C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel or Aluminum Flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:11 PM
dsp300c
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Steel or Aluminum Flywheel?

If I am going drag racing 2 times a month is the aluminum flywheel worth the extra $500 over a steel flywheel with a new clutch? A buddy told steel would be better for launches at the track but the aluminum would be lighter.

Let me know your thoughts,
Andrew
Old 10-06-2008, 07:12 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Unless the car is a super high revver, launching the car is better with the steel flywheel
Old 10-06-2008, 07:14 PM
dsp300c
Melting Slicks

It will see the normal 6500 or so rpm shifts at the track.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Bad06vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dsp300c
I'm pretty sure he means your launching RPM. If you are launching at high rev its going to be harder on your clutch/flywheel. So, if you are dropping it at or close to redline you should get an aluminum. If not, a steel one should suffice.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:58 PM
dsp300c
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bad06vette
I'm pretty sure he means your launching RPM. If you are launching at high rev its going to be harder on your clutch/flywheel. So, if you are dropping it at or close to redline you should get an aluminum. If not, a steel one should suffice.
go away brendan...haha...lock you from all my threads...jk
if he meant launch rpms i won't be doing any crazy high rpm launches...don't have the ***** for that...haha
Old 10-06-2008, 10:11 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

I agree that a steel flywheel carries more rotational mass and will help w/ launching a car( especially at lower rpms), but you have 4.10 gears and a fairly light car so gettin out of the hole shouldn't be a problem and the aluminum will rev faster...I've cut a 1.64 launching at only 4k rpm w/ 4.10s and aluminum flywheel...one thing to consider w/ a big cam is that there is less "cushion" between engine/drivetrain and it will cause more "feedback" at low rpms cruising ie traffic
Old 10-06-2008, 10:12 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If I am going drag racing 2 times a month is the aluminum flywheel worth the extra $500 over a steel flywheel with a new clutch? A buddy told steel would be better for launches at the track but the aluminum would be lighter.

Let me know your thoughts,
Andrew
Your buddy told you everything you needed to know...

Irrelevant. The flywheel weight affects LAUNCH RPM, not the RPM you shift at.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:34 PM
dsp300c
Melting Slicks

looks like i will go with steel flywheel and save the extra $500...but still keep the comments coming...
Old 10-07-2008, 07:52 AM
9secondflat
Melting Slicks

all things being equal from a roll two cars with the same mods - one with a steel the other with an aluminum flywheel...the car with the aluminum flywheel will walk away from the other car....
Old 10-07-2008, 08:43 AM
dsp300c
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 9secondflat
all things being equal from a roll two cars with the same mods - one with a steel the other with an aluminum flywheel...the car with the aluminum flywheel will walk away from the other car....
hmmm...so just b/c it is lighter it will walk away or b/c it will rev faster?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:07 AM
bunk22
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please explain how a car with an aluminum flywheel walks away from a car with a steel flywheel, all else being equal I suppose. I get how they work but I fail to see how the lighter flywheel walks away
Old 10-07-2008, 09:17 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by bunk22
Please explain how a car with an aluminum flywheel walks away from a car with a steel flywheel, all else being equal I suppose. I get how they work but I fail to see how the lighter flywheel walks away
It takes energy (HP) to turn that heavy flywheel, you can use that energy to either spin the flywheel or to propel the car.

Spin a ping pong ball, then spin a bowling ball. Which takes more work?

BUT, for drag racing, once you get it spinning (at the launch) it has more stored energy and will launch harder.

Now roll that ping pong ball at something then roll the bowling ball.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:29 AM
dsp300c
Melting Slicks

so say you go the strip once or twice a month but want to have a little fun around town with your car...would you go steel or aluminum...
Old 10-07-2008, 01:17 PM
9secondflat
Melting Slicks

i went with aluminum- a few years ago i think it was MTI that did a test - i believe it was the same car just changed from a steel to aluminum flywheel. the dyno print out showed how much quicker the car's engine revved..the quicker you can go through the gears the faster your going..
Old 10-07-2008, 01:23 PM
9secondflat
Melting Slicks

here is the link- dyno printouts and full story

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/0407vet...ion/index.html

Dietary Horsepower
Seeking the Truth About Lightweight Flywheels

Die-hard racers and serious performance fanatics are always looking for ways to save weight in their street or track cars. They know that weight robs performance. It's not unusual to see carbon-fiber body panels, gutted interiors, and lightweight wheels on track and some street performance vehicles. Reese ***, owner of MTI Racing, is a die-hard racer. He is a former crew chief for a major Corvette endurance racing team and a SpeedVision (World Challenge) GT competitor, and he currently spends his time tuning customer Corvettes. He contacted Team VETTE with a wild idea--modifying both a brand-new ZO6 and one of his tuner ZO6s with a lightweight flywheel plus a high-performance clutch and pressure plate. Reese was convinced that we would see a nice bump in performance from both cars after such a change. Intrigued, we set up some test parameters. First, we wanted the cars tested on a drum-style chassis dyno to determine their rear-wheel horsepower. Next we required that each of the cars be pre- and post-dyno-tested on the same day. Reese agreed to our terms and to provide the cars and labor if we could find parts for the project.

