C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C1288 Steering Position Sensor....

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 09:42 AM
DoABurnout
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C1288 Steering Position Sensor....

2001 Z06: After the mess of crazy electrical problems I was having, I took the advise of the Electrical Sticky and cleaned the grounds. They all looked fine, but I cleaned them anyway. It seems to have cleared up everything except for an intermittent C1288 Steering Position Sensor. It seems to almost always only happen on a right turn where the wheel turns more than 100 degrees or so, and like I said, is intermittent. It hasn’t happened in a while, but this morning it happened on every right turn, even while turning the wheels to the right at a dead stop (to try and rule out any of the other AH sensors). Maybe temp related? Is it a common issue in the C5 (sensor, connector, etc.?), and is there an easy way to test the sensor output to see if it really is the culprit before I go ahead and replace it?
Old 11-28-2009, 09:58 AM
ragtopws6
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by DoABurnout
2001 Z06: After the mess of crazy electrical problems I was having, I took the advise of the Electrical Sticky and cleaned the grounds. They all looked fine, but I cleaned them anyway. It seems to have cleared up everything except for an intermittent C1288 Steering Position Sensor. It seems to almost always only happen on a right turn where the wheel turns more than 100 degrees or so, and like I said, is intermittent. It hasn’t happened in a while, but this morning it happened on every right turn, even while turning the wheels to the right at a dead stop (to try and rule out any of the other AH sensors). Maybe temp related? Is it a common issue in the C5 (sensor, connector, etc.?), and is there an easy way to test the sensor output to see if it really is the culprit before I go ahead and replace it?
It is definately your sensor. Only way to see it when it happens is to use Tech II to see the voltage when turning. These do go bad and I have replaced 2 in the last year (not mine). Replacing the sensor is a PIA but you should be able to do it. Just remember to remove the driver's seat before hand, that will make things easier. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:15 PM
DoABurnout
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea what the GM part number might be for one?
Old 11-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Before you get too involved in the SWPS replacement, un-plug and reconnect the sensor and make sure that its not a bad connection. Seen that in the past. If that doesn't help, replacement is straight forward. Contact Gene Culley at www.gmpartshouse.com for the best prices on that part.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To C1288 Steering Position Sensor....

Quick Reply: C1288 Steering Position Sensor....