C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-20-2015, 06:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Radiator Support Skid Plate Broken Again!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 03:22 PM
dr.stephan
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Radiator Support Skid Plate Broken Again!

I just want to vent on what frail piece of junk this thing is and what a HORRIBLE design GM did with this car. They know these cars are prone to bottoming out, so why put such frail pieces of junk to support the radiator that are so low?

I paid $1200 for the job at the stealership the 1st time. Learned my lesson and just ordered a new one for $330 with shipping. Anyone know if the front bumper has to come off to have it installed? Also, anyone know how much labor it takes to install it? Im going to an outside mechanic here in houston. Thanks
Old 09-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Old 09-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Omega Man
Race Director

Location: I speak the truth. Harsh but accurate. The Woodlands Texas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I would probably stop running over stuff and hitting the curb. There is no way your "Bottoming out" on the road. Your either hitting driveways too fast or at the wrong angle or your running it over parking curbs / stops.

Remember, driving like a crack head cost money.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Omega Man
Remember, driving like a crack head cost money.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:45 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dr.stephan
I just want to vent on what frail piece of junk this thing is and what a HORRIBLE design GM did with this car. They know these cars are prone to bottoming out, so why put such frail pieces of junk to support the radiator that are so low?

I paid $1200 for the job at the stealership the 1st time. Learned my lesson and just ordered a new one for $330 with shipping. Anyone know if the front bumper has to come off to have it installed? Also, anyone know how much labor it takes to install it? Im going to an outside mechanic here in houston. Thanks
Radiator Support Skid Plate Broken Again!

It's not a skid plate so maybe if you remember that you will not have this happen again. I don't know if the bumper has to come off but what ever it takes I would do it myself. It can't be too difficult.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:55 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 152 Likes on 72 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The lower radiator support in it's current form has been in use on the Corvette since the introduction of the 1997 model year car. You are now the third person that I know of that has broken one. I'm guessing that if it were a "frail piece of junk" that we would have heard a little more about it with over 425,000 cars produced with that same part in those model years. Probably worth noting that it is not a skid plate and not intended to be impacted from the bottom. It is a support and intended to have a compressive load on it from the top (ie, the radiator) not necessarily the weight of the car pushing up on it from the bottom.

Curious, How is it breaking? That support is more than 12" off the ground and even at full suspension travel it would not impact the ground. I don't think that bottoming out is really the root cause here.
Old 09-08-2010, 04:48 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Welllllllllll, first it is not a skid plate, as said above. Second, it is very important since it's connected to the radiator.

And third, it IS possible to hit the darned thing on the road when the signs say one thing, and the road is another, or in another condition. Such as, "rough road" in my area normally means, the road surface has been scraped up and it is literally "rough." But not to the professionals (loosely used, and in this case not dissimilar from those other "pros" who walk streets) in this state.

If they don't have a sign made up for what the road condition REALLY is, they'll just use anything in the truck. Like "rough road" to describe a washout that has gravel the color of the normal road surface, and a drop-off of about 12".

Oh, they could have found, "hole", "bump", "washout", etc. but that might have meant a trip back to the shop.

So, when one slows from 45-50 to 30-35, and suddenly this eight foot long hole becomes rough, it can claim a scrape to the radiator support, also "misnomer-ed" a skid plate.

Without major braking, it could also claim the entire support(s) itself, as in broken beyond repair. That would be unfortunate, but it is a fact some of us have to live with. This time, I escaped, but just barely.
The following users liked this post:
NYC6 (02-23-2021)
Old 09-08-2010, 05:46 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Two observations-

First, the only time I ever kissed the C6 radiator support on pavement was angling out of a steep driveway, going a little faster than i should. I haven't measured the angles, but taking an incline from the side will reduce scraping on the center plastic air dam but might expose the radiator support a little more.

Also, the radiator support on the C5 was steel and could take a fair impact without breaking (guess how i know), but the C6 is aluminum and much more fragile (I haven't tested it yet).
Old 09-09-2010, 12:22 AM
dr.stephan
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Listen, I love my C6 Vert' very much. But lately, its been more of a love/hate relationship. There are parts that GM skimped out on on this car that blow my mind. Just like Gearhead Jim said, its made of aluminum. I mean common. And then, they go charge an arm and a leg for a piece of junk. The on ramps/off ramps here in Houston, Tx where I recently moved are NOT meant for a Vette. Sometimes I think theyre designed for the F150s and Rams that are everywhere....

