C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange No Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 10:47 PM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Strange No Start Issue

Since the first day ive had my vette back in Feb of 2013 ive had an intermittent no start when i would turn the key to start and all the guages would work but the starter wouldnt engage. Well recently its been getting worse and worse until it was to the point it would take hours to get the car to finally start.. I recently had to replace the lock cylinder because a tumbler broke inside of it which caused me to have to buy a new ignition switch as well so i figured that wouldve probably fixed my problem, but it did not... Since then ive went ahead and replaced the starter as well as the theft deterrent relay. The car still will not crank.. Every now and then after several tries it will start. Ive taken a test light to the tdr relay and tested the wires that come from the vats system and i get no response from the ignition.. I am completely stumped at this so all help is appreciated greatly.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:28 PM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Have you pulled codes to see if there are any clues there????
Yes sir, no codes that i beleive correlate to the problem. Ill post them tomorrow anyway!
Old 12-21-2015, 09:22 AM
rrwirsi
Melting Slicks

Received 1,216 Likes on 776 Posts

[QUOTE=VengeanceVette;1591155787]Since the first day ive had my vette back in Feb of 2013 ive had an intermittent no start when i would turn the key to start and all the gauges would work but the starter wouldn't engage.

I had the same problem about a month ago but happen only once, so far. The CF suggestions included cleaning the Key and trying the spare key. I did both and have not experience the no start again.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:44 AM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

[QUOTE=rrwirsi;1591157298]
Originally Posted by VengeanceVette
Since the first day ive had my vette back in Feb of 2013 ive had an intermittent no start when i would turn the key to start and all the gauges would work but the starter wouldn't engage.

I had the same problem about a month ago but happen only once, so far. The CF suggestions included cleaning the Key and trying the spare key. I did both and have not experience the no start again.
Yeah I have 2 new keys that worked prior to this.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:50 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

There are TWO parts to the IGNITION SWITCH. The KEY CYLINDER portion which includes the KEY RESISTOR SENSOR/READER & the actual SWITCH PROTION

Did you just replace the key cylinder part OR did you also replace the switch portion also???

You need to do some DC VOLTAGE testing. You need to use this schematic:

The TDR has two sides. The 12VDC High Current side and the 12VDC Low Current (relay control side).

Don't know if you have an auto or MN6 but when you do all the action necessary to crank the engine, the TDR RELAY should energize and put 12VDC 60 Amps on the PURPLE WIRE that goes to the starter solenoid.

If the relay doesn't energize, SOMETHING in the chain of switches and fuses is NOT allowing power to the coil side of the relay OR the BCM isn't happy and allowing the GROUND SIDE of the coil to go to BCM Ground through the YELLOW /BLACK stripe wire.

Here is an ignition switch post for you to examine:

- C5 ignition Switch repair - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html

BC

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 12-21-2015 at 10:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
VengeanceVette (12-21-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 11:27 AM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
There are TWO parts to the IGNITION SWITCH. The KEY CYLINDER portion which includes the KEY RESISTOR SENSOR/READER & the actual SWITCH PROTION

Did you just replace the key cylinder part OR did you also replace the switch portion also???

You need to do some DC VOLTAGE testing. You need to use this schematic:

The TDR has two sides. The 12VDC High Current side and the 12VDC Low Current (relay control side).

Don't know if you have an auto or MN6 but when you do all the action necessary to crank the engine, the TDR RELAY should energize and put 12VDC 60 Amps on the PURPLE WIRE that goes to the starter solenoid.

If the relay doesn't energize, SOMETHING in the chain of switches and fuses is NOT allowing power to the coil side of the relay OR the BCM isn't happy and allowing the GROUND SIDE of the coil to go to BCM Ground through the YELLOW /BLACK stripe wire.

Here is an ignition switch post for you to examine:

- C5 ignition Switch repair - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html

BC
Bill,
I replaced the lock cylinder and the ignition switch as well. all new parts. I will take your advise on cleaning the female pig tail harness to the ignition switch and hopefully that is my problem. Its evident its somewhere between the ignition switch and the bcm, just gotta track it down I suppose.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:48 PM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by VengeanceVette
Bill,
I replaced the lock cylinder and the ignition switch as well. all new parts. I will take your advise on cleaning the female pig tail harness to the ignition switch and hopefully that is my problem. Its evident its somewhere between the ignition switch and the bcm, just gotta track it down I suppose.
That's not evident at all. Sounds more like a bad starter to me. What happens when you turn the key? Do you hear a click.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:24 AM
tblu92
Le Mans Master

Received 281 Likes on 258 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

You didn't say the year of your car----But early C5's have a common "column lock" issue
It was so bad that even today on early C5's because it is was a safety issue they are still fixing them under warranty----What year is your car ?
Old 12-22-2015, 09:49 AM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by BigGun
That's not evident at all. Sounds more like a bad starter to me. What happens when you turn the key? Do you hear a click.
I've already replaced the starter. Stated that in the post.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:50 AM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by tblu92
You didn't say the year of your car----But early C5's have a common "column lock" issue
It was so bad that even today on early C5's because it is was a safety issue they are still fixing them under warranty----What year is your car ?
Car is an 04 so I believe the recall has already been done.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:15 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

A CL issue should have no effect on whether the car starts or not.

