C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Front end of C5

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 05:07 PM
rdny74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Front end of C5

Tried to lower front end of car with stock bolts. I read that you should turn bolt with 10mm wrench counter clock wise to lower the car's front end on stock suspension. But the bolt doesn't move. Am I doing something wrong? How do I lower the front end with the stock bolts? Please Help!

Ok tried to lower bolts in front but they won't budge. The threads are stripped. The washer on bushing looks welded to thread. Is that how its supposed to be? Should I cut the bolts and buy new ones? Please help
Old 09-15-2006, 05:46 PM
97C5ENVY
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'd be hard pressed to turn the front adjusting bolts if the spring pressure isn't relieved first. You can do this by placing a floor jack under the leaf spring as close as possible to the adjuster bolt you are trying to turn, and raise the spring up enough to turn the adjusting bolt. It now should turn fairly easily.

BTW you can't buy the adjusting bolts by themselves, you have to buy the entire front spring to get them (~$400)....so don't cut the bolts.

However you want to lower the car even further then what the ajusting bolts allow you can cut the rubber bushing at the end of the adjusting bolts. This will lower the front by about another ~1/2".
Old 09-15-2006, 09:41 PM
kvozel
Safety Car

Location: Centerville OH "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane"
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7 & 9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Check out this and this..
Old 09-15-2006, 10:10 PM
vette747
Racer

In addition to all the good above information and soaking in WD40 for 3 days it was not moving. I use an heat gun (did not wanted to use welding torche on the composite leaf spring). I did not heated too much. Just until it was too hot to be touched by hand. It came loose with no problem.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:57 PM
RickC5
Advanced

Mine were pretty tough, but, you just gotta use brute force.. thats the way cars and machinery in general like it.

brute force.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:40 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I would also use a six point wrench, not 12 point.

Get notified of new replies

To Lowering Front end of C5

Quick Reply: Lowering Front end of C5