C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 EBCM Conversion to 01-04 EBCM -- Success!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 02:04 PM
Remow2112
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 1998

Any reason this this would not work on a late model 98? I have the front mount EBCM setiup?

Thanks,
Dan...
Old 09-04-2016, 02:53 PM
Caddy2006
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
I wonder how hard it would be to get someone like www.eficonnection.com to make the wiring harness adapters so no cutting or splicing of the factory harness was necessary?
I guess it would depend on the availability of both the male and female early C5 ABS connectors at the EBCM. A person might be able to make their own with the connector from a non-working EBCM.

Originally Posted by Remow2112
Any reason this this would not work on a late model 98? I have the front mount EBCM setiup?

Thanks,
Dan...
It should work the same as for my 99. I would verify the 98 wiring is not different prior to cutting wires.
Old 09-04-2016, 03:13 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by timgman
I'm the happy owner of a functional 98 (non AH) with a "properly functioning" ebcm.
The though of not having a fix is daunting if it does go, I'm kinda screwed. having the AH sensors "faked" could be an option? I have a fairly decent knowledge of serial communications and I'm a system administrator so perhaps we could just figure out what feedback the ebcm wants?

Thanks for investing the time into this man!
HMMMMMM,,,,,, AH has several INPUTS. Individual wheel speeds from each wheel from the WSS, YAW input from an accelerometer, forward acceleration from and accelerometer, Steering wheel position from the SWPS, and brake pressure from the PBS.

I seriously doubt that you can cobble anything together to FAKE all that data from the system..

BC
Old 09-05-2016, 09:48 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Congrats to you, Caddy, this is a great accomplishment! I forget to check this part of the forum too often and I see it's a big mistake. Since I have an '02, I fortunately don't have to deal with this. In my search for my second C5, I passed up many nice cars because of this problem. There are so many interesting parts of your article and the thread responses. To be brief, since I do most of my own work, and this is my second c5, many of the mods I made to the first one take less than half the time. I'm sure a very significant amount of Caddy's time was spent on research, check/recheck multiple times, cut/bend/fit till it's right, and the exhaustive process of figuring/testing out the wiring. Caddy has given anyone willing to take on the job a terrific framework to go by. Those who mentioned experience with tube bending and electronics have another step up.
Having done the EBCM "resolder" on my first one, and talking a good friend thru the job on his, I'm not afraid to do it again. That is worth something.
Gotta love this forum. Great job everyone!
The following users liked this post:
esandgc (11-26-2020)
Old 09-06-2016, 12:38 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by timgman
I'm the happy owner of a functional 98 (non AH) with a "properly functioning" ebcm.
The though of not having a fix is daunting if it does go, I'm kinda screwed. having the AH sensors "faked" could be an option? I have a fairly decent knowledge of serial communications and I'm a system administrator so perhaps we could just figure out what feedback the ebcm wants?

Thanks for investing the time into this man!
Put a serial port onto the data bus and start logging the data and figuring out what it is then. The cluster must expect some type of communication with the EBCM or else it displays the service messages and/or the light.

I wonder how hard it would be to get someone like www.eficonnection.com to make the wiring harness adapters so no cutting or splicing of the factory harness was necessary?
Even if they found the female connector they'd likely have to make some sort of box for it to mount on so they could attach the wires and seal it. I doubt it'd be very practical, and likely VERY expensive.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:11 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

if you take the time to remove the pins from the newer design and soldered them to the wires, you wouldn't need to splice and have butt connectors everywhere. it's just more time.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:38 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

You'd have to get new pins to do that. You can most likely find suppliers selling them if you really wanted to do that.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:01 PM
mattastick
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Does this use the older manual prop valve for brake proportioning, or the later electronic control? I'm new to Corvettes, but it looks like it would use the electronic proportioning.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:18 AM
TDTeel1989
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caddy 2006 ive read this thread and copied your re pin schematic I'm going to attempt this myself I was curious as to what you did with the proportioning valve under the master cylinder ive included a picture for
easy referance
Old 11-22-2017, 09:24 AM
Caddy2006
Advanced

Originally Posted by TDTeel1989
Caddy 2006 ive read this thread and copied your re pin schematic I'm going to attempt this myself I was curious as to what you did with the proportioning valve under the master cylinder ive included a picture for
easy referance
That proportioning valve is no longer needed with the later model unit. The later model hard brake lines go directly from the master cylinder into the BPMV. The BPMV/EBCM handles all the proportioning duties.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:41 AM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by TDTeel1989
easy referance
Picture thief. Glad it's getting some more use than what I am doing with it
Old 11-22-2017, 03:00 PM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

@TDTeel1989

Can't wait to hear if you are successful!

