C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AMSOIL ATF SYNTHETIC IN A4

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 09:31 PM
KC98C5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMSOIL ATF SYNTHETIC IN A4

Just had a transmission fluid exchange at JiffyLube this afternoon using Amsoil ATF Synthetic in my '98 C5 with auto. The first thing that I noticed on the drive home was how much smoother was the gear changes upon acceleration.

This evening I just had to take it out on the Interstate for another check. I still believe that the shift points are much smoother than before but now I think that it also had faster shifts.

Can't really prove anything, but this is how it feels to me after making this change.

(PS: JiffyLube charged me $70 and made the change using 12 quarts. A transmission shop wanted $90 and would take 16 quarts to be able to flush out the lines on their equipment. Another transmission shop estimated that it would take 30 quarts to get their lines flushed out and make the change and the boss man wasn't there to give out a price estimate).
Old 05-21-2002, 10:43 PM
Mitch C
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: AMSOIL ATF SYNTHETIC IN A4 (KC98C5)

I would not use a synthetic ATF in my tranny, synthetic ATF is more slippery and can cause slippage. I would use a good regular ATF instead.

98 A4
Powerloaded
Donaldson Blackwing
172 t.stat
Pro Torque 2400
3.42 Gears

Old 05-22-2002, 07:03 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: AMSOIL ATF SYNTHETIC IN A4 (Mitch C)

I would not use a synthetic ATF in my tranny, synthetic ATF is more slippery and can cause slippage. I would use a good regular ATF instead.
Huh? :eek: Been using sythetic ATF in all my cars for years with no problems. Much more heat tolerant, and heat is the primary killer of an auto tranny.
Old 05-22-2002, 07:47 AM
IMQUIK
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: AMSOIL ATF SYNTHETIC IN A4 (KC98C5)

To slippery? :lol: Amsoil is the Best for all automatics. :smash:
I had mine pumped in too :yesnod: All 14 quarts! The system that they use can not over fill the transmission. Go get ya some,A4 guys & Gals. :yesnod:
Old 05-23-2002, 11:08 AM
KC98C5
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: AMSOIL ATF SYNTHETIC IN A4 (tshac)

The portable transmission exchange equipment that JiffyLube used had a clear PVC line from the reservior to the transmission cooler line that was approx 6' long and at the max would take less than 1/2 qt to flush. At about $8/qt for 5 or more qts used for flushing that other posts are talking about, that can soon run into some big bucks.

If you have never seen the underside of your C5 then you may not be aware of how close the exhaust pipes cradle the trans and rear end. I put synthetics in both to help with the heat problem and with normal wear and tear...the smooth shifts were an unexpected surprise!

Get notified of new replies

To AMSOIL ATF SYNTHETIC IN A4

Quick Reply: AMSOIL ATF SYNTHETIC IN A4