Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
PFYC

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
gixxerrob
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: Mansfield Texas
Default Transmission problems in a C6

So, I'm new here to this forum but not to forum's. I have mostly been on sport bike forums and mustang forums because I had a sport bike and i still own a mustang.

I purchased a 2008 Corvette in July which was one of those dream cars I have always wanted. Unfortunatly, my dream has turned into a nightmare.

Like I said, I bought my Corvette on July 3, 2010. I got a really good deal on it and bought it from a Chevrolet dealership. At the time of purchase, it wa and still is under base warranty however, I also purchased an extended warranty to 100K. Here is the nightmare part. It's been in the shop since August 7, 2010. I've owned the car 110 days and it's been in the shop for 75 days.

I put it into the shop because there was a slight 2nd gear grab on a speed shift from 1st to 2nd. When I went to go pick the car up after the dealer changed out 1st gear, 2nd gear and the synchronizer. The trans now pops out of 2nd gear when I let off the gas and bangs out of 2nd gear when I down shift.

I wanted to post this to those of you that have a C6. Do not put your car in the shop for transmission repair. Nobody has the tool to take the trans apart at least here in DFW area and GM has no transmissions in stock for replacement. I have been waiting for the last 20 days on a transmission that is coming out of Germany.

GM has really been no help either. I've been talking to Kevin from Customer assistance. He called me and left a message one time to follow up with me on my engine.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'm open to any and all. I would really like to get my car back.
gixxerrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #2
cthusker
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
cthusker's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: North Western Connecticut
Default

So GM doesn't have a single transmission in their entire USA system? Sounds a bit strange to me... Wonder what they are using for tranny's in Bowling Green? Isn't the 08 using the T6060 which is production now?

Last edited by cthusker; 10-20-2010 at 08:52 AM.
cthusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
AORoads
CF Senior Member
 
AORoads's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2005
Location: Northern, VA
Default

Let me understand something else: a GM Tremec 6060 man trans that you are waiting for parts from Germany? This is not the old ZF trans from C4s; why are you waiting for parts from Germany? With all due respect, you have your car at the wrong dealer service. It could be there are no dealers that can take the trans apart and put it back together, but you are not without other resources in your area.
AORoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #4
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Wayne O's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Tucson Arizona
Default

Sorry about all the aggravations...that blows. Initially, what did the dealership/GM say about the relationship, if any, between you speed-shifting and the transmission problem? In the future, if you require any repairs or replacements under the extended warranty, you might want to contact John Page at 21st Century Muscle Cars in Addison. I believe they're an authorized GM repair facility for extended warranty repairs (at least I know they used to be). John is good people to deal with...they're the one and only authorized Lingenfelter installer outside of LPE in Indiana...they do Callaway installs, etc. I had a great experience with 21st CMC! Good luck on your tranny.
__________________
2005 Corvette C6 Coupe
Magnetic Red Metallic II/Cashmere, MN6, 1SB, F55
Lingenfelter 403 Conversion, LG Pro Headers (coated), Corsa Sport Exhaust, Lingenfelter CAI, Accusump, LGM Coil-Over Suspension & Bump-Steer Kit, T1 Sway Bars, Pfadt Control Arm Bushing Kit, Elite Eng. Tunnel Plate & Oil Catch-Can, SKF Racing Hubs/Bearings, AP Racing Brakes, DRM Brake Ducts, Custom Roll Bar, Sparco Seats, Wide-Booty, CCW C10 Wheels,
Setup: LG Motorsports

Thanks to: 21st Century Muscle Cars
Wayne O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
DaveV
CF Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Default Why am i waiting

I had the same experiance with my differential, took it in they stripped it down waited for the parts to arrive, then waited and waited complained to the service mgr who promised to phone me with a report
that day he never did !! suprise, after pushing and prodding the service
adviser i finally got out of him they did,nt have the tools to torque the
differential they were trying to buy one on e/bay to save them money
because they had not replaced one before makes you wonder ???
car laid in service dept 3 weeks with windows open, all the dust and oily sh-- that floats around car handed to customer in that condition.
DaveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
cclive
CF Senior Member
 
cclive's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2008
Location: Southern Utah
Default

The trans is made in Mexico, seems like a strange thing to be coming from Germany.
cclive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:50 PM   #7
gixxerrob
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: Mansfield Texas
Default

You all are correct. The Transmission is made in Mexico. They (GM) not the dealer had my part confused with another part coming out of Germany. I can't tell you the nightmare I have had with GM customer service. The dealer is doing everything that GM will let them do.

