C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my drivetrain crap? Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 04:06 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by RagTop69
I won't try to trouble shoot your grinding noise from the back end when the exhaust is in wong, but I will recommend that, in the future, you take any used car to a neutral mechanic for evaluation. Used car sales are generally considered to be "as is" in most states unless you have a written warranty from the seller. So, if the car turns to crap the day after you buy it from a private party or a dealer and it is without an expressed warranty, you are screwed. Way too much of a risk to take on a car that was probably well over $20K in you're case. Caviat emptor.
Try nearly $40K.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:06 PM
Ron'sGS
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 198 Posts

Old 03-18-2017, 04:33 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchRedFred
It's a Z06 everyone, so it's a manual trans. To the OP, are you sure it's a grinding sound and not a rattling sound? It could be something loose around the exhaust.
ITs more of a clunking noise check up here ^ I described it to him. I'm gonna raise the car and check it. Then go to a mechanic a Chevy one.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:33 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by EVRose
Try nearly $40K.
41.999 actually out the door to be exact. Which was a deal! Except for this problem

Last edited by CammedC6520; 03-18-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:35 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by RobLo
If I'm reading correctly you bought it from a dealer? I know from previous threads you just got the car, any kind of warranty? First thing I'd do is call the selling dealer and tell him what's going on, if he's a distance away maybe he can set it up with a local (to you) dealer to look at the car and report back to him...
It's a used car dealer and no warrenty car is modified.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:36 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Yes, best thing to do is get a look under the car if you can. It might be something obvious. I'm guessing it wasn't doing this when you first left the dealership?
No I noticed it clunks some times. And I only test drove for a mile and I was so excited so I wasn't thinking very clearly.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:44 PM
CadVette
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by CammedC6520
Really? That's the dumbest crap dude. Like I wanna be online here wasting my time while I have a corvette to go have fun with and other life things. It isn't a manual it does the noise a little leaving first then driving is fine. But in neutral it does it bad like shakes the car making a weird noise I wouldent say grinding like clunking then when the car gets shut off it does it bad then the noise and shaking dies with the car. And when I say idling I mean stationary also.

Well now that we have a better clarification as to what kind of transmission you have I would say that it is time to look at the exhaust where it may be rubbing. Automatics usually don't make a grinding noise in neutral and torque converters don't either. There have been trolls on here before so without a proper information it's harder to help out. Sorry if I offended you.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:54 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Lol .... no but I asked the people at the dealer when I bought it they got it from a auction so they don't know if the clutch is after market. And it happens sometimes not all the times usually happens once I start driving then I pull over and idle it does it bad when I turn it off also.
It happens when the car is off?

You have to pinpoint the conditions when it occurs so it can be duplicated. Can you get an audio/video of the sound?
Old 03-18-2017, 04:55 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by CadVette
Well now that we have a better clarification as to what kind of transmission you have I would say that it is time to look at the exhaust where it may be rubbing. Automatics usually don't make a grinding noise in neutral and torque converters don't either. There have been trolls on here before so without a proper information it's harder to help out. Sorry if I offended you.
I was offended just annoyed. But it's ok man thanks for the input. I belie it is the exhaust or I hope Ima move it and align it right. Because the clutch is by the motor and in neutral nonthing in the desire train is moving. But I can't believe a exhaust can make that type of noise. Guess I gotta save up for a mechanic to look at it.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:56 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

No I noticed it clunks some times. And I only test drove for a mile and I was so excited so I wasn't thinking very clearly.
When emotions override logic, bad choices are easily made. 3B's (big boob blondes) will do that too.

A heavily modded auction car from a private dealer has buyer beware written all over it.

Hope it is something simple and not a clutch or torque tube problem.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:57 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by 5knives
It happens when the car is off?

