Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
SuzukiDan7
CF Senior Member

Default Help finding engine squeak (squeaky idler pulley?)

I have a squeak noise coming from the engine that is consistent with the engine RPMs on my 02 z06. Car has 86,000 miles and runs great. I have tried poking my head around to find the squeaky pulley, it sounds like a bearing is starting to go but I cant figure out where the noise is originating from. It sounds slightly louder on the passenger side of the engine but its hard to tell.
I've been searching on here for a while and can't come up with anything that gives me a place to start other than replacing the belt, but it really does not sound like belt squeal to me it sounds like metal / bearing squeak. I've had pulleys go on other cars and it sounds just like that.
I tried to spray some wd-40 into the bearing on a few pulleys like the tensioner and a couple within arms reach of there, but couldnt safely spray the rest without getting oil on the belt too. The squeak is still the same so it does not seem to be the pulleys I sprayed unless it just wasn't getting into the bearings.

I also read about the harmonic balancer / crank pulley issue for the 05 cars, and I noticed my harmonic balancer does have a very slight wobble to it. Is this something to be concerned about? Does that recall apply to c5 cars as well? I cant find the actual recall posting on here.

So what do you guys think? How can I track down the squeaker? Its embarassing when I pull up, the car looks so nice and sounds good other than the little birdy under the hood which somehow is still heard over the engine itself..
SuzukiDan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Sigforty
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Sigforty Send a message via MSN to Sigforty Send a message via Yahoo to Sigforty

Could be the idler pulley or tension pulley on the main belt system, but if you think it is more on the passenger side I would look at the idler and tensioner on the AC system which has a separate belt.
Sigforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
BigGun
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzukiDan7 View Post
I have a squeak noise coming from the engine that is consistent with the engine RPMs on my 02 z06. Car has 86,000 miles and runs great. I have tried poking my head around to find the squeaky pulley, it sounds like a bearing is starting to go but I cant figure out where the noise is originating from. It sounds slightly louder on the passenger side of the engine but its hard to tell.
I've been searching on here for a while and can't come up with anything that gives me a place to start other than replacing the belt, but it really does not sound like belt squeal to me it sounds like metal / bearing squeak. I've had pulleys go on other cars and it sounds just like that.
I tried to spray some wd-40 into the bearing on a few pulleys like the tensioner and a couple within arms reach of there, but couldnt safely spray the rest without getting oil on the belt too. The squeak is still the same so it does not seem to be the pulleys I sprayed unless it just wasn't getting into the bearings.

I also read about the harmonic balancer / crank pulley issue for the 05 cars, and I noticed my harmonic balancer does have a very slight wobble to it. Is this something to be concerned about? Does that recall apply to c5 cars as well? I cant find the actual recall posting on here.

So what do you guys think? How can I track down the squeaker? Its embarassing when I pull up, the car looks so nice and sounds good other than the little birdy under the hood which somehow is still heard over the engine itself..
First find out which belt system is making the noise. Pull the serpentine belt and start the car. Still squeaking? Then it's coming from the ac belt system, only 3 pulleys there, 2 are easily replaced. If not squeaking then it is coming from up top somewhere and idler pulley and tensioner are the top suspects.
BigGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
bumble-z
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGun View Post
First find out which belt system is making the noise. Pull the serpentine belt and start the car. Still squeaking? Then it's coming from the ac belt system, only 3 pulleys there, 2 are easily replaced. If not squeaking then it is coming from up top somewhere and idler pulley and tensioner are the top suspects.
BigGun, Good advise there.

Keep an eye on that harmonic pulley, being that it's starting to wobble a bit.

Good luck.
bumble-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Dave68
CF Senior Member

And sometimes a mechanic's stethescope comes in handy for pinpointing out-of-the ordinary noises.
Dave68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
SuzukiDan7
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble-z View Post
BigGun, Good advise there.

Keep an eye on that harmonic pulley, being that it's starting to wobble a bit.

Good luck.
Thanks guys! Can you expand on the wobbling harmonic balancer / pulley problem? Its been this way since I got the car and I just shrugged it off as 'eh its a Chevy' Is this something I should be concerned about? What kind of problems could develop ?
SuzukiDan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
RogerZ06
CF Senior Member

Spray little bit wd40 on the belts. How I found squeaky ac belt.
RogerZ06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:54 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page Help finding engine squeak (squeaky idler pulley?)

Tags
area, balancer, bearing, c5, car, corvette, engine, find, idler, ls1, paint, pulley, squaking, squeak, squeaking, squeaky