C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 06:09 PM
metalheadbusa
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default vibrations

while i have my car apart let me ask this. i put a clutch in and went with what i could afford at the time. i bought it from Orileys . now i have bought new rubber bushings for to tt . now could the clutch be the source of the vibration or is it the bushings in the TT. is there a better clutch out there and what kind.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:22 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by metalheadbusa
while i have my car apart let me ask this. i put a clutch in and went with what i could afford at the time. i bought it from Orileys . now i have bought new rubber bushings for to tt . now could the clutch be the source of the vibration or is it the bushings in the TT. is there a better clutch out there and what kind.
Did you static balance the FW/PP? Unfortunately, it is likely the clutch assembly.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:25 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You should have matched marked the OLD FW to the Crank. Then had the new fly wheel MATCH BALANCED to the OLD Flywheel

IF, you didn't replace the FW or remove the fly wheel and then reinstall it out of the OEM factory installed position the PP could be causing the vibrations.

Before you disassemble the entire thing, remove the Bell Housing inspection cover. Obtain some metal washers that will fit over the PP bolt shank. Number each of the PP bolts locations on the pressure plate 1-6

Install one washer under bolt #1, start the engine and see if the vibration increases or decreases

If it decreases, add an additional washer to that location until the vibration is gone

If it increases in that location, move the washer to the NEXT bolt location and repeat.

NOTE!! ONE full washer may be too much weight to start with. You may have to grind down a washer to a 1/2 washer weight and start there.

If you find that an amount of off set weights (washers) fixes the vibration issue, MEASURE the exact weight of the washers. Obtain a LONGER PP fastener and then add washers/ trimmed washers to the new longer fastener so the weight of the new longer bolt and the washers is the same as the old bolt and washers.

The longer fastener is needed because the added washer/s reduced the thread engagement in the FW. Make sure that you use the proper grade fastener and the "washers" that you end up using should be Stainless Steel or something that wont rust away over time.

I've helped a few people resolve engine vibration issues using this method with success.

BC
Old 01-30-2015, 01:43 PM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts

Good info Bill!

Is there a similar need for balancing with an auto and can something similar to what you described be done if needed for an auto?

Get notified of new replies

To vibrations

Quick Reply: vibrations