C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a aftermarket radio from a 3lt into a base c6 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 10:49 PM
Toofastalex
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a aftermarket radio from a 3lt into a base c6 corvette

Hello, I have a base c6 corvette and I found someone selling their pioneer touch screen stereo with the dash kit and harness. (They still have it installed in their 3lt corvette)
My question is will it be a plug and play situation? Or will I have to buy a different wire harness to install the radio.
thanks!
Old 02-27-2017, 11:19 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

you may want to post this in the AUDIO section of the forum for more responses?

look for it towards the bottom of the forum page.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:26 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427
you may want to post this in the AUDIO section of the forum for more responses?

look for it towards the bottom of the forum page.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:18 AM
LMB-Z
Le Mans Master

Received 441 Likes on 395 Posts

You will have to have an adapter. Still plug and play, just a little more complicated.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:47 AM
nick14003
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

your going to need a module to retain warning chimes etc... Generally these are not plug and play friendly situations with these cars.

But with basic electrical understanding and the right tools, you should be able to do it yourself.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:05 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by Toofastalex
Hello, I have a base c6 corvette and I found someone selling their pioneer touch screen stereo with the dash kit and harness. (They still have it installed in their 3lt corvette)
My question is will it be a plug and play situation? Or will I have to buy a different wire harness to install the radio.
thanks!
Give Dennis at Double D Mods a call. If the radio doesn't have a plug-n-play harness on it, Dennis can probably hook you up with one.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:05 AM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Toofastalex
thanks!

You may or may not be able to reuse the harness, It depends on what specific harness he is using and if you both have the Bose system or basic system setup. But it will not be anymore plug and play than adding a new head unit from scratch. I'm not a fan of using used electronics in cars unless its OEM equipment or you are getting the unit for a steal. Otherwise, I notice that if you shop around you can usually find new products for just about the same price that many are selling their used ones for. Other things to consider is, does he have a SiriusXM tuner attached and do you want that feature, steering wheel controls, do you want to add a back up camera (very simple to add all these things). Also, is his system stock besides the head unit? There is a tutorial on here with pictures that shows you how to swap out the head unit for the DIY'er, but it's gonna be the same process for either new or used swap. But like I said, I always recommend going with new stuff just in case there is a problem it could be a mess trying to trouble shoot someone else's wiring, and installing a new head unit is not that complicated for a DIY'er with a little help from the internet. I just recently added my Pioneer. Many have purchased there stuff through Dennis at Double D Mods. I didn't, I found some great deals elsewhere, but I'm sure he would price match if you call him and he will also do any of the pre-wiring for you if you ask. Also, he is available for questions if you do purchase from him and you do run into problems. I've never dealt with Dennis, but these are things I've picked up from the forum. Here is Dennis's tutorial on installing a head unit yourself;

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...is-to-diy.html

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 02-28-2017 at 10:11 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing a aftermarket radio from a 3lt into a base c6 corvette

Quick Reply: Installing a aftermarket radio from a 3lt into a base c6 corvette