C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate control non responsive on our 99

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 02:04 AM
Jayman
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Climate control non responsive on our 99

Hello
I've been doing a lot of reading and haven't found anything specific to my condition with the climate control. I've disconnected the battery, removed fuse 27, and can hear the actuators resetting.
The problem I'm having is the controls don't respond. The driver **** does nothing, as well as the power button, defrost, auto buttons. The display is bright and the system is set on 23C by default I guess. Provides adequate heat and cooling.
I feel there must be a way to reset this somehow but as I said I haven't been able to find anything about this particular condition.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all,
Jay

Last edited by Jayman; 11-15-2016 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-15-2016, 05:53 AM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

I probably can't help much with this problem, but you should pull the codes and list them.

Description of codes:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...odes-dtcs.html

Last edited by Greg_E; 11-15-2016 at 06:04 AM.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:34 AM
Jayman
Racer

Forgot to mention that there are no codes present.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:09 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Sounds like you have dual climate control. How are you reading the DTCs????? Are you using the DIC?

If the module isn't responding there should be DTCs.

You state that it "Provides adequate heat and cooling."

If the controls don't respond, how can that be? Can you blast COLD and then BLAST HEAT if you turn the ***** to each extreme.

If the controls work and you can change the temps and the display doesn't change, you have a Control Module issue.

Open the control module and make sure that all the inner circuit board connectors are properly connected and there is no obvious circuit board damage.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:57 AM
Jayman
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Sounds like you have dual climate control. How are you reading the DTCs????? Are you using the DIC?
​​Yes dual climate control. Checked using DIC.

If the module isn't responding there should be DTCs.
Unfortunately there are none

You state that it "Provides adequate heat and cooling."

If the controls don't respond, how can that be? Can you blast COLD and then BLAST HEAT if you turn the ***** to each extreme.
It's colder here now. When outside it blows heat. If I run it in heated garage it blows cold. The passenger side does respond to the **** being turned.

If the controls work and you can change the temps and the display doesn't change, you have a Control Module issue.

Open the control module and make sure that all the inner circuit board connectors are properly connected and there is no obvious circuit board damage.
Open the control module? This part may be out of my scope of expertise unless there's something specific.
Have you seen this situation before Bill? My display is bright. The last time battery was disconnectEd was similar but I could move the temp with control **** up one degree, then when display returned to showcase outside temp I could adjust another degree up or down. Now it's worse of course...
Old 11-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Jayman
Have you seen this situation before Bill? My display is bright. The last time battery was disconnectEd was similar but I could move the temp with control **** up one degree, then when display returned to showcase outside temp I could adjust another degree up or down. Now it's worse of course...
Take the control panel out of AUTO and see if the symptoms change. If you have NOT changed the MEMORY settings (Mem1, Mem 2 since you had the battery disconnected, all that resets to the FACTORY DEFAULTS. Auto/ defrost / AC on is the default setting. I hate auto setting.

Set all your memory functions to something that you desire them to be. See if that fixes your issue.

BC
Old 11-15-2016, 12:01 PM
Jayman
Racer

I'll certainly give it a shot when I'm back home. On my car the seat settings were always retained though. So when the driver door is closed and I insert the key, the seat slides forward to my desired setting from the exit position.
it can't hurt to try it again, although I'm not sure why we have more buttons that are unresponsive including the power button.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:58 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

If you don't have control of the POWER button on the control head,,, you have an internal control head issue. Stand by to replace it. Its microcontroller programmed inside.

If it were me, I would remove the head, pop the plastic case open and have a look inside. Its NOT all that tough and easily reassembled. There are several post on how the insides are layed out. I will see if I can fine them and post it:
Old 11-15-2016, 01:07 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Check that out!
Old 11-15-2016, 01:12 PM
Jayman
Racer

Will do. Thanks Bill!
Old 11-15-2016, 01:16 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

In this article are some close up pictures of the insides of the module..

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...pair/#photo-21

Get notified of new replies

To Climate control non responsive on our 99

Quick Reply: Climate control non responsive on our 99