Do a search, several people have broken it....even more than once

Last edited by dr.stephan; 09-09-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:36 AM
Hammerman
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Listen, I love my C6 Vert' very much. But lately, its been more of a love/hate relationship. There are parts that GM skimped out on on this car that blow my mind. Just like Gearhead Jim said, its made of aluminum. I mean common. And then, they go charge an arm and a leg for a piece of junk. The on ramps/off ramps here in Houston, Tx where I recently moved are NOT meant for a Vette. Sometimes I think theyre designed for the F150s and Rams that are everywhere....

I had the small wheels installed on mine to help roll over speed bumps and such. I still have to go slow so I don't break the support. My father in law has broke his twice. The wheels will be even lower than the support however.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

My previous '05 had a broken rad support, I changed it myself, you do not have to take the bumper cover off. One thing I did notice on mine, the wires for the fog light or side marker light (can't remember which) were put right through the webbing of the aluminum (for lack of a better word) and I couldn't pull it (the support frame)out as the wireing was holding it, I had to reach up and hack it off the the blade of a hack saw (just the blade) took forever and I was f*cking mad.
Disclaimer: The car was purchased with the damaged support, I have owned 8 or 9 C5's and 3 C6's and never broke one myself.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Whether or not driver error is a factor I don't know but damaging the radiator support is not a common occurrence. The fact its made of aluminum instead of steel does not mean its a piece of junk...there's a reason its made of aluminum. From reading your posts it seems you're unhappy with the C6. Perhaps the F150 would be better suited to your needs.

BTW my friend at Surplus Armor Technologies has been working on an after market solution for this problem. It's a prototype but I think it holds promise for protecting the C6 radiator mount.

Name:  rollerbumper_C6.jpg
Views: 3925
Size:  51.0 KB
The following users liked this post:
Dave Carney (10-13-2021)
Old 09-09-2010, 11:00 AM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 09-09-2010, 11:08 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Whether or not driver error is a factor I don't know but damaging the radiator support is not a common occurrence. The fact its made of aluminum instead of steel does not mean its a piece of junk...there's a reason its made of aluminum. From reading your posts it seems you're unhappy with the C6. Perhaps the F150 would be better suited to your needs.

BTW my friend at Surplus Armor Technologies has been working on an after market solution for this problem. It's a prototype but I think it holds promise for protecting the C6 radiator mount.

Perfect!
I understand the frustration but lets remember what we are driving here. It isn't a pickup and as such it requires a bit more care in driving. I have to baby my Vette up my driveway and around the streets near my house as there are a lot of fairly sharp angles and if I wasn't careful, I would likely break stuff too.

What really frosts my heiney is the very high speed bumps some malls put in. I totally avoid one mall with my Vette specifically because of them.

Last edited by vettedoogie; 09-09-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:16 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Just Another disadvantage of having a car low to the ground along with chips, hitting curbs and taking out front or side rocker panels / curb rash. This is why pony cars and muscle cars were made.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O

You got the right color..
Old 09-09-2010, 11:29 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Boomer111
You got the right color..
You need to also add a bug/rock deflector

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Support Skid Plate Broken Again!

Old 09-09-2010, 12:19 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Name:  rollerbumper_C6.jpg
Views: 4868
Size:  51.0 KB

What kind of car is that?...looks like a Celica imitation Corvette or something...
Old 09-09-2010, 12:35 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

For future reference, the support/skid plate is aluminum and can easily be repaired with a weld...no reason to replace it for three or four hundred dollars, it can be taken to a place that welds aluminum and fixed for around 25 dollars...depending on where you live....proably more in New York city and less in Kansas.

Last edited by cclive; 09-09-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:47 PM
See5see6
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 131 Posts

Our Corvettes are indeed low to the ground. My post office driveways are so poorly engineered that I can never use the Corvette. Only once and boy did that brace/support scrape! Even many "normal" cars (whatever those are) scrape. Anyway, I'm VERY careful and still have hit those supports pretty hard.

I think dr. Stephan has a point. A better designed brace should have been built.

Quick Reply: Radiator Support Skid Plate Broken Again!