C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C1232 LF Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 02:45 PM
wagner262
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C1232 LF Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted

would this code be the reason my active handling and abs lights are on, on the dash? only code i pulled besides was a tpms code for no sensors.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:47 PM
mickey_7106
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wagner262
would this code be the reason my active handling and abs lights are on, on the dash? only code i pulled besides was a tpms code for no sensors.
Yes. check the sticky thread for more info
Old 04-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Unless theres some sort of obivous phisical damage to the wheel HUB,, I HIGHLY doubt that theres ANYTHING wrong with it.

90% of the WSS issues are caused by damaged female connector pins in the jumper harness or the connector the jumper harness plugs into on the frame K member.

If you have female pins that look like this,,, thats part of the issue!!! The one on the RIGHT is hosed and needs to be bent back in shape with a pick or replaced!

BC
Old 04-08-2011, 05:55 PM
wagner262
Pro

There is damaged to that wheel but I don't know if it's that bad that its bent. Is the lights on my dash and the wheel two different problems?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

There is damaged to that wheel but I don't know if it's that bad that its bent. Is the lights on my dash and the wheel two different problems?
It isn't the wheel that you need to be concerned about. The wheel bearing ( hub ) has the ABS sensor inside it. There are two wires coming out of the rear of the hub that go to the connector shown above. Check the wires and the connector to make sure they are in good condition. As Bill C says it is unlikely the sensor in the hub failed although it has been known to happen. You can also plug a DVM into the wires and then spin the hub to see if you get an analog voltage reading.

The ABS, TC and AH cannot function if one of the wheel speed sensors isn't working properly. They all need to know what that wheel speed is in reference to the other 3 wheel speeds.

Bill
Old 04-08-2011, 06:11 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

I've got the same code, and I have a new hub and rebuilt ebcm.

Gonna try out the harness thing next.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:15 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Joshua
I've got the same code, and I have a new hub and rebuilt ebcm.

Gonna try out the harness thing next.

Not sure what you find that will be the problem but there is a lesson here. Always start with the simplest and least costly repair first.

Bill
Old 04-11-2011, 11:55 AM
wagner262
Pro

So I swapped out the wheel sensors that you said. Just switching rf to lf for each other and the code went off.. Traction and active handling is gone! I haven't driven anywhere yet but I think it worked? Im not sure why switching sides would turn it off. If it comes on again atleast I know I just have to replace those!
Old 04-14-2011, 02:13 PM
wagner262
Pro

so the abs and active handling light went off on the dash. but now when i go above 60 traction control comes on and it kills the gas.. i turn off the TC and it drives just fine. the only codes i pulled up was the tire pressure sensors but thats because i dont have any installed other than that theres no other codes. im guess its the wheel sensor harness need to be replaced? sound right?
Old 04-14-2011, 04:00 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 367 Likes on 260 Posts

so the abs and active handling light went off on the dash. but now when i go above 60 traction control comes on and it kills the gas.. i turn off the TC and it drives just fine. the only codes i pulled up was the tire pressure sensors but thats because i dont have any installed other than that theres no other codes. im guess its the wheel sensor harness need to be replaced? sound right?
There is detailed fix for the female side of the ABS wires done by a French Canadian on another Corvette site. The connection prongs need to be 're-sprung' but it is not as it first appears. You have to take the connections apart and bend them backwards from what would be logical. Then they work perfectly.

Ask me how I know.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:04 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

For your AH and ABS to come on, the car has to think that your steering it in another direction that it is really going.

Is your steering wheel pointed DEAD NUTS STRAIGHT when the car is going straight down a level straight road????

Your yaw accelerometer could be having issues or your Steering Wheel Position Sensor is bad.

BC
Old 04-14-2011, 06:14 PM
wagner262
Pro

for the most part its pretty straight but does steer to the right very very slightly..
if it was one of those wouldnt a code go off? i pulled the codes and there wasnt anything...

whats my next move in diagnosing this?
Old 04-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Why would a DTC be set for the car reacting to a NORMAL response. Your wheels are pointing STRAIGHT but your steering wheel is pointing in a DIFFERENT direction. The car is applying braking correction to get the car to go in the direction that the STEERING WHEEL is pointing.

If you have TC issues, it would be a Whees Speed Sensor Issue and the car thinks the wheels are loosing traction or are spinning at different speeds. Sounds like the signal for one of the wheel sensors is not correct.

My recommendation would be find out how and when the wheel started to point in an off center when going straight situation. (could be parts / could be alignment related) and or We issues.

When it acts up again, please note any and all DIC Messages.

BC
Old 04-14-2011, 06:37 PM
wagner262
Pro

it doesnt let me go above 60mph, period. it turns tc on straight line or in a turn. im guessing its for sure the sensors then?

Get notified of new replies

To C1232 LF Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted

Quick Reply: C1232 LF Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted