C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differential seals question: overfill or leaky seal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 09:02 AM
danny99
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
With the car LEVEL, drive train COLD, remove the fill. When you remove it, there should be a very slight in rush of air into the differential (vacuum)

If the vent is working correctly, it will let pressure out but should seal if there isn't any pressure. When it seal and the diff case cools, a small vacuum forms inside the case.

This vacuum helps the output shaft seals SEAL.

If the car is level and you remove the fill plug, any overfill will run out.

Bill
Thanks for the information Bill. I haven't done this yet, but yesterday I brought the car to a real knowledgeable friend who got under and took a look at it, he said it's just the car venting. Previous owner never drove it (21k miles, and 200 miles in the last couple years) and I put maybe 600 miles on in the last 7 days.Haven't had any drops recently .. I'll keep an eye on it
Old 09-24-2016, 01:22 PM
rayz1951
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed a small drip on my garage floor, left side of car. After reading some posts I concluded it was coming from the vent. I put the rear end in the air and there it was, a tiny pool of oil sitting in one of the crevasses next to the vent, which dripped down on to the left side of the leaf spring. I am the 2nd owner of an 04 with 12k on it so I assume it still has factory fluid in it. Should I be concerned, is it normal for the factory to overfill?

Last edited by rayz1951; 09-24-2016 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:39 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rayz1951
I noticed a small drip on my garage floor, left side of car. After reading some posts I concluded it was coming from the vent. I put the rear end in the air and there it was, a tiny pool of oil sitting in one of the crevasses next to the vent, which dripped down on to the left side of the leaf spring. I am the 2nd owner of an 04 with 12k on it so I assume it still has factory fluid in it. Should I be concerned, is it normal for the factory to overfill?
It is normal. Mine does the same thing specially if I drive aggressively. I did also have a seal replaced so I know the difference between a seal leak and a vent leak. I don't get leakage if I do not drive aggressively.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:20 PM
meat85
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by craig04c5
It is normal. Mine does the same thing specially if I drive aggressively. I did also have a seal replaced so I know the difference between a seal leak and a vent leak. I don't get leakage if I do not drive aggressively.
on mine it only leaks when car sits for few days then once I start it and start to back out then that's when it starts to leak what do you think it could be
Old 04-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The vent is suppose to let pressure escape and seal when no pressure is present. It consist of a little rubber disk and a small spring that puts slight pressure on the seal.

Under normal conditions when the differentiall is cold, the sealed vent allows a very slight vacuum to form as the diff cools down. That helps it keep the lube in.

If you remove the fill plug and have a very slight inrush of air, the seal is functioning correctly.

Some people remove the vent guts and put a rubber hose on it to help keep the oil from leking out. Kind of like the vent hose on a 4X4.

Make SURE that the diff has the correct oil level in it. DO NOT overfill it.

Bill
Old 04-06-2017, 08:36 AM
meat85
Advanced

The vent is suppose to let pressure escape and seal when no pressure is present. It consist of a little rubber disk and a small spring that puts slight pressure on the seal.

Under normal conditions when the differentiall is cold, the sealed vent allows a very slight vacuum to form as the diff cools down. That helps it keep the lube in.

If you remove the fill plug and have a very slight inrush of air, the seal is functioning correctly.

Some people remove the vent guts and put a rubber hose on it to help keep the oil from leking out. Kind of like the vent hose on a 4X4.

Make SURE that the diff has the correct oil level in it. DO NOT overfill it.

Bill
thanks so when it does then I'm probably loosing a lot of fluid should I get fluid level checked also a month ago I did the gasket on transmission pan new filter and fluids could it have been over filled
Old 04-06-2017, 03:01 PM
meat85
Advanced

With the car LEVEL, drive train COLD, remove the fill. When you remove it, there should be a very slight in rush of air into the differential (vacuum)

If the vent is working correctly, it will let pressure out but should seal if there isn't any pressure. When it seal and the diff case cools, a small vacuum forms inside the case.

This vacuum helps the output shaft seals SEAL.

If the car is level and you remove the fill plug, any overfill will run out.

Bill
with it being over filled will it take time for it to not leak anymore

Quick Reply: Differential seals question: overfill or leaky seal?