C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rack and pinion rebuild kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 04:47 PM
bobnjudy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rack and pinion rebuild kit

I found a post on the C5 general forum that mentions an Edelmann EDL-8628 rebuild kit. I tracked down the part and it is for C4 rack. Does anyone know if it fits the C5 rack, or was the post on the wrong forum?
Old 05-01-2015, 06:27 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

http://www.plews-edelmann.com/assets..._Newer_102.pdf

Check the Edelmann catalog listing. After it loads, scroll down to page 92. From what it says, it APPEARS to indicate they only offer kits for C5 pumps and nothing for the rack; and yes, they show the 8628 for a 1996 Corvette.

Call their tech line (page A2). Maybe they have introduced a kit since the catalog was published.

HTH
Old 05-13-2015, 01:54 PM
jmchris
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(first post, but read posts on here off and on for some time).

I've been 'racking' my brain the last 3 days on the same issue. (pun intended) I've searched online retail sites, wholesale sites, manufacturer sites, youtube, ebay and about any other place imaginable for information on getting a seal / rebuild kit for a C5 steering rack.

So far I've come up completely blank. I must have found 30 sites selling rebuilt C5 steering racks, but nothing as far as parts to fix a leaky end seal. Anyone posting with input would be much appreciated. I can't believe all the posts I've read of people replacing their rack due to a leak. I'd compare that to replacing your drivers door, if it leaked rain water. It just doesn't make sense to replace an entire assembly, when all is needed is a $2 seal.

Not to mention pulling the rack is a pain in the A... When you can access the rack ends by simply taking the tires off.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Old 05-15-2015, 04:39 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Default seal

Originally Posted by jmchris
(first post, but read posts on here off and on for some time).

I've been 'racking' my brain the last 3 days on the same issue. (pun intended) I've searched online retail sites, wholesale sites, manufacturer sites, youtube, ebay and about any other place imaginable for information on getting a seal / rebuild kit for a C5 steering rack.

So far I've come up completely blank. I must have found 30 sites selling rebuilt C5 steering racks, but nothing as far as parts to fix a leaky end seal. Anyone posting with input would be much appreciated. I can't believe all the posts I've read of people replacing their rack due to a leak. I'd compare that to replacing your drivers door, if it leaked rain water. It just doesn't make sense to replace an entire assembly, when all is needed is a $2 seal.

Not to mention pulling the rack is a pain in the A... When you can access the rack ends by simply taking the tires off.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
If you can get the old seal out, it will give the OD AND ID of the seal. If not, you can measure the OD and ID with a digital vernier caliper. We have a place in Sarasota , Fl. Called Bearings Marketing on Martin Luther Drive. Look it up and give him a call. He's gotten me out of many a jam when it comes to hard to find seals. Good Luck.
Old 05-16-2015, 05:01 PM
jmchris
3rd Gear

kh400,

Thanks much!! I'm planning on pulling the drivers end cap out tomorrow. I'll post any info, hopefully will help others.

Jeff
Old 06-10-2015, 12:05 PM
jmchris
3rd Gear

ok, so I pulled the drivers side boot from the C5 rack. There isn't a shaft seal on that end. I did some looking and found some photos of a rebuild of a C4. It looks like almost the exact same process, but sadly doesn't look like I want to fool with it. The seals are teflon and wouldn't have any give in the ID or OD specs.

So I ordered a rebuilt rack from Mid America Motorworks, and waited 2 WEEKS for it to arrive. It never did. I called and they don't stock them. grrrrrrr... I could have waited forever... They were able to tell me they had NO ETA from their supplier. I guess they just expected me to let my vette sit on jack stands till they felt like getting one in...

Then called a few other online corvette parts places. ALL gave me the same line. They only drop ship from some other company (and they don't seem to actually have any!). The last place I called managed to give me the name of a rebuilder he said he thought was the 'big guy' that everyone had do rack rebuilds. Turn One!.. Ok, figured I had it made... Called turn one. Only able to leave voice mail with sales??? That doesn't make sense. I hit zero and someone answered. The guy tells me their (ONE) sales guy is on vacation... I ask the guy if they have any rebuilt C5 racks in stock as I need one due to my vette already having been set on jack stands for about a month waiting on a MAMotorworks rack that would never come.

low and behold.. The guy says they don't have ANY in stock. He didn't forsee them having any instock anytime soon either. That if I wanted a rack, I'd have to send mine in to get rebuilt. OH and by the way, it would have to be queued up behind any other work they already had. So he couldn't even give me an ETA when I could get it back...

As you can tell all these companies selling rebuilt racks seem to have a 'racket'.. (pun intended).

Good news though! Like the 5th or 6th company I called. Zip-corvette. Has C5 steering racks in stock! Ordered it Monday and just arrived (Wed).!

MAMotorworks is seriously disappointing. I guess they're turning into just another internet parts company that wants to sell everything (they don't have in stock). I won't be getting anything from them again in the future.

Good news... My vette should be back on the road by EOD tomorrow! Thanks to Zip Corvette for actually stocking stuff they have for sale. Novel idea...

Jeff
Old 06-10-2015, 12:17 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Great info Jeff. Thanks for sharing.

Bill
Old 06-10-2015, 12:33 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Yes, ZIP is the place to go for a rebuilt rack. I could have saved you the frustration of searching if you had asked first.

Get notified of new replies

To Rack and pinion rebuild kit

Quick Reply: Rack and pinion rebuild kit