensors. Therefore a program had to be written to accomodate both run flat and non runflat applications. At this time the second gen sensors were added. This did not happen until 2001. Dont ask me how I know.
The original poster of this thread has a 97 and there is no option to turn off or on the sensors.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:49 PM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
_
Ahh, it lives!!!
Old 09-06-2006, 11:02 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

About how much does the dealer charge to do just the programing? I would like to add twilight and tire monitoring to my Z06. Thanks.

Last edited by erick_e; 09-06-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:34 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default tire sensors

How do you change the battery in the tire sensors?
Thought they were NON-REPLACABLE
Old 09-07-2006, 01:59 PM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

Originally Posted by bighank
How do you change the battery in the tire sensors?
Thought they were NON-REPLACABLE
They're meant to be non-replacable, but some have tried with mixed results. The problem is you won't know if it works until the repaired unit is installed and driven.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:02 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by sft316
how long do the batteries last in the sensors?
My '00 FRC (built in late '99) is running on the original sensors, with almost 145K miles on them. So they last quite a while.

Ditto on using the sensors; I absolutely love my TPWS: I picked up a nail in one tire (non runflats), the TPWS told me when the pressure went below 25. I then monitored the leak (it was a typical leak, about 1 psi per 5 minutes), took the nearest exit, pulled into a parking lot, got out my SafetySeal plug kit, pulled the screw, plugged the tire, aired it back up with my $10 Walmart pump, and was back on the road in less than 15 minutes.

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
It wasn't until 2001 that the option was added to the PCM algoritims. This option was added because the non runflat tires of the New Z06 did not come with sensors.
ET, long time no read! Welcome back! (or, where have I been?)

One question (you can PM me the answer if you want) that I've always wanted to know:

Why did GM *not* install TPWS on the Z06. I realize that Z06s don't have runflats, but so what? IMO, the cars that can use TPWS the most are those without RF tires.

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 09-07-2006, 02:57 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Yep,, I would like to know that answer toooo!!!

erick_e

It should take the GM Tech about 30 Min to program the TPS in or out of your BCM. (I don't know why you would ever want them programmed out!!! ) The problem is,,,good luck finding a dealer that is that familiar with the TECH II to know how to do it or is willing to do it. It took me three dealers to find one that was willing and I had to provide them the procedure/TECH II step by step. they charged me one hour labor. They tried to charge me the shop surcharge for shop rag and hazardous waste disposal until i raised holy hell!!!!! Got that charge removed ASAP!

Theres an article in C5 tech that details how to change the batteries, what batteries to purchase and where to get them for a good price! It a great article and YES you can test the sensors before you install them. If the BCM will recognize each sensor, there all working! It wont read pressure but you can tell if the battery replacement worked! changing the battery should not have any effect on the sensor reading pressure. If it worked (read pressure) prior to battery replacement, it "SHOULD " work after battery replacement.

Here is the LINK!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...=1030589&pp=20

Hope this helps! Also hope that if you were considering removing the sensors or letting them die, you changed your mind!!!

Bill Curlee
Old 09-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Very simple....... COST. and Govt compliance.
As Ive said many times, weight and keeping within the budget were the primary concerns. The Fix a flat kit, and the super tires were govt compliant... while adding sensors would have been over budget,..
Dont laugh, I was witness to many weight and cost savings issues... going from aluminum to plastic to balsa wood substrates. Saving 1.5 cents a copy on color matched stowage latches.
The super tires went with the super car, but they were not run flat, so a flat kit had to be devised. Adding sensors would have been way over budget on this particular project. If the money was there the sensors would have been there too.... Its the reason why the leather is so cheap, etc... this car could have easily been 80 to 90 grand... keeping it at 50 grand was quite an Enterprise... If the car was better, we would have missed the target audience, because you and I could not afford the car.
This is nothing earth shaking, I posted this stuff many many times.
I dont want to get into why GM didnt.....
I just want to say I was happy to be a part of what was done...
I dont want to hear any engineering bashing.
Its a 100,000 dollar American sports car with a 50,000 dollar price tag.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:49 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Default Bill Curlee

Bill, As I have said many times. you can check communications with the BCM with the sensors off the car. This does not guarantee the pressure reading.. it is the reason why several guys tried to start up a business... You can not check function until they are rolling and in the tire.. Many people have tried to replace the batteries... It wasnt until they actually asked the BCM to read the pressure tht they had problems.
Shock and heat( cause by removing the pot material and resoldering the battery tabs.) could be small enough to allow communications, but inhibit the pressure function.. This has been the case every time...
Those companies tested communications before they sent them out, only to have guys return them saying they could learn the sensors but they didnt read the pressure.

Get notified of new replies

To how to turn off tire sensor system

Old 09-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Silver98
Burning Brakes

^ Missed you. Welcome back. And in case it hasn't been said to you in awhile,
Thanks for the effort on the C5. I love my 98. Dependable, Reliable, Quick, Handles, Comfortable, Stylish, Sporty.... Affordable.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:08 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by erick_e
About how much does the dealer charge to do just the programing? I would like to add twilight and tire monitoring to my Z06. Thanks.
With all due respect to Bill Curlee, who knows far more about these cars then I ever will, my dealer turned on the TPS in my Z06 in literally less than 5 minutes. I had the how-to printout from ??? (Stoptech maybe-I don't recall offhand) in hand; once the mechanic plugged the Tech II into the OBD port under the driver's side dash, I read the steps to him, he punched them in, and viola !! I would assume it would take about the same amount of time to reverse the process....
Old 09-07-2006, 10:59 PM
zozmanZ06
Instructor

Default Adding TPMS and Twilight Options

Originally Posted by erick_e

The dealer will charge you for an hour's work. But the technician will have no clue how to add TPMS or Twilight Sentinel. I went to several dealers with the knowledge in hand and none would give me the time of day. So I bought my own Tech 2 and did it myself. Grand total time: 21 minutes. The Tech 2 now has a "Tire Pressure Monitor Re-Program" function key to reset all sensors at once. If any forum member wants TPMS and Twilight enabled in their Z06 in Central Illinois, give me a PM.

Randy

Quick Reply: how to turn off tire sensor system