C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's in my Radiator Hose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 02:59 AM
lilmonster
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's in my Radiator Hose?

The radiator on my '04 started leaking and I'm taking everything apart to replace,
then i saw this in lower hose, what is this white stuff in my radiator?

Last edited by lilmonster; 04-21-2015 at 03:06 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:30 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

aluminum oxide? probably the corrosion inhibitors in your antifreeze are spent and you were beginning to corrode the engine. This is why the recommendation to change your antifreeze.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:20 AM
The Big Guy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Yep. Aluminum Oxide. If it is collecting on the hoses imagine what the inside of the radiator tubes and engine block look like. Owners manual says Coolant change at 150K miles or 5 years WHICH EVER COMES FIRST. No one believes the owners manual recommendations.

Never say " NO ONE " ! I have replaced mine 3 times. 50,000,100,000 and 150,000.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:27 PM
lilmonster
Racer

i just purchased this car in Jan, and it's at 160k, looks like the last guy forgot something.
i have the replacement parts on the way.

Anyone know how do i flush the system?
Old 04-21-2015, 03:44 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

When I flushed mine,, I dumped ALL the coolant/water out of the system. Filled the system with fresh water, run to operational temp, allow the system to cool and drained it again. Do this until the system drains CLEAN.

I ran a can of cooling system cleaner (SAFE FOR ALUMINUM BLOCK/RADIATORS) in a fresh fill of clean water and drained the system. Get as much of the water out of the block as possible.

Fill with distilled water and DEXCOOL.

If your wise, you will install a new T stat in the system. You can use wet and dry vac to get more water out of the block with the T stat out.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:01 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
When I flushed mine,, I dumped ALL the coolant/water out of the system. Filled the system with fresh water, run to operational temp, allow the system to cool and drained it again. Do this until the system drains CLEAN.

I ran a can of cooling system cleaner (SAFE FOR ALUMINUM BLOCK/RADIATORS) in a fresh fill of clean water and drained the system. Get as much of the water out of the block as possible.

Fill with distilled water and DEXCOOL.

If your wise, you will install a new T stat in the system. You can use wet and dry vac to get more water out of the block with the T stat out.
I guess you could use distilled water for your flush... and then not have to worry so much about getting all the water out... it's like $.90 a gallon at wally world. Just askin.
How many gallons, how many times to flush? I know it's till it's clean... would that take 2 times or maybe 10 time?

Last edited by 73Corvette; 04-21-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:05 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 73Corvette
I guess you could use distilled water for your flush... and then not have to worry so much about getting all the water out... it's like $.90 a gallon at wally world. Just askin.
How many gallons, how many times to flush? I know it's till it's clean... would that take 2 times or maybe 10 time?
Eh, if you're that worried about it, I'd flush with fresh water until it's clean or nearly so, then a flush with distilled, then distilled + dex. Means less distilled than possibly flushing 3-4 times with distitlled, but still going to get the vast majority of the 'normal' water out.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:11 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Trios
Eh, if you're that worried about it, I'd flush with fresh water until it's clean or nearly so, then a flush with distilled, then distilled + dex. Means less distilled than possibly flushing 3-4 times with distitlled, but still going to get the vast majority of the 'normal' water out.
Yep,, 3-4 times.. It takes a while but,, at least you know its done correctly!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:16 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Trios
Gotch ya...regular water for a couple of flushes then a final rinse with Distilled .... then filler up with Dex and Distilled and give her a good burp and off you go
Thank you
Old 04-21-2015, 04:39 PM
lilmonster
Racer

that's a good idea to replace the t-stat while i have it apart, i'll do that.

question on the water, i see everyone mention distilled water,
I have an RODI water system for my fish tank, and the water comes out squeaky clean.
Can i use this water?
Old 04-21-2015, 04:48 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

I'll bet that system keep the minerals in the water, just buy distilled water, say 6 gallons, what a couple of gallons for each flush.

6 bucks is cheap, for your Corvette.