Also, I asked why can't they just pull one off production. GM said and I qoute "Mr Austin, the 2008 Corvette's are no longer in production". That turned into a whole new bs session. I mean, they have called me twice and referenced a new engine instead of a transmission. They are just phone opperators looking at a computer screen looking for the next answer if you ask me. I'd like to rip his head threw the phone.

To answer the question about me speed shifting from 1st to 2nd. If they would have made a big deal about that I would have laughed in their face. I mean, its a Corvette. Why else do you buy a car that has 430 hp if your not going to drive the **** out of it.

Thanks for some of the suggestions and comments though. I'll keep this thread posted. I am supposed to get an update tomorrow from GM.
gixxerrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #8
DaveV
CF Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Default

tell them the vehicle is not off merchantable quality and back it what is the lemmon laws in Texas.
DaveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
VET4LES
CF Senior Member
 
VET4LES's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: San Clemente CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerrob View Post
You all are correct. The Transmission is made in Mexico. They (GM) not the dealer had my part confused with another part coming out of Germany. I can't tell you the nightmare I have had with GM customer service. The dealer is doing everything that GM will let them do.

Also, I asked why can't they just pull one off production. GM said and I qoute "Mr Austin, the 2008 Corvette's are no longer in production". That turned into a whole new bs session. I mean, they have called me twice and referenced a new engine instead of a transmission. They are just phone opperators looking at a computer screen looking for the next answer if you ask me. I'd like to rip his head threw the phone.

To answer the question about me speed shifting from 1st to 2nd. If they would have made a big deal about that I would have laughed in their face. I mean, its a Corvette. Why else do you buy a car that has 430 hp if your not going to drive the **** out of it.
Thanks for some of the suggestions and comments though. I'll keep this thread posted. I am supposed to get an update tomorrow from GM.
Read your warranty. If I'm not mistaken it clearly talks about competition driving and the warranty not covering related items.
VET4LES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #10
gixxerrob
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: Mansfield Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
tell them the vehicle is not off merchantable quality and back it what is the lemmon laws in Texas.
In Texas if it is used, it doesn't qualify for lemmon law. If I had purchased it new, it would qualify after being in the shop for longer than 30 days and only if the dealer/manufacture did not provide me with a vehicle to drive while it was in the shop. Also, I believe it has to be inside 2 years and 24,000 miles to qualify.

I really don't want them to buy my car back. I just want it fixed.
gixxerrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
gixxerrob
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: Mansfield Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VET4LES View Post
Read your warranty. If I'm not mistaken it clearly talks about competition driving and the warranty not covering related items.
I realize that. I have not taking this car any where near a track. Just kinda driving it fast when getting up on the high way and stuff like that.
gixxerrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #12
cthusker
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
cthusker's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: North Western Connecticut
Default

This is horrible PR for GM.. period!! That's simply unacceptable? Can anyone explain to me the difference between the 08 and 10 tranny? Do not believe there is any difference that I'm aware of... So GM NEEDS to find a tranny built in 08?

ALL BS... total BS... I would keep escalating this until you get it repaired.. Good luck with this mess.............
cthusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:24 AM   #13
DaveV
CF Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2007
Default

I agree its a mess, exchange g/box or diff are expensive i,m positive that GM do a cost cutting exercise its cheaper to pay for labour and parts than replace with new units ???
i wonder how many c5/6 cars have had problems with waiting etc. cheers
DaveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:08 AM   #14
LS WON
CF Senior Member
 
LS WON's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2002
Location: San Francisco CA
Default

On my car engine is USA along with transmission. I do notice on some Corvettes stickers that their transmissions can be from Mexico. The rear end is a Getrag isn't this German?
LS WON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:46 AM   #15
matthewelle
CF Senior Member
 
matthewelle's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2007
Location: PTown CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerrob View Post
So, I'm new here to this forum but not to forum's. I have mostly been on sport bike forums and mustang forums because I had a sport bike and i still own a mustang.

I purchased a 2008 Corvette in July which was one of those dream cars I have always wanted. Unfortunatly, my dream has turned into a nightmare.

Like I said, I bought my Corvette on July 3, 2010. I got a really good deal on it and bought it from a Chevrolet dealership. At the time of purchase, it wa and still is under base warranty however, I also purchased an extended warranty to 100K. Here is the nightmare part. It's been in the shop since August 7, 2010. I've owned the car 110 days and it's been in the shop for 75 days.

I put it into the shop because there was a slight 2nd gear grab on a speed shift from 1st to 2nd. When I went to go pick the car up after the dealer changed out 1st gear, 2nd gear and the synchronizer. The trans now pops out of 2nd gear when I let off the gas and bangs out of 2nd gear when I down shift.

I wanted to post this to those of you that have a C6. Do not put your car in the shop for transmission repair. Nobody has the tool to take the trans apart at least here in DFW area and GM has no transmissions in stock for replacement. I have been waiting for the last 20 days on a transmission that is coming out of Germany.

