C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming a new BCM

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 10:50 AM
CroOrange
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Programming a new BCM

Hi guys,

I wanted to know if I could program a new BCM for my vette without having to connect to the TIS system?

I have a GM Tech II with the most recent NAO, updated it yesterday morning.

I have done some changes to my car and need to reprogram the BCM, I was thinking of doing with a new BCM in case I screw up.

a++ Cedric
Old 11-02-2008, 01:17 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Cro
Hi guys,

I wanted to know if I could program a new BCM for my vette without having to connect to the TIS system?

I have a GM Tech II with the most recent NAO, updated it yesterday morning.

I have done some changes to my car and need to reprogram the BCM, I was thinking of doing with a new BCM in case I screw up.

a++ Cedric
Cedric the problem is that even if you connect to TIS2WEB to configure your BCM it will only give you the options that is for your car because it is tied to your cars VIN. You can change certain options in the BCM now when the tech2 asks if you want to set options only because now your BCM is already programmed with your VIN. I don't know if CE4 is available separately in the options list, but it may have to be installed in the country option list. If you do that there are certain issues that can occur if you change the country that the car orginated from. If you have a NAV radio with satellite, the choosing the Europe country option will cause the satellite radio to be intermittent or totally inoperative. CE4 may have to be installed with a different country code. Obviously CE4 was only available in export spec cars.

When you choose X country that the car is delivered in, certain functions such as the countrys lighting programming is AUTOMATICALLY configured to the BCM as well is certain functions for the entertainment systems and certain safety features. These CANNOT be separately changed. GM did this so that someone can't go in and change the lighting which will violate DOT regs here in our country.

Another question have you added the wiring from the BCM to the underhood fuse box that would contain the relays for the headlamp washer pump. One other thing, if there is NOT a separate function for the headlamp washer, the BCM logic to fire the headlamp washer pump may already be in the BCM so all that is needed is to wire the relays. I can almost gurantee you that the wiring from the BCM to the headlamp washers will NOT be in the harness. I know this because I have added Euro spec lighting in these cars and have had to add wiring to the harness to make the lamps work correctly. One wire for the rear fog lamps from the multi-function switch all that was missing from the USA car to the BCM, and you would think GM would have one harness, but NO WAY the wire was missing! As was the wire from the BCM to the rear of the car.

You might try activating the washers, then checking the circuit that fires the headlamp washer relay to see if it is active. See attachement below for a diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
washers.pdf (40.9 KB, 413 views)
Old 11-02-2008, 06:10 PM
CroOrange
Pro

Hi Tom,

Regarding the headlamp washers, I have installed the wire from the under hood fuse box to the headlamp washer pump per say.

In order to do this I have acquired the European harness, the appropriate lighting systems and the headlamp washers.

So from a technical perspective, everything is installed and is functional. I did not check if there is a wire that fires the headlamp washer relay from the BCM. I have only insured from the headlamp washer relay that is in the fuse box onwards to have everything fully functional.

However as the fuse box contains the headlamp relay, my assumption was that the BCM was wired to the fuse box, otherwise why put the relay in?!

The headlamp washer system does not activate as specified in the GM Service Manual (once every 4 requests).

My current assumption is that I have no choice but to activate the CE4 RPO in the BCM to get it fully functional.

Also whilst accessing the options list in the BCM, there is zero reference to the headlamp washer system or CE4 RPO.

Although I perfectly understand that everything is connected to the VIN, there has to be a way to change the configuration of the car. I highly doubt that GM would lock forever the hardware configuration of the car once it leaves the factory: that would be downright stupid.

The issue is that I have found no one that has a clue, I guess only the software developer of the corvette BCM would know.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it

BTW I'm still am waiting the rear harness, I have the EURO lights and reflectors. Apparently it is on Back Order. If I don't get the harness in a month or two, I'll make one myself as I have found a company that sells the Delphi connectors.

The wiring for the back lights looks pretty straight forward, the only issue I have is de-xoring the turn signal and the stop lamp.

I haven't had a look at it in detail, from your previous posts I gathered that putting the car in Euro mode makes it non functional.

If that is the case I will put a XOR chip to get the turn signal back without the brake lights as:
((A xor B) xor B) = A

Where A would be the turn signal and B the stop light signal

Just going to have to find an electronics shop in the USA to get the 12V power XOR circuit :o)

a++ Cedric
Old 11-02-2008, 07:09 PM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That is the problem because GM does lock it up once the BCM is flashed with your VIN. But you can circumvent this by going into the options and changing the country of origin. I found this by accident, it is tricky but this works. Once you choose a different country, say Europe, and then save the configuration, key cycle the power and attempt to start the car. The car will NOT start, so what you do is to go back into the BCM programming, then it will once again tell you its locked and will ask if you want to change the options. Once again go to change the options and if you had checked the Europe country of origin, you have to UNCHECK that option, then DO NOT pick another country, then save the configuration. Your car should now start but will keep the Europe country option!
Old 11-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Caliero
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price of the hardware/software necessary?

What is the price of the hardware and software necessary to reprogram a corvette to european requirements? (I need this to make the european lights to run).
Then, if I re-program my 2008 corvette to european requirements, does it sepparate the turning signals and brake lights?
Because dealers tell me that installing the european lights, and the harness kit (actually out of order), and reprogramming it, will be enough to have correctlu run the european lights.
Is this as easy?
Need help with this!!

Originally Posted by tjwong
That is the problem because GM does lock it up once the BCM is flashed with your VIN. But you can circumvent this by going into the options and changing the country of origin. I found this by accident, it is tricky but this works. Once you choose a different country, say Europe, and then save the configuration, key cycle the power and attempt to start the car. The car will NOT start, so what you do is to go back into the BCM programming, then it will once again tell you its locked and will ask if you want to change the options. Once again go to change the options and if you had checked the Europe country of origin, you have to UNCHECK that option, then DO NOT pick another country, then save the configuration. Your car should now start but will keep the Europe country option!
Old 11-03-2008, 02:26 PM
CroOrange
Pro

Originally Posted by Caliero
What is the price of the hardware and software necessary to reprogram a corvette to european requirements? (I need this to make the european lights to run).
Then, if I re-program my 2008 corvette to european requirements, does it sepparate the turning signals and brake lights?
Because dealers tell me that installing the european lights, and the harness kit (actually out of order), and reprogramming it, will be enough to have correctlu run the european lights.
Is this as easy?
Need help with this!!

If you are in such a hurry why not let the dealer manage it? Just curious.

To answer your question I am not finished with the process and have various options that have not been fully evaluated.

No, it's not so easy and straight forward.

Cedric

Get notified of new replies

To Programming a new BCM

Quick Reply: Programming a new BCM