You have to pinpoint the conditions when it occurs so it can be duplicated. Can you get an audio/video of the sound?
I will try and no when it's on but the car is stationary, idling. Idk if a video can capture the sound.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:58 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

It's a used car dealer and no warrenty car is modified.
You posted yesterday that you got the car, now you're posting today that you have a problem, I'd still take it back to the dealer and demand something be done. And it's modified, what difference should that make? He sold it to you modified, correct? It's not like you took it home, modded it and then blew it up and you want him to fix it, he sold it to you like that, shouldn't make any difference. And check your State laws, some States have something like a 3 day rule where you can back out before 3 days, not sure if that would apply after you take delivery. Also check Lemon Laws, not sure if they apply here either but you gotta check every available option. No way would I just accept that I plunked down 42 grand and in 2 days something is broke, I'd be threatening to call the State Attorney General, the Consumer Affairs Dept., everybody!
The following users liked this post:
CammedC6520 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 05:00 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
When emotions override logic, bad choices are easily made. 3B's (big boob blondes) will do that too.

A heavily modded auction car from a private dealer has buyer beware written all over it.

Hope it is something simple and not a clutch or torque tube problem.
Hahahaha 3bs ain't that right.

But I wouldent say well the power isn't heavily modified it only has 20k miles I can't see it being that messed up. Like who owns a z for first owner 0-13k miles 13-20k miles and beat it. These are pretty expensive cars I'm sure there was some care with it. I did notice the clutch resivour was black with some stuff floating it. Most people don't know you need to flush it so it didn't bug me. But now I'm thinking it was a race car so he must of knew.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:01 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

18 and one month! Damn I took the car out this morning with my friend who's also saving for a 427. Hammered it in first around 3 rpms only 70% throttle. All the way to 80 talk about g force damn little spin in first with warmed up tires!
You broke it already.

Has the harmonic balancer been replaced? Is it wobbling?
Old 03-18-2017, 05:02 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by RobLo
You posted yesterday that you got the car, now you're posting today that you have a problem, I'd still take it back to the dealer and demand something be done. And it's modified, what difference should that make? He sold it to you modified, correct? It's not like you took it home, modded it and then blew it up and you want him to fix it, he sold it to you like that, shouldn't make any difference. And check your State laws, some States have something like a 3 day rule where you can back out before 3 days, not sure if that would apply after you take delivery. Also check Lemon Laws, not sure if they apply here either but you gotta check every available option. No way would I just accept that I plunked down 42 grand and in 2 days something is broke, I'd be threatening to call the State Attorney General, the Consumer Affairs Dept., everybody!
I will look into I wouldent want to give it back it has over 12k worth of stuff from my calculations. So if I need a 1500$ diff I rather save for it or what ever is broken. Cause I paid for the cars retail as if it were stock.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:03 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by 5knives
You broke it already.

Has the harmonic balancer been replaced? Is it wobbling?
Idk doesn't look like it needs it that problem was with ls2s. And no that happened before I did that with my friend.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:06 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Hahahaha 3bs ain't that right.

But I wouldent say well the power isn't heavily modified it only has 20k miles I can't see it being that messed up. Like who owns a z for first owner 0-13k miles 13-20k miles and beat it. These are pretty expensive cars I'm sure there was some care with it. I did notice the clutch resivour was black with some stuff floating it. Most people don't know you need to flush it so it didn't bug me. But now I'm thinking it was a race car so he must of knew.
Well you said it does have a roll cage in it. I don't think someone put that in there to use it as a Sunday driver.

Get notified of new replies

To Is my drivetrain crap? Help please!

Old 03-18-2017, 05:37 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,888 Likes on 1,911 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Car has been rode hard and put up wet. Gonna be a problem child.

Now tell me how you got a Z06 with a automatic. BS
Old 03-18-2017, 05:39 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Well you said it does have a roll cage in it. I don't think someone put that in there to use it as a Sunday driver.
Yeah i was thinking about that I thought it would be their daily / weekend race car
Old 03-18-2017, 05:40 PM
CammedC6520
Drifting

Originally Posted by wayback
Car has been rode hard and put up wet. Gonna be a problem child.

Now tell me how you got a Z06 with a automatic. BS
I'm so damn confuse, what are you saying buddy? Lol smoking that good stuff??

Quick Reply: Is my drivetrain crap? Help please!