C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-30-2015, 05:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General How-Tos
Print Wikipost

c6 convertible electric Top? reset possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 11:37 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
It would have been great if GM had provided a DIC warning that the windows needed to be indexed.

It's the one thing that will prevent the top from moving without any warning message.
So true...
Old 10-26-2015, 10:29 AM
FuManchuria
Navigator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so I've done all these things, battery disconnect, window re-indexing, but still the top will not work on auto.
What's to do next? A T4/ECU/BCU investigation.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:16 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FuManchuria
OK, so I've done all these things, battery disconnect, window re-indexing, but still the top will not work on auto.
What's to do next? A T4/ECU/BCU investigation.
What do you mean by "on auto". The top only has one mode. We need a bit more info to help. If the top motor will not work at all, the first thing I would check would be the fuse.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:38 PM
FuManchuria
Navigator

I mean not manual, working on the button.
Yes, I need to check the fuse it's true. Is that found in the foot well?
Thanks.

Originally Posted by cclive
What do you mean by "on auto". The top only has one mode. We need a bit more info to help. If the top motor will not work at all, the first thing I would check would be the fuse.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:57 PM
cclive
Team Owner

OK, makes sense. There are actually a number of fuses that interact with the Vert top. There is one for the pull down mech on the tonneau. There is one for the solenoid release of the tonneau. The one that looks like it is for the motor is also for the ALCL. You need to look in the back of your owners manual for a complete diagram of fuses. Obviously, it could be any one since, for example, the top won't start moving until the tonneau is opened, so the tonneau fuse could be holding up the whole procedure.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:55 AM
FuManchuria
Navigator

Thanks Clive. I checked and all the fuses are OK. I next tried the relays and there could be a problem with these. There is a block of four together, all the same, on the passenger foot well board. One of these relates to the convertible top. I switched these relays around but the results were not clear so I want to procure some new relays to obviate any possibility of failed parts.
My local Corvette agent isn't much help; all they say is that the spares they can get are by ACDelco and the prices of these; the relays on my car are by Omron.
Omron make a vast array of relays and much other stuff but the references on my relays bear no reference, to anything I can find published or on the Internet.
I have a suspicion that the ones I see on eBay are the same, but again, the references do not agree so I feel apprehensive about using them, although the circuits seem to be the same.
I feel sure that therein lies a solution.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:53 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Just as an FYI...I'm pretty sure that for manual tranny cars, you have to have the parking brake lever pulled on to operate the top. I assume for automatics this means the gear shift must be in 'Park'.This is in addition to the windows being properly indexed and the boot/trunk divider being snapped into place.
The following users liked this post:
FuManchuria (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 01:34 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You can put the top up/down in gear with an A6 if you pull the E-brake up one click.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:20 PM
FuManchuria
Navigator

Thanks '55. Yes, all those things done. I shall change out the relay because I think that's where the problem is.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:47 PM
albert6363
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I have a 2005 c6 convertible and my top will open fine. But when I go to close it, it go thru the whole cycle fine except for the tonneau cover will not close down? Please help. I replaced the tonnea pull down switch part #15901812 and still it does not come down?
​​​​​​​
Old 01-26-2018, 09:26 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by albert6363

Hi everyone,

I have a 2005 c6 convertible and my top will open fine. But when I go to close it, it go thru the whole cycle fine except for the tonneau cover will not close down? Please help. I replaced the tonnea pull down switch part #15901812 and still it does not come down?
​​​​​​​
The most obvious thing to check first is the fuses, there are 4.

The one that would most likely be the culprit is "TPA (Tonneau Pulldown Actuator)" and it's in the fuse box in the passenger foot-well.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:11 PM
albert6363
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
The most obvious thing to check first is the fuses, there are 4.

The one that would most likely be the culprit is "TPA (Tonneau Pulldown Actuator)" and it's in the fuse box in the passenger foot-well.
Thank you very much for your quick reply. I’ve checked all 4 fuses and they look ok. The TPA fuse is a 20 amp fuse and it look ok. I also replaced the relay OMRON 659298 also. I’ve even replaced the convertible top latch GM part # 15901812.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:24 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

So when you say you "open it" you are putting the top down and the tonneau closes and latches. Is this correct?

