C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do I Disconnect The Master Clutch Cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 03:18 PM
brazilianvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Do I Disconnect The Master Clutch Cylinder?

Hello,

I have been searching the forums but have not found anything that answers my question.

I am trying to replace the master cylinder on my 2002 C-5.
I have disconnected the pushrod.

I noticed a cotter pin in the line that connects to the master cylinder. I removed it but I am unable to disconnect the line. I am sure I am missing a step.

Do I need a special tool to separate the line? Is there another pin holding it in place?

Thank you.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:41 PM
493lszosix
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Sounds like you are trying to replace the clutch master cylinder if so it doesn't bolt in you just turn it, don't remember off hand but if looking at it from engine bay I think it turns clockwise to release but could be wrong but it either turns one way or the other and it may help to use some channel locks on it, hope this helps some
Old 07-25-2016, 11:31 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You twist the unit by accessing it from the fender well access and it releases from the fire wall.

The hydraulic line and the MC are one piece. There is a QUICK DISCONNET fitting that connects the slave line to the MC line. No need to mess with that roll pin as it never needs to be removed.

Bill
Old 07-25-2016, 01:53 PM
brazilianvette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
You twist the unit by accessing it from the fender well access and it releases from the fire wall.

The hydraulic line and the MC are one piece. There is a QUICK DISCONNET fitting that connects the slave line to the MC line. No need to mess with that roll pin as it never needs to be removed.

Bill

So, do I just disconnect (any tool needed?) at position #2 instead of #1 (photo)?

The new MC doesn't come with that line so I am assuming I have to somehow disconnect at position #1 in order to use the existing line.

OR, buy a more expensive MC that comes with that line already attached. It would save me $100 if I can use the existing line.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:54 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Most disconnect at position 2. Sounds like you don't have that section of line. Pull the master from the firewall and then work with it as it appears in the photo that there is a screw in fitting. Don't get any fluid in the paint, or the paint will be gone!!!!
Old 07-27-2016, 02:14 PM
001pewter
Race Director

Received 129 Likes on 99 Posts
St.. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by brazilianvette

So, do I just disconnect (any tool needed?) at position #2 instead of #1 (photo)?

The new MC doesn't come with that line so I am assuming I have to somehow disconnect at position #1 in order to use the existing line.

OR, buy a more expensive MC that comes with that line already attached. It would save me $100 if I can use the existing line.
When I changed mine out I used a piece of a old bicycle forks to get the #2 in the pic. I had the flat piece where the front wheel bolts to the forks, cut it off the forks, it slide right in between the fitting on the clutch line and came right apart. I battled with it for awhile before trying that.

Last edited by 001pewter; 07-27-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:42 AM
radar502
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 224 Posts

Get the GM one more money but well worth it comes with everything you need and they have been improved over the org. ones ,these are not easy to replace have to be careful with the install .Just pay attrition how it comes out and make sure you put it back the same .. Wile your under there take the clutch spring out you'll be happy with the peddle feel..

Get notified of new replies

To How Do I Disconnect The Master Clutch Cylinder?

Quick Reply: How Do I Disconnect The Master Clutch Cylinder?