C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing output shaft seal...any others??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 12:40 PM
GREG O.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for the info and pics!!! GREG O.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:48 AM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by pylant
Was wondering if anyone has ever used ATV with these seals?
No, do not use sealer on the seals pictured above. You do/can (and I recommend) using a sealer on the big o-ring between the tranny and the diff.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:36 PM
pylant
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cajundude
No, do not use sealer on the seals pictured above. You do/can (and I recommend) using a sealer on the big o-ring between the tranny and the diff.
Thanks...based on experience what is the most likely cause of the leak between the diff and tranny? Is it the o ring, seal plate or the output shaft seal??

Should all of these be replaced or is just one the most likely problem??

tks
Old 12-29-2016, 03:33 PM
MRC23
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After output shaft seal replacement is completed should a wheel aliment be done?
Old 12-29-2016, 07:42 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by MRC23
After output shaft seal replacement is completed should a wheel aliment be done?
a
As long as you don't remove the upper and lower control arms from their mounting points then no, it's not necessary.
When i replaced my seals I disconnected the knuckle via both upper and lower ball joints and the tie rod end and the only reason I did that was I also replaced all of the ball joints and tie rod ends.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:34 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Use this post to get the MOST out of the differential pull. If it were me, I would do the C6 parts up-grade!!!

In this post, you can see the output shaft seals, the SIDE COVER O Ring and in the very last picture you will see the completely reassembled differential. You can see the machined surface where the transmission housing fits into. There is a LARGE O RING that installs into that transmission tail shaft O ring groove.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-how-to.html

NOTE! The differential that you see in the picture is for a MANUAL Transmission car. It does NOT have a seal plate and the differential lube is not contained in the differential!

IF,,,,,,,,,,,,, You have an automatic A4 transmission, there will be an additional PLATE that fits into the differential between the differential and the transmission.. That plate has its own O ring seal & a lip seal for the output shaft of the transmission where it slides into the differential.

Use the post provided to see where all the O ring and lip seals go.

ANOTHER NOTE! The differential VENT can and does leak if the small rubber flap inside the vent gets old. I recommend replacing the vent while its out!
Old 12-30-2016, 01:14 PM
SG Lou
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Use this post to get the MOST out of the differential pull. If it were me, I would do the C6 parts up-grade!!!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ld-how-to.html
HOLY CRAP..........TALK ABOUT A DETAILED POST
Never seen it before.
The following users liked this post:
solidaxel (09-26-2017)

Quick Reply: Replacing output shaft seal...any others??