And when you say you "close it" you are putting the top up and the tonneau will not close/latch and the top is stuck 1/4 of the way open?

Did you make sure the pressure relief valve on the pump is tight?

If so, it's one of the switches that 'tells' the computer that the top/back window is folded up high enough for the tonneau to clear it and complete the process.

And/or it could be that the straps have stretched and the top isn't being pulled far enough. If this is the problem the top will also snag/rub the front of the tonneau when the top is being put down.

Here's a link to a thread about replacing the top that shows everything (if the pics are still there).

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...easy-pics.html

Here's one on tightening the straps.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ith-video.html

And here's one on replacing the pull down actuator.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-pictures.html

Good luck with this PITA, and forget taking it to a Dealer. They usually farm out this kind of stuff. But it sounds like you are capable, you'll just have to persevere.

Edit- Just checked and only the last two links still have pics intact.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 01-26-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:36 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's a pic of the pump and pressure relief valve with an Allen wrench. It's mounted on the passenger side wall.

Have you tried reaching back and pulling up the rear of the top to clear the tonneau while you are putting it up/pressing the button?

That would narrow it down to the straps if it works.

Last edited by Knob Jockey; 01-26-2018 at 11:37 PM.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:46 PM
ToplessVetteAt42
Racer

thank you for this info, just had the same problem, and re-indexing the windows corrected the issue. THANK YOU!
Old 05-07-2018, 12:12 PM
capt. sam
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Top going down stops

Recently sold my smart car and now have a vert '07 C6. And brother I don't know what I'm doing. More rocket than car. But here's a minor prob. Push and hold the button and the top goes up and settles nicely to bed in the trunk - perfect. On raising the top it automatically goes up halfway and stops. I push and hold the button a second time and it perfectly meets the windshield. Is this 2nd push according to Hoyle? Or should it work completely with just one push and hold?
Old 05-08-2018, 08:47 AM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,674 Likes on 1,699 Posts

Originally Posted by capt. sam
Recently sold my smart car and now have a vert '07 C6. And brother I don't know what I'm doing. More rocket than car. But here's a minor prob. Push and hold the button and the top goes up and settles nicely to bed in the trunk - perfect. On raising the top it automatically goes up halfway and stops. I push and hold the button a second time and it perfectly meets the windshield. Is this 2nd push according to Hoyle? Or should it work completely with just one push and hold?
Mine works with one push and hold of the switch. The top stops in the vertical position for a while before continuing on to the top moving forward to the windshield header.

Get notified of new replies

To c6 convertible electric Top? reset possible?

Old 05-08-2018, 10:02 AM
capt. sam
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BadAV
Mine works with one push and hold of the switch. The top stops in the vertical position for a while before continuing on to the top moving forward to the windshield header.
Thanks. What I thought was a problem is no more!
Old 07-14-2018, 12:56 AM
BillyQ
1st Gear

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by A m o u d i
Power Window Initialize
After a power reconnect such as battery replacement,
the window index-up feature will not function until
the system is initialized. Once power is restored,
do the following:
1. Close the door.
2. Raise the window by pulling up the switch.
3. Hold the up switch for three seconds after the
window is closed. Release the switch.
4. Hold the up switch again for three seconds
and release.

Good luck.
Did the C6 stuck in park remedy and after re-connecting the battery, top was inoperative. Re-indexed windows...worked like a charm! Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
JimBoaz (03-30-2020)
Old 08-04-2018, 06:34 PM
Bryan.Elkins
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No power interruption, but when I raised the roof I left the top release handle in the open position. Nothing in owners manual said to put the release handle back in the original position before putting the top down. Top went down, but tonneau cover stayed in up position. Now it won't go back up or down. What's the fix? Index windows?

Quick Reply: c6 convertible electric Top? reset possible?