Team VETTE has high regard for Fidanza products, so we contacted their Marketing Manager, Bob Sheid, with our idea. Bob was very excited about Reese's proposal and agreed to provide us with two of their latest lightweight flywheels. He also convinced us to install SPEC pressure plates and clutches into our test cars. Bob was so excited about our project that he decided to attend the installation along with owner Lou Fidanza to provide on-the-spot technical advice! We called Reese back and told him the project was a go. After all of the parts were delivered, Bob Sheid, Lou Fidanza, and Team VETTE met at Reece's shop in Marietta, Georgia, to start the project. As promised, Reece found a customer who volunteered his brand-new Commemorative Edition ZO6 for our test. We are not kidding about brand new! Denny Stradtman's beautiful new car only had a little over 700 miles on the clock. Our second test car is Reece's personal black '01 Z06 "development" car. This car has had its intake, heads, cam, exhaust, brakes, suspension, and wheels modified. It's fast and sounds bad.

Reese arranged to take both cars to a dyno before their modifications. First up was the new ZO6, which produced 357.3 hp and 351.8 ft-lb of torque on its third run. Water temperature was 191oF and oil temp was at 210oF. Outside temperature was 53oF. The runs were made in fourth gear from 2,000 rpm to 6,400 rpm, and it took 14 seconds for the car to reach its maximum horsepower. Now that we'd established a baseline, it was time to install the new parts in Denny's ZO6. Reese's crew consisted of himself, David Munder, Chris Harwood, and Jesus Garcia. In a blink of the eye, the center console, wheels, rear suspension, transmission, and torque tube were removed from the new ZO6. Next, the stock pressure plate, clutch, and flywheel were removed and weighed. The three factory parts hit the scale at 51 pounds. The new Fidanza 12.5-pound aluminum flywheel (PN 198571, retails at $439.00), and the 14.5-pound Spec Stage 1 clutch/pressure plate unit (PN SC091, retails at $299.00) totaled 27 pounds--a savings of 24 pounds of rotating weight at the crankshaft! The team installed the new flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate in record time, and they all fit perfectly. Three hours and ten minutes after the first wrench was turned, the crew had finished reinstalling all of the parts, and the car was returned to the dyno!

Fortunately our weather was holding and the outside temperature was 54oF for our repeat test. On the way to the dyno, we noticed a slight increase in clutch pedal pressure over the stock unit, but it was not annoying. Our best of three runs netted 366.6 hp and 360.4 lbs of torque--a gain of 9.3 hp and 8.6 ft-lb of torque. Maximum horsepower was achieved in 11 vs. 14 seconds with the stock parts, and maximum torque was seen in 9 vs. 11 seconds with the stock parts! Back on the road, Denny's Z06 revved a little quicker and required a lighter push on the loud pedal. We could feel the difference. Satisfied with our results, we headed back to the shop to make preparations for the next day.

The MTI team started the next day off by taking Reese's black, modified Z06 to the dyno. The outside temperature was 56oF, and three runs were made in fourth gear from 2,000 to 6,500 rpm. The third run produced the best readings with 437.5 horsepower and 376.2 ft-lb of torque at the rear wheels with the factory flywheel/ clutch/pressure plate. Water temperature was 193oF and the oil was 209. The car was returned to the shop to install the new parts. The team installed another Fidanza PN 198571 flywheel, this time with a SPEC Stage 3 Clutch with Hybrid Pressure Plate (retails for $699.00). The job took four hours because the long tube headers on this car are a tight fit and are difficult to remove. Back at the dyno, the outside temperature was 58oF, and Reese made three runs in fourth gear from 2,000 to 6,500 rpm. The third run produced 449.2 hp and 400.3 ft-lb of torque. Water temperature was 194oF and the oil was 210 degrees. This was a net gain of 12 hp and 21.10 ft-lb of torque. Maximum horsepower was achieved in 8 vs. 9 seconds with the stock parts, and maximum torque was achieved in 5 vs. 6.4 seconds with the stock parts.

At the conclusion of the tests, Reese shared his observations with us about installing the Fidanza and SPEC components into our test cars. "The important thing to look at in this test procedure is the time to speed relationship, not necessarily the increase in horsepower. Keep in mind the test device we used was an inertia dyno. A flywheel does not make any horsepower, but it shows up as a horsepower gain because you have reduced the inertia on an inertia dyno. So you need to look at the reduction in time to speed that was created by the reduction of inertia. We went from 14 to 11 seconds to 145 mph on the stock Z06. What that tells you is how the car is going to feel on the street. It is going to accelerate quicker to the redline."

And after all isn't that what we expect to gain from a good diet--more speed from less weight!
Old 10-07-2008, 02:40 PM
dsp300c
Melting Slicks

that is some good info...makes me think now
Old 10-07-2008, 03:49 PM
bunk22
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Understood and all good info but lets see how a car with an aluminum flywheel walks away from a car without. Example would be before and after 1/4 mile runs.

Get notified of new replies

To Steel or Aluminum Flywheel?

Old 10-07-2008, 03:55 PM
9secondflat
Melting Slicks

0-145 mph 11 seconds
0-145 mph 14 seconds

every second is 10 car lenghts at speed so this is about 30 car lengths.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:09 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

0-145 mph 11 seconds
0-145 mph 14 seconds

This is happening on an inertia roller dyno where there is zero air resistance. If you think you are going to gain 30 car lengths on a stock car by doing nothing but dropping 20lbs of weight from the flywheel clutch assembly, you are going to be very disappointed
Actually for that matter if you think your stock car with a flywheel will hit 145MPH in 11 seconds you are going to be very disappointed too... You would need to me around 8 or 9HUNDRED horsepower at the crank to do that. And hook it all up.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Bad06vette
Burning Brakes

0-145 mph 11 seconds
0-145 mph 14 seconds

hmmm

Last edited by Bad06vette; 10-07-2008 at 04:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Steel or Aluminum Flywheel?