C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charge System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 03:09 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a voltmeter and check voltage at the output of the alternator and then down by the starter.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:20 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by LSXgirl02
I cleaned all those ground, i disabled the message the issue is that car keeps burning up alternators when I put a full load on it. I need it to be reliable. I dont want to replace the alternator everytime I make a full pass on the car.
If you keep getting the charging system fault then you have not disabled it.

I'm not telling you to check the grounds. You have to check the red power wires that all connect to the top big stud on the starter solenoid.

You also need to use your voltmeter and start by measuring the voltage at the stud on the alternator and then at the battery and then at the stud on the under hood fuse block. You're looking for a big change in the readings. Otherwise, you're running around randomly poking at things hoping the problem just goes away.

The fusible links are on the wires going to the starter. There are 2 wires that come from the alternator. There is a soft piece of wire about 5" long attached to the ends with the loop which goes onto the starter stud.

Replacement Valeo alternators are available on Ebay.

Last edited by lionelhutz; 09-22-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:06 PM
reath1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Order an alternator from DC Power. Bolt it on. Enjoy! I tried 3 different new and rebuilt alts on my car. Killed them in a matter of minutes. Charge fault with each. Ordered the DC Power unit and was done with it.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You can bolt new alternators on each hour... Your still NOT fixing the main issue.

HOW and WHERE are you seeing 13 VDC????? If you are using the digital DIC reading & or the IPC DC VOLT METER,,, you are NOT reading BATTERY/CHATGING VOLTAGE!!!!!!

Those two meters display the voltage coming out of the IGNITION SWITCH..

Put a DC Voltmeter directly on the battery terminals and on the BATT Terminal on the back of the alternator.

That will show you what the charging system is actually outputting.

Disconnect the battery. Use an OHM Meter and read the positive cable end to the alternator BATT terminal. If you have a good connection yiou will have very close to ZERO OHMS.

Why do you think that you are burning up alternators??

Fusable Links: Look at this picture You can see how the wires change color. The area between the RED wire and the terminal on the solenoid is the FUSABLE LINK

The black covering with the dried goop is a factory fuseable Link:

You can also see another fuse link on the other small red wire.

The purple wire does NOT have a fuse link

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 09-22-2014 at 07:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Charge System Fault