C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Callaway or Dual Cone Cold Air Intake??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 07:49 PM
mello-yello
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Callaway or Dual Cone Cold Air Intake??

Hello all;
New guy here with a recently purchased 2004 coupe. I just bought a Dual-Cone intake system along with a power duct & coupler.
As I was removing what I thought was the stock Corvette air cleaner box I noticed at the top of the air intake the word "Callaway" and once I reached the green air cleaner, it also had "Callaway" stamped on it.
As Callaway is well-known for performance products, did I just spend $500 for little or no performance gain?
Sure, the dual-cone looks nice but if it doesn't significantly improve performance over the Callaway, I could use that $500 towards other items. Thoughts anyone?
Finally, if I go with the dual cone system, any thoughts about leaving the old filter in its stock position under the dual-cone? It looks like it might reduce the amount of dirt & crap brought up into the area of the air filters, but I'm open to suggestions.
Thank you all.
Mark
Old 06-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by mello-yello
Hello all;
New guy here with a recently purchased 2004 coupe. I just bought a Dual-Cone intake system along with a power duct & coupler.
As I was removing what I thought was the stock Corvette air cleaner box I noticed at the top of the air intake the word "Callaway" and once I reached the green air cleaner, it also had "Callaway" stamped on it.
As Callaway is well-known for performance products, did I just spend $500 for little or no performance gain?
Sure, the dual-cone looks nice but if it doesn't significantly improve performance over the Callaway, I could use that $500 towards other items. Thoughts anyone?
Finally, if I go with the dual cone system, any thoughts about leaving the old filter in its stock position under the dual-cone? It looks like it might reduce the amount of dirt & crap brought up into the area of the air filters, but I'm open to suggestions.
Thank you all.
Mark
how much for the callaway?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:39 PM
corv1998
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

You most likely wont notice much of a perf gain , only a increase of intake noise with the dual cone. I would save some cash and get a nice cat-back system ,as the callaway and cat-back work together . More air in ,more out.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:58 PM
0Callaway Chris
Former Vendor

Received 738 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by mello-yello
Hello all;
Thank you all.
Mark
Welcome to the Forum!

The Dual-Cone filter will actually REDUCE power over the Callaway Honker, which is the best performing air filtration system on the market. When designed, we could have used any of the other systems commercially available however, none were able to flow enough air or meet our quality standards - so we designed and built our own.

Look for the Vette Magazine Article about the C5 Honker. It shows the gains nicely over stock, and an open element system like the one you bought. Hope you can return for credit. Honker is the best, period!

www.callawaycars.com
Old 06-03-2012, 09:27 PM
mello-yello
Heel & Toe

Thanks so much for the Callaway info. I was rather surprised the Callaway system didn't have more "bling" or markings as well-known as they are in the Corvette world. It wasn't till I got to removing things that I saw the name. Didn't see any part numbers or large name so I want to confirm thats what I removed. It really looked mostly stock.
Thanks again,
Mark
Old 06-03-2012, 09:34 PM
mello-yello
Heel & Toe

Wow, great reference to the Callaway site---it appears it is a Honker system the previous owner installed. And very good performance reviews on it as well.
Mark
Old 06-04-2012, 02:06 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That dual cone thing actually is worse than a stock set up,keep what you have for sure!
Old 06-04-2012, 03:04 AM
hardcore4sure
Burning Brakes

$500 for a dual cone, a powerduct and coupler? You got ripped sir. Thats worth $150 at best, like $100 for the power duct and $50 for the dual crap. Not to mention the fact that the Callaway is way better anywayz.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:25 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Hope you can return the dual cone. Keep the Honker. The fact that it is stock looking to me is an attractive selling point. I have had mine for several years.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:04 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Calloway
Old 06-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm having a hard time believing that a double cone setup with quality filters (not Ebay generic) is worse than stock. Equivalent maybe, but not worse as long as you open up your fog light intake slots to allow fresh air into the air cleaner area.
It is completely understandable that the Honker system would perform better just based on the fact that it gets its fresh air from underneath the radiator shroud. However, you need to cut your radiator shroud. Not everyone is comfortable with doing this.
So there is nothing wrong with the twin cone setup per se, it's just a question of allowing more fresh air to enter the engine compartment and reach the air filter elements.

Last edited by Cybermind; 06-04-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:23 AM
mello-yello
Heel & Toe

Thank you hardcore4sure. Fortunately I did not tamper with the new dual-cone and the company that I purchased it from states they will do refunds/exchanges. They are a MAJOR Corvette parts supplier, located in "Mid America".
Old 06-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Cybermind
I'm having a hard time believing that a double cone setup with quality filters (not Ebay generic) is worse than stock. Equivalent maybe, but not worse as long as you open up your fog light intake slots to allow fresh air into the air cleaner area.
It is completely understandable that the Honker system would perform better just based on the fact that it gets its fresh air from underneath the radiator shroud. However, you need to cut your radiator shroud. Not everyone is comfortable with doing this.
So there is nothing wrong with the twin cone setup per se, it's just a question of allowing more fresh air to enter the engine compartment and reach the air filter elements.
you are correct... the dual cone actually performs very well.

Calloway and vararam are the top two then the dual cone and breathless performance
Old 06-04-2012, 07:46 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Just get a Blackwing and be done with it.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Z06Durham
Advanced

Originally Posted by jrose7004
Just get a Blackwing and be done with it.
that's what I did Though the Callaway was my 2nd choice, just didn't want to shell out that much for it. Don't forget the hood seal either (nut sure why that wasn't there to begin with from GM)

Last edited by Z06Durham; 06-04-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:47 PM
02koolC5
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Callaway Honker FTW the only to go!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can only say I notice a difference on the top end on the freeway, prior on the stock it was restrictive, but after installing the Dual cone from "West Coast Corvette" she openned up and air flows much better. I don't notice any noise coming from the intake. I also installed a cat back from FlowMaster and she is runs great. You gain some but to really see an improvement would require, heads, cams, headers (longtube) and a tune to get max from this setup.. I still like the looks and small percent gain.. See below:

Get notified of new replies

To Callaway or Dual Cone Cold Air Intake??

Old 06-04-2012, 10:48 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Keep the Callaway Honker over the Dual Cone!

Thanks,Matt
Old 06-04-2012, 10:50 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesse Asis
I can only say I notice a difference on the top end on the freeway, prior on the stock it was restrictive, but after installing the Dual cone from "West Coast Corvette" she openned up and air flows much better. I don't notice any noise coming from the intake. I also installed a cat back from FlowMaster and she is runs great. You gain some but to really see an improvement would require, heads, cams, headers (longtube) and a tune to get max from this setup.. I still like the looks and small percent gain.. See below:
I love my dual cone...and it is way easier to take out than my blackwing that was jammed in so tight I had to wrestle with it to get it back in position.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:54 PM
kris6868
Burning Brakes

So those cone intakes are going for $500 these days?

Quick Reply: Callaway or Dual Cone Cold Air Intake??