C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a fair price for a painted top?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 06:16 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Default What is a fair price for a painted top?

I am having my recall performed at chevy this week for my painted top on my 06 coupe. They will be giving me a brand new roof and painting it. What is a fair price to sell it for considering I don't need it any more because I got the glass top today?
Old 09-08-2010, 10:40 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Painted tops are not available from GM as complete units. The only way they're available new is to have a dealer order all of the individual parts, paint the outside panel, then assemble everything. Several years ago one of the forum-supporting dealers advertised that they'd do all of this for around $1900. I think it's unlikely that you'll get that much for it but at least this gives you a point of reference.

FWIW, if I was in your shoes I'd keep the painted top. You never know when you might want to switch it out either just for looks or because the transparent one lets the interior get too warm during the summer months.
Old 09-08-2010, 10:53 PM
LMB-C6
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They show up in the FS section from time to time, maybe do a search and see what they were selling for, but I agree with mpuzach, I'd keep it for a while to make sure the other top works as you expect in all conditions.

The other thing to consider is that, unlike the transparent top, which would be the same for everyone, the painted top usually would only be sold to someone else that has the same color car - so the group of people interested in buying one would be smaller than if it was the transparent top.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Painted tops are not available from GM as complete units. The only way they're available new is to have a dealer order all of the individual parts, paint the outside panel, then assemble everything. Several years ago one of the forum-supporting dealers advertised that they'd do all of this for around $1900. I think it's unlikely that you'll get that much for it but at least this gives you a point of reference.

FWIW, if I was in your shoes I'd keep the painted top. You never know when you might want to switch it out either just for looks or because the transparent one lets the interior get too warm during the summer months.

I'd also add...keep the painted top for whenever you sell the car. A lot of prospective buyers (and Corvette owners) don't want a transparent top. IMO your car will be more 'saleable' having the painted top with the car...it's a stock component most buyers will want.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:30 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

You know what guys I think I'm gonna keep it. The more I think about it the more I want to have them both
Old 09-09-2010, 11:04 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by brooklync5
You know what guys I think I'm gonna keep it. The more I think about it the more I want to have them both
Good call.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:16 AM
raycer
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

That's what I would do
Old 09-10-2010, 03:39 AM
Readygo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the top you never know whats down the road
Old 09-10-2010, 08:48 AM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My decision as well now that I have my transparent top. It's like having two different Vettes (well almost).
Old 09-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 867 Likes on 397 Posts

I paid $500 for a perfect factory JSB top w/ hardware. I have a glass top and wanted the solid painted one (I actually like the painted top better on JSB). I think you should keep both.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:45 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Good call.
I agree, smart call, too.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:59 AM
Mardis Gras
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Keep it
Old 09-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Ken H.
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yet another vote for keeping it.

I've got both tops. When the weather is really hot, the painted top keeps the car noticably cooler.

From a looks perspective, I like the car better with the painted top. From a driving perspective, I like the car better with the clear top; it feels much more open.

Having both is having the best of both worlds.

Get notified of new replies

To What is a fair price for a painted top?

Quick Reply: What is a fair price for a painted top?