PLEASE keep us updated!
Old 11-22-2017, 07:42 PM
Standi
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No proportioning valve. Just this brass elbow essentially and doesn't have any wires on it.
Looks like I'm gonna be like @tdteel1999 and try this too. Think it'll work on a 2000?

A couple pled of questions, my 2000 frc with active handling doesn't have a porportioning valve. The brake lines from the master run straight into the BPMV. So maybe I can just clean all that out like the 99 and move on?

For the EBCM connector, did you only splice into the 6 wires as shown in the original pic? Looks like it, but wanted to verify. I know the plugs are different so wondered how you did that.

Last edited by Standi; 11-22-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:11 PM
Caddy2006
Advanced

Originally Posted by Standi
No proportioning valve. Just this brass elbow essentially and doesn't have any wires on it.
Looks like I'm gonna be like @tdteel1999 and try this too. Think it'll work on a 2000?

A couple pled of questions, my 2000 frc with active handling doesn't have a porportioning valve. The brake lines from the master run straight into the BPMV. So maybe I can just clean all that out like the 99 and move on?

For the EBCM connector, did you only splice into the 6 wires as shown in the original pic? Looks like it, but wanted to verify. I know the plugs are different so wondered how you did that.
If the proportioning valve isn't on yours - I would just swap out the hard brake lines from a late model C5 (so they will line up with the fittings on the late model BPMV).

ALL connections on the late model EBCM connector have to be spliced into the wiring on the car. I just showed an in-process picture to illustrate the process.

Good luck!
Old 12-05-2017, 05:51 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

Did all cars after 01 have active handling?

Does this mean for a 99 owner like myself who does not have or want AH, that this won’t work?
Old 12-05-2017, 08:15 PM
Caddy2006
Advanced

Did all cars after 01 have active handling?

Does this mean for a 99 owner like myself who does not have or want AH, that this won’t work?
That's correct - all C5s from 2001-2004 had active handling as standard.

A conversion might still be feasible - but more wiring would have to be done to include all the accelerometers used by active handling (that weren't installed/wired on the early cars without active handling).
Old 02-12-2018, 08:47 PM
grasshopper645
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

Has anyone else completed this tutorial? I'm trying to decide weather to stock pile a used ebcm, swps and modulator valve (which will cost me a **** load) or just buy the parts for conversion should the time come when one of these critical components fails.

It looks like the ebcm on the early model c6's is now discontinued also, so I guess we will see a thread pop up over on the c6 forums within due course. Really struggling to recommend GM with there complete disregard for their older customers.
The following users liked this post:
Tomm1011 (06-07-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To 99 EBCM Conversion to 01-04 EBCM -- Success!

Old 10-28-2018, 12:52 PM
leadbelly666
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an early '98, EBCM in rear, with AH and 1255 code. This solution is an attractive option, but I am wondering if doable. The most obvious issue I see is that the rear brake proportioning valve on my car has no sensor and no wires, so nothing there to wire to the EBCM. I'm not even sure it's a proportioning valve, it's so small it looks more like a splitter. Does that kill the swap right there?

Also, there is not a lot of detail on the EBCM connector rewiring. The other thread referenced by the OP regarding pinout mentioned a few connections that simply didn't line up. Were these just left unconnected?
Old 10-28-2018, 03:36 PM
GCG
Melting Slicks

Received 725 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by leadbelly666
I have an early '98, EBCM in rear, with AH and 1255 code. This solution is an attractive option, but I am wondering if doable. The most obvious issue I see is that the rear brake proportioning valve on my car has no sensor and no wires, so nothing there to wire to the EBCM. I'm not even sure it's a proportioning valve, it's so small it looks more like a splitter. Does that kill the swap right there?

Also, there is not a lot of detail on the EBCM connector rewiring. The other thread referenced by the OP regarding pinout mentioned a few connections that simply didn't line up. Were these just left unconnected?
I don't know if you already read this other thread (it has a lot of very organized info). There's also this other one about a current project. Perhaps you guys could exchange info and benefit others at the same time.

Last edited by GCG; 10-28-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:14 PM
raorlan5850
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did this conversion over the last few days. Got everything in the car but still have a few codes. need to go over the wiring to make sure I didn’t miss anything. Great write up man helped allot. Hope to have the bugs worked out this weekend/next week
The following 2 users liked this post by raorlan5850:
JimHarris4 (11-25-2020), Torch Red Fire 21 (03-01-2024)

Quick Reply: 99 EBCM Conversion to 01-04 EBCM -- Success!