GM has really been no help either. I've been talking to Kevin from Customer assistance. He called me and left a message one time to follow up with me on my engine.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'm open to any and all. I would really like to get my car back.
Suggestion:
---------------
Request/Demand: a GM [regional] Engineer come out and access your vette through the dealership and customer care.
Site: Time for repair, loss of confidence etc...
Once you can get a GM Engineer out to look it over - repairs move quickly and problems are terminated with extreme prejudice.

This was my experience in resolving my vette issues.

Good Luck...

matthewelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:24 AM   #16
lkelliott
CF Senior Member
 
lkelliott's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: Chino Hills CA
CanyonRunVideos
Send a message via AIM to lkelliott
Default

When you are speed shifting in a C5 or C6 Corvette, the clutch peddle has to be almost to the floor before you can slam it into second gear. The clutch engauges just off of the floor and that is where it also disengauges so you need to practice that before you speedshift again.

In the day most clutch peddles engauged and disengauged closer to the other end of the peddle throw. The transmissions were easier to shift quickly because the clutch disengauged very quickly after your foot first pushed on the peddle. Now days we have to wait a little bit to let our clutch foot get to the floor and then slam it into second. Practice practice practice!

Kent
lkelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:51 AM   #17
BSSN
CF Senior Member
 
BSSN's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Location: Shreveport LA
Send a message via AIM to BSSN Send a message via Yahoo to BSSN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VET4LES View Post
Read your warranty. If I'm not mistaken it clearly talks about competition driving and the warranty not covering related items.
Then why do I distinctly remember the brief at the NCM stating that "Launch control is for use in a competative environment...and will not void warranty if used like some other brands."?
BSSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:53 AM   #18
BSSN
CF Senior Member
 
BSSN's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Location: Shreveport LA
Send a message via AIM to BSSN Send a message via Yahoo to BSSN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthusker View Post
This is horrible PR for GM.. period!! That's simply unacceptable? Can anyone explain to me the difference between the 08 and 10 tranny? Do not believe there is any difference that I'm aware of... So GM NEEDS to find a tranny built in 08?

ALL BS... total BS... I would keep escalating this until you get it repaired.. Good luck with this mess.............
Syncro's are re-designed. The '10 is out of production and the '11 is in production, which saw ANOTHER syncro re-design. Other than that, I am unaware--however, I think GM would WANT to replace his transmission with the latest-greatest syncro's, etc. so as to avoid him darkening their door with another problem, build confidence with him, and make this a more positive experience.
BSSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #19
foremaw
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12
Support Corvetteforum!
 
foremaw's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Providence Forge, VA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxerrob View Post
Why else do you buy a car that has 430 hp if your not going to drive the **** out of it.
Well, one good reason might be because you might break it as you did trying to speed shift.
foremaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:51 AM   #20
gixxerrob
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: Mansfield Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewelle View Post
Suggestion:
---------------
Request/Demand: a GM [regional] Engineer come out and access your vette through the dealership and customer care.
Site: Time for repair, loss of confidence etc...
Once you can get a GM Engineer out to look it over - repairs move quickly and problems are terminated with extreme prejudice.

This was my experience in resolving my vette issues.

Good Luck...

I made that request about 45 - 50 days ago. The Zone Manager aggreed to sending an engineer out. The Zone Manager went on vacation and forgot to send the engineer out. When she got back from vacation, we had blasted her phone so much that the engineer was at the dealership 2 days later. That engineer had to consalt with the trans engineer (they sent the wrong engineer) and about 10 days later they decided to replace the trans. The trans was ordered with an expected arrival date of Oct 15. When it didn't arrive, I went balistic and now we are waiting to find out why there is a parts hold.
gixxerrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:51 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C6 Corvette, 2005 - 2013 > C6 Corvette General Discussion
Reload this Page Transmission problems in a C6
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2005, automatic, c3, c6, c6corvettetransmissionproblems, corvette, corvettes, forum, problem, problems, recall, repair, trans, transmission, troubleshooting


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
700r trans ... do I deserve this GT2Race C4 Tech/Performance 15 06-06-2014 02:57 AM
MY2007 Paddleshifter, Problems with manual Shifting ace4271 C6 Tech/Performance 4 05-27-2013 09:24 AM
2011 C6 - 2nd gear grind and lockout nme904 C6 Tech/Performance 0 05-26-2012 06:20 PM
6 speed automatic transmission ultrvet C6 Corvette General Discussion 5 09-20-2011 06:51 PM
200-4R Trans swap Blue79 C3 General 10 09-22-2010 07:54 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:49 PM.


Emails & Password Backup