C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke off a bolt on intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 03:37 PM
Kagnus
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Broke off a bolt on intake

A bolt broke off while I was trying to torque it to 44 in/lbs using a beam torque wrench. Now the tip of the bolt is stuck in the head.

What the !@#$ do I do? I'm so pissed right now. Why didn't this work right?

EVERYTHING SAYS 44-in/lbs for the first pass then 89 for the second. I DIDN"T EVEN GET CLOSE TO 20!#%^$#%&@*#%^&(!#@$^@%$&%!#&!#%&!#%&!% #&!#&%!#%&^!#&%
Old 05-25-2015, 03:45 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

44 inch-pounds is about 3.6 foot-lbs. 89 in-lbs is about 7.4 ft-lbs. No way a bolt should have broken at that torque spec.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:57 PM
Kagnus
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
44 inch-pounds is about 3.6 foot-lbs. 89 in-lbs is about 7.4 ft-lbs. No way a bolt should have broken at that torque spec.
i guess i misread the torque wrench and thought it was all in/lbs

so what do i do about this bolt tip that broke off?
Old 05-25-2015, 03:57 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Sounds like the screw body is recessed in the hole? Get a bolt extractor to remove it. You should be able to extract it with that. You can also drill it out carefully and then use a thread tap to restore the threads. Worst case, you install a time-sert to restore the threaded hole in the head. If you're not comfortable doing any of this yourself, install the intake and drive it to a shop to let them repair it for you. You can get away with driving it with one bolt missing from the intake just to get it to a shop if you have no other choice.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:13 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Sometimes you can pick the thing out with a very fine screwdriver. If the top of it has some feature to it, it might be enough to just turn it out. Any drilling requires you have a fixture to hold the drill, otherwise rest assured you'll drill into the head and that won't be very funny.

With a good fixture to center up the drill, you can use a center drill to put a mark in it, then a left hand drill to drill it back out. I'd be surprised though if you can't work that out without any fancy tools.

If you do any drilling, make sure to have a shop-vac running and sitting right there over the hole while you drill so no chips get lost.

My first thought was you got in-lb and ft-lbs mixed up and pow. You need to go buy the 1/4" drive torque wrench.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:43 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

the $10 1/4 drive torque wrenches at HF are +- 10% or better, for what you're doing this is pretty close. a beam wrench is too imprecise at this low of torque.

find a memorial day coupon and go to HF

or, if you want a good one. a digital gearwrench is around 100 bucks
Old 05-25-2015, 09:08 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The fastener should NOT be bottomed out in the hole so it should be very easy to reverse twist out. Even if its broke even with the head,, you should be able to score the rement and back it out with a flat blade screw driver..

Dont make it more difficult than it needs to be. Use the LEAST means necessary to extract it at first and work up words in complexity. They sell very small easyouts. That would be the NEXT logical step id just backing it out with friction doesnt work.

Very carefully center punch the exact center of the broken bolt and drill and easy out the rement out.

BC

Get notified of new replies

To Broke off a bolt on intake

Quick Reply: Broke off a bolt on intake