You want distilled water because the minerals have been removed, just plain water, minerals can cause a build up.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:56 PM
1999corvettels1
Melting Slicks

Received 344 Likes on 253 Posts

My brother used to work for maytag and gave me a awesome cordless iron (battery powered that recharges as it stands on charger)

I had a date and needed to iron my nice shirt, pulled it out to use, bought distilled water, it had this white crust come out on my nice black shirt, then it clogged up.

I called him in Texas and asked if he ever used it, he said yeah, I asked if he put tap water or distilled, he used tap water.

The iron was ruined as far as I could tell, and about ruined my nice shirt.

Imagine a engine heating up and recirculating water and coolant over and over, cooling down, heating up, day in day out.

Last edited by 1999corvettels1; 04-21-2015 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:36 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Since you are replacing the T stat, go ahead and remove the water pump and replace the two gaskets at the flange points. GM gaskets are the best. You will find corrosion there and on the radiator hose nipples which are steel and will be corroded and need to be cleaned off.

Here's a trick. While the water pump is off take your compressed air hose and shove the nozzle into the water pump coolant openings in the block and blow blow blow on both sides, You will get a mess on the ground, but you will get almost every drop of old antifreeze out of the engine. What is left won't matter. About as messy as flushes, but you get it all. except what might be in the heater core, which you can blow out as well. When you blow out the heater, that is an air trap and one of the places that sources air bubbles for a while until you burp the system a couple times.

Those wp ports are low point on the engine block and you get about 2 quarts each side.

Also, the radiator drain petcock is plastic and only takes a quarter turn to open.

While you have that stuff off, you can see the ac belt and idler and tensioner pulleys. Be sure to take that belt off, (I would change it and keep that one for a spare IN THE TRUNK) and check it, the idler, and tensioner for smooth operation. This is the best access you will have to this belt for a while, unless you have a lift.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:08 PM
lilmonster
Racer

Originally Posted by k24556
Since you are replacing the T stat, go ahead and remove the water pump and replace the two gaskets at the flange points. GM gaskets are the best. You will find corrosion there and on the radiator hose nipples which are steel and will be corroded and need to be cleaned off.

Here's a trick. While the water pump is off take your compressed air hose and shove the nozzle into the water pump coolant openings in the block and blow blow blow on both sides, You will get a mess on the ground, but you will get almost every drop of old antifreeze out of the engine. What is left won't matter. About as messy as flushes, but you get it all. except what might be in the heater core, which you can blow out as well. When you blow out the heater, that is an air trap and one of the places that sources air bubbles for a while until you burp the system a couple times.

Those wp ports are low point on the engine block and you get about 2 quarts each side.

Also, the radiator drain petcock is plastic and only takes a quarter turn to open.

While you have that stuff off, you can see the ac belt and idler and tensioner pulleys. Be sure to take that belt off, (I would change it and keep that one for a spare IN THE TRUNK) and check it, the idler, and tensioner for smooth operation. This is the best access you will have to this belt for a while, unless you have a lift.
Thank you, very good ideas, especially at 160k miles.

i was actually thinking about hosing out the block when replacing the tstat.
I still have to blow out the condenser too.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:55 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999corvettels1
My brother used to work for maytag and gave me a awesome cordless iron (battery powered that recharges as it stands on charger)

I had a date and needed to iron my nice shirt, pulled it out to use, bought distilled water, it had this white crust come out on my nice black shirt, then it clogged up.

I called him in Texas and asked if he ever used it, he said yeah, I asked if he put tap water or distilled, he used tap water.

The iron was ruined as far as I could tell, and about ruined my nice shirt.

Imagine a engine heating up and recirculating water and coolant over and over, cooling down, heating up, day in day out.

probably wasn't the water, but the "MAYTAG" iron...

(sorry, never had any luck with Maytag appliances)

Get notified of new replies

To What's in my Radiator Hose?

Quick Reply: What's in my Radiator Hose?