C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 01:04 PM
Dave-A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '14
Default Strange overheating problem

On a rather hot day in Florida I ended up with a strange overheating problem.

While I was in stop and go traffic I ended up with a check gauge message and notice the water temp was reading full scale. Temp did go down after I started moving again but kept overheating and got the message reduce engine power. I did not seem to be leaking any coolant.

After it fully cooled down a few days later I ended up adding almost three gallons of Dexcool! i expected to find a leak of some sort, but it seems to be holding coolant fine and cooling system seems to normal, but I have not been in the stop and go traffic and heat I experienced that day.

Not sure what I should be looking at! Fans?
Old 07-26-2015, 04:33 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave-A
On a rather hot day in Florida I ended up with a strange overheating problem.

While I was in stop and go traffic I ended up with a check gauge message and notice the water temp was reading full scale. Temp did go down after I started moving again but kept overheating and got the message reduce engine power. I did not seem to be leaking any coolant.

After it fully cooled down a few days later I ended up adding almost three gallons of Dexcool! i expected to find a leak of some sort, but it seems to be holding coolant fine and cooling system seems to normal, but I have not been in the stop and go traffic and heat I experienced that day.

Not sure what I should be looking at! Fans?
You can check to see if the high temp fan goes on by having someone turn on the air conditioning while you are looking at the fans.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:42 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Your engine is either USING/INJESTING (head gasket issue) or the engine puked out its coolant somewhere/

Refill it and keep an eye on the reservoir tank level. Make sure that you burp all the air out of the block!

If you have been using it with that low of a coolant level,, I would be looking at the coolant level quite often!!! If it starts dropping, post back here and let us know what you see.

Its a wonder you don't have warped heads.

Bill
Old 07-26-2015, 04:46 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Fans don't leak coolant.

You don't lose 3 gallons of coolant without a leak unless the aliens took it. I wonder if your coolant tank pressure cap let it go.

Get a pressure tester and see if you can find it. It may be a crack that does not open up until it is hot.

Mr. Sam
Old 07-26-2015, 05:29 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Fans don't leak coolant.

You don't lose 3 gallons of coolant without a leak unless the aliens took it. I wonder if your coolant tank pressure cap let it go.

Get a pressure tester and see if you can find it. It may be a crack that does not open up until it is hot.

Mr. Sam

ALSO,,, If the engine got that HOT,, CHANGE the thermostat!!!!!!

BC
Old 07-26-2015, 06:32 PM
3sACROWD
Melting Slicks

Received 447 Likes on 329 Posts

With your engine getting that hot, you might also want to change your oil. At a minimum check it. Hopefully it doesn't look like chocolate milk and you find where your coolant went.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Dave-A
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '14

Coolant level is holding steady. Not sure how to burp the air out of the block, but it has now been through several hot/cold cycles.

Never have had any cooling issues with this car so this came totally out of left field. Coolant has never been low.

Oil looks fine, but it is about due for a oil change. Thermostat is a easy replace, but I will need to pull water pump to replace A/C compressor which is not working and I will probably wait till then to replace both the thermostat and the water pump.

My "theory" is that it overheated in stop n go traffic (perhaps fans not running when they should) and it puked the coolant pass the cap.

I do have a pressure tester, but I have seen more damaged done by pressurizing operating systems than problems found this way. It is not leaking now, but I would not be surprised that if I pumped the system up it will leak then!
Old 07-27-2015, 06:21 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Just pressurize it to the design, not over.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:05 PM
Dave-A
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '14

I think I found the problem. It has been fine for several days now, but on the way home today I could smell hot coolant. Popped the hood and saw a drip from the between the bottom hoses attached to the surge tank. Wiggled the hoses a little and the drip got worse. Looks like a cracked surge tank to me.

Ordered a new surge tank and new cap. Apparently GM has replaced the 15psi cap with an 18 psi cap. Anyone familiar with why this change?
Old 07-29-2015, 08:25 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Designed change to give the engine a few more deg boil over protection.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:45 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Glad you found your vanishing coolant problem...fairly simple fix Thank you for posting your findings....

Get notified of new replies

To Strange overheating problem

Quick Reply: Strange overheating problem