Is my drivetrain crap? Help please! - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C6 Corvette General Discussion
General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my drivetrain crap? Help please!

Old 03-18-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
CammedC6520
CF Senior Member

Default Is my drivetrain crap? Help please!

Hey I just bought a 2008 corvette with 20000 miles. I just noticed it has like a grinding noise and vibrates the car in nutreual. Does anything move in dravetrain in nuteraul. I think it might be the exhaust cause it's placed wong in the car back please help!!
CammedC6520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #2
CMY SIX
CF Senior Member

you placed the exhaust in wong? poor wong
CMY SIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:46 PM   #3
CammedC6520
CF Senior Member

lol thanks for help
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMY SIX View Post
you placed the exhaust in wong? poor wong
Old 03-18-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
ben z
CF Senior Member

Just a sample of one, but I have an '08 with 25K on it, and while the drivetrain isn't exactly silent, it doesn't do anything like what you describe. Short answer is, if mine did that I would have it looked at by a mechanic.

Is the car a manual? If so does it still make the noise with the clutch disengaged?
ben z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #5
5knives
CF Senior Member

Did you break it already?!

Does it have an aftermarket clutch/flywheel/pressure plate?

It's grinding while idling in neutral? What happens when you press the clutch?
5knives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:02 PM   #6
rkj427
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

may also be the exhaust........... any point of contact would allow the noise / vibration to be transmitted through the car and into the passenger compartment................
rkj427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #7
LMB-Z
CF Senior Member

Your exhaust is in the back of the car??? I think you are just trying to get more stars by posting thread after thread after thread. I don't know whats wong with your car, but I would say driver error. 18 yrs and 1 month. WOW!!!. You need to read the owners manual at least 3 times BEFORE driving the car. Then read for at least a week 8 hours a day on this forum to learn things about your car. Then you can honestly ask a question. Good luck.

Also, you have a Z06...please post in the correct forum, not the C6 General Discussion. Post in the C6 Z06 discussion. You will get more helpful answers that way.

Last edited by LMB-Z; 03-18-2017 at 03:12 PM.
LMB-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #8
RagTop69
CF Senior Member

I won't try to trouble shoot your grinding noise from the back end when the exhaust is in wong, but I will recommend that, in the future, you take any used car to a neutral mechanic for evaluation. Used car sales are generally considered to be "as is" in most states unless you have a written warranty from the seller. So, if the car turns to crap the day after you buy it from a private party or a dealer and it is without an expressed warranty, you are screwed. Way too much of a risk to take on a car that was probably well over $20K in you're case. Caviat emptor.

Last edited by RagTop69; 03-18-2017 at 03:15 PM.
RagTop69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #9
CadVette
CF Senior Member

You didn't mention if the car was an automatic or standard. An exhaust usually won't cause a grinding noise unless it is rubbing severly on something. If the car is a manual shift it could possibly be a throwout bearing. Does it make a difference in noise when you put the clutch in? Dravetrain? Nuteraul? Are you trolling us?
CadVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:24 PM   #10
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member

It's a Z06 everyone, so it's a manual trans. To the OP, are you sure it's a grinding sound and not a rattling sound? It could be something loose around the exhaust.
TorchRedFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #11
CammedC6520
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB-Z View Post
Your exhaust is in the back of the car??? I think you are just trying to get more stars by posting thread after thread after thread. I don't know whats wong with your car, but I would say driver error. 18 yrs and 1 month. WOW!!!. You need to read the owners manual at least 3 times BEFORE driving the car. Then read for at least a week 8 hours a day on this forum to learn things about your car. Then you can honestly ask a question. Good luck.

Also, you have a Z06...please post in the correct forum, not the C6 General Discussion. Post in the C6 Z06 discussion. You will get more helpful answers that way.
No I'm not trying to get stars why the hell would I care about that. My dad also hears it. I'm saying there is a grinding noise coming in idle and it only happens sometimes.....
Old 03-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #12
CammedC6520
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben z View Post
Just a sample of one, but I have an '08 with 25K on it, and while the drivetrain isn't exactly silent, it doesn't do anything like what you describe. Short answer is, if mine did that I would have it looked at by a mechanic.

Is the car a manual? If so does it still make the noise with the clutch disengaged?
I will I'm kinda worried about it.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #13
CammedC6520
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5knives View Post
Did you break it already?!

Does it have an aftermarket clutch/flywheel/pressure plate?

It's grinding while idling in neutral? What happens when you press the clutch?
Lol .... no but I asked the people at the dealer when I bought it they got it from a auction so they don't know if the clutch is after market. And it happens sometimes not all the times usually happens once I start driving then I pull over and idle it does it bad when I turn it off also.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:29 PM   #14
CammedC6520
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj427 View Post
may also be the exhaust........... any point of contact would allow the noise / vibration to be transmitted through the car and into the passenger compartment................

Yeah I do notice the passenger side exhaust is against the frame and a metal tubing looks like for the gasoline tank.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #15
CammedC6520
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMB-Z View Post

Also driver error? I just bought the damn car
Old 03-18-2017, 03:32 PM   #16
CammedC6520
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagTop69 View Post
I won't try to trouble shoot your grinding noise from the back end when the exhaust is in wong, but I will recommend that, in the future, you take any used car to a neutral mechanic for evaluation. Used car sales are generally considered to be "as is" in most states unless you have a written warranty from the seller. So, if the car turns to crap the day after you buy it from a private party or a dealer and it is without an expressed warranty, you are screwed. Way too much of a risk to take on a car that was probably well over $20K in you're case. Caviat emptor.
They said somthing about that when they buy ther cars in auction they don't buy cars "as is". Because somthing might be wrong. They did tell me they guarantee the car is in good condition.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #17
CammedC6520
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadVette View Post
You didn't mention if the car was an automatic or standard. An exhaust usually won't cause a grinding noise unless it is rubbing severly on something. If the car is a manual shift it could possibly be a throwout bearing. Does it make a difference in noise when you put the clutch in? Dravetrain? Nuteraul? Are you trolling us?

Really? That's the dumbest crap dude. Like I wanna be online here wasting my time while I have a corvette to go have fun with and other life things. It isn't a manual it does the noise a little leaving first then driving is fine. But in neutral it does it bad like shakes the car making a weird noise I wouldent say grinding like clunking then when the car gets shut off it does it bad then the noise and shaking dies with the car. And when I say idling I mean stationary also.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:37 PM   #18
CammedC6520
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorchRedFred View Post
It's a Z06 everyone, so it's a manual trans. To the OP, are you sure it's a grinding sound and not a rattling sound? It could be something loose around the exhaust.
ITs more of a clunking noise check up here ^ I described it to him. I'm gonna raise the car and check it. Then go to a mechanic a Chevy one.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:48 PM   #19
RobLo
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

If I'm reading correctly you bought it from a dealer? I know from previous threads you just got the car, any kind of warranty? First thing I'd do is call the selling dealer and tell him what's going on, if he's a distance away maybe he can set it up with a local (to you) dealer to look at the car and report back to him...
RobLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #20
TorchRedFred
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammedC6520 View Post
ITs more of a clunking noise check up here ^ I described it to him. I'm gonna raise the car and check it. Then go to a mechanic a Chevy one.
Yes, best thing to do is get a look under the car if you can. It might be something obvious. I'm guessing it wasn't doing this when you first left the dealership?
TorchRedFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Is my drivetrain crap? Help please!
  •