C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for an aftermarket gas cap.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 04:55 PM
4ME2DRV
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for an aftermarket gas cap.

I have a stock 2004 C5 coupe. I'm looking for an aftermarket gas cap that will stop the reoccurring P0492 code from coming back. I replace the gas cap with another GM stock one and it only lasts so long. I've heard other got aftermarket caps that fix the problem. Please let me know which one you got if yours fixed the crappy gas cap issue. Thanks
Old 04-03-2014, 09:55 PM
4ME2DRV
Advanced

Thanks 8VETTE7. Anyone else using the Stant gas cap without issue?
Old 04-04-2014, 07:00 AM
FLZapped
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a tiny amount of synthetic grease on the seal and some on the locking ears of my stock cap. Works fine now. It really is a poor design, though.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:32 AM
4ME2DRV
Advanced

I guess its good that the gas cap is crappy and not something more major. haha
Old 04-05-2014, 12:03 PM
GREENKAR
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by FLZapped
I put a tiny amount of synthetic grease on the seal and some on the locking ears of my stock cap. Works fine now. It really is a poor design, though.
You can also just replace the gasket on the cap. However you can't buy just the gasket. So you buy the Stant gas cap from RockAuto for about $7.00. Remove the gasket and put it on your OEM gas cap. Problem solved. The gasket gets dry and cracks, after all its 13yrs old or more.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:31 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Interesting...just got this P0492 code on my '04 coupe this morning. The last two fill ups at the gas station I was having problems getting the gas cap to stay in place. I would turn and give it a little pull to ensure it was locked and the damn thing came right back out. Did this a few times before it felt secure.

I'm the 2nd owner and I was told by the previous guy when I bought it to pull on the cap like that as he had this problem too. He got a new cap from the dealership.

I've been reading about the P0492 code and most related it back to the AIR system. Might have to go check my gas cap though now.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for an aftermarket gas cap.

Quick Reply: Looking for an aftermarket gas cap.