BTW, There were no effective recalls to fix CL issues unless they went into the column to make a modification. 8VETTE7 above is the expert on CL issues. The LMC5 would be the best CL fix issue and we can discuss that later.

Do you have a manual or automatic? Makes a difference for this and CL. For CL if you have an automatic then CL is not an issue from 01-04. GM did not have to have put it in.

Did you replace the electrical switch behind the key cylinder?

Knowing an answer to those two questions can help us figure this out.

Mr. Sam
Old 12-22-2015, 12:10 PM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by dadaroo
A CL issue should have no effect on whether the car starts or not.

BTW, There were no effective recalls to fix CL issues unless they went into the column to make a modification. 8VETTE7 above is the expert on CL issues. The LMC5 would be the best CL fix issue and we can discuss that later.

Do you have a manual or automatic? Makes a difference for this and CL. For CL if you have an automatic then CL is not an issue from 01-04. GM did not have to have put it in.

Did you replace the electrical switch behind the key cylinder?

Knowing an answer to those two questions can help us figure this out.

Mr. Sam
As stated in my post I replaced the Key cylinder, Ignition switch, TDR, & the starter. the car is an 04 Auto.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:13 PM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
In posts 1 and 7 the OP states that he replaced BOTH the key cylinder and the ignition switch so that question is answered.

That the column lock cannot effect whether the car will start or not. If the car is a manual trans and has had the recall service then the car COULD stall when you attempt to drive the car if the column lock system is failing. (2mph fuel shutoff enabled)

If the car is an automatic then as Sam stated you are very unlikely to have a column lock issue. Not impossible but very unlikely. If the car is a manual you might want to investigate the LMC5. Google Compliance Parts and read about the product. Highly recommended for all model year manual trans C5's and also for 97 - 2000 automatics which are affected by column lock/

OP, have you investigated the Clutch Pedal Start switch if your car is a manual or the Park Neutral Position switch if the car is an automatic??

Intermittant failure of either will result in a no crank condition. See the diagram that Bill provided in post #6 above.
Thank you sir will look into the neutral safety switch today, I believe I may have found the problem from looking at Bills post. I believe the female plug to the ignition switch may have carbon build up from thousands of crank cycles over the years.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:30 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Excellent, I think we are down to an issue with the connector you reference or the neutral safety switch. Could always be an interconnecting wiring/connector issue but less likely. Diagnostics can tell.

I have worked on a couple of identical issues where the neutral safety switch was the issue. One such issue was resolved by cleaning the connections which had fluid and grime all in it.

I can provide info on that when I am at home.

Mr. Sam
Old 12-23-2015, 01:28 AM
BigGun
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 62 Posts

I saw where you replaced the starter. Starters/solenoid can be bad out of the box or fail shortly after install. Do you hear anything when you turn the key?

If you jump the TDR (12 volts to purple wire) it will bypass the neutral safety switch and the car should crank if the starter is good. Good way to check the switch and starter. Be careful, the car can start in gear using this method.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:20 AM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

I saw where you replaced the starter. Starters/solenoid can be bad out of the box or fail shortly after install. Do you hear anything when you turn the key?

If you jump the TDR (12 volts to purple wire) it will bypass the neutral safety switch and the car should crank if the starter is good. Good way to check the switch and starter. Be careful, the car can start in gear using this method.
I grab the tdr when i turn the key and it doesnt even click, so i know its not getting power although sometimes randomly it will get power out of no where.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:22 AM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by dadaroo
Excellent, I think we are down to an issue with the connector you reference or the neutral safety switch. Could always be an interconnecting wiring/connector issue but less likely. Diagnostics can tell.

I have worked on a couple of identical issues where the neutral safety switch was the issue. One such issue was resolved by cleaning the connections which had fluid and grime all in it.

I can provide info on that when I am at home.

Mr. Sam

I have a tech 2 and mdi, but im not sure on how to use it to figure out what could be wrong in my case. I was hoping maybe you could chime in on this?

Get notified of new replies

To Strange No Start Issue

Old 12-23-2015, 06:05 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Sure, first look at Bills Post 6, first picture. Sounds like the Neutral Safety switch, TDR relay, or the BCM is the issue. Swapping out the relay is easy to do. I think the safety switch is the most likely candidate.

If you need any DIY info on the safety switch let me know.

I would have to do some research to see how to test the BCM activation for the TDR with the Tech 2.

Mr. Sam
Old 12-23-2015, 10:24 AM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

I hope you find it soon, and it is just the switch. I had the same issue as you, but it was my starter. I know you changed it, but if all else fails, check your wiring on the starter again.

Probably not your battery, since gauges work, but just to cover all, make sure it is fully charged and good connections. May have weakened with cold and lack of use.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:18 PM
VengeanceVette
Instructor

Problem fixed! First i would like to thank everyone who chimed in, and second the problem ended up being loose contacts on the harness that goes to the resistor. I performed a drag test and it had hardly any drag, so i pulled it apart and bent the connection tabs up and cleaned all contacts with R22. Haven't had a problem since!

Quick Reply: Strange No Start Issue