C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unusual RDCM/power window issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 07:56 PM
foamypirate
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Unusual RDCM/power window issue

Looking for a little input on this one. Did a bunch of searching and nothing quite matched what I have going on.

2002 A4 Coupe

Symptoms:
Driver's control won't roll passenger window up or down, and won't control the power mirror on the passenger side. DIC shows RDCM as No Comm. Not so unusual...except the passenger side switch rolls it up and down fine, and both driver and passenger switches will control the locks (auto lock/unlock also works fine). Looking at the diagrams, that didn't make sense to me, since it appears that the RDCM controls these... if it's Non-Comm, how does it know to lock/unlock the door when requested from the driver side?

I played with the wiring harness in both door accordions hoping for an "easy" fix, but no luck. Does this just sound like a partially faulty RDCM? I initially thought it was just the driver switch panel, until I saw the RDCM No Comm in the DIC. Not really sure what to look at next. Electric isn't my strong suit, but I'd definitely prefer not to shotgun it with parts, just need a hand with next steps for troubleshooting.

Last edited by foamypirate; 01-12-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:43 PM
foamypirate
Heel & Toe

Awesome info, thank you!

Checked the battery, and it was a bit low (12.06 volts). Put in a new one, and I'm reading at 12.59 volts now, so that's good. No change in behavior, unfortunately. Confirmed that the key fob and drivers control operate both door locks. If I get time this weekend, I'll tear into the doors and try swapping the modules and see what happens.

Thanks again for the assistance!

Last edited by foamypirate; 01-13-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:43 PM
foamypirate
Heel & Toe

So, I'm finally getting around to troubleshooting this (was just living with it in the meantime. I've got long arms, so I just reach over to the passenger side. Any how, car is currently down for a steering rack replacement and I needed something to do).

I pulled the passenger side door panel off, and I found a DRIVER door module in it, 10342159. Does this possibly explain my issue? Or did GM use the DCMs interchangeably? Everything I see indicates it should have a 10342160 in it. I'm reasonably sure that would be the issue.

Last edited by foamypirate; 07-25-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:35 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 410 Likes on 333 Posts

You should have a passenger module on the passenger door. Check your drivers door to see if a passenger or driver module is installed there.

I should have a passenger module in storage. I will let you know over the weekend if I have one.

Gary
Old 07-25-2017, 10:28 PM
foamypirate
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
You should have a passenger module on the passenger door. Check your drivers door to see if a passenger or driver module is installed there.

I should have a passenger module in storage. I will let you know over the weekend if I have one.

Gary
Thanks, I appreciate the offer! I actually ordered one from VetteNuts right before I saw your post, unfortunately.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:48 PM
foamypirate
Heel & Toe

Got my new used passenger module from Vette Nuts. Swapped the "new" drivers module from the passenger side over to my drivers side (newer part number that works with the module from Vette Nuts, versus my original drivers module), and installed the module from Vette Nuts on the passenger. Everything works great now!
Old 08-02-2017, 02:03 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Don't throw that module away. They are REPAIRABLE.

There are a number of parts on there that you can easily replace.

Glad it was that simple for you. Now DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT! :-)

Bill

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 08-02-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Unusual RDCM/power window issue

Quick Reply: Unusual RDCM/power window issue