C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Exhaust too quiet

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Stock Exhaust too quiet

Hi

I have a stock 2007 base vert that l would like to make a little louder without breaking the bank.

What options do l have? I would prefer to buy local (Ga.) and used if possible.

Thanks

Alan
Old 09-18-2014, 01:57 PM
easttx1982c3
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Muffler delete. I did mine about 3 weeks ago. Love it. Cost $125
Old 09-18-2014, 03:18 PM
GW360
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a lower-cost alternative to a cat-back system:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...installed.html
Old 09-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Default Not Bad

Originally Posted by GW360
Here's a lower-cost alternative to a cat-back system:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...installed.html
I moved from the NE to Ga. So l will check out local shops.

Thanks for the great ireas
Old 09-18-2014, 07:58 PM
A4ea
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put Corsa Extreme on my 2007 base and very happy.....way over $125 , tho...ha
Old 09-18-2014, 08:23 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by A4ea
I just put Corsa Extreme on my 2007 base and very happy.....way over $125 , tho...ha

The Corsa Extreme is too extreme!!?,
Old 09-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 819 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I did the muffler mod, cost about $15
Old 09-18-2014, 08:34 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

That magna flow system is ok until you put on headers then the drone will drive you crazy. It's horrible at 70 mph. I had it and had to get rid of it.

I went with cutouts. Loud or quiet, your choice. And unlike NPP or Z06 mufflers, the sound inside the car is great with the turndowns redirected to the ground. Super deep.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-my-c6.html

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Had QTP cutouts installed by Florida Performance in Fort Lauderdale. Overall very pleased with the job Rob, the shop owner, did. This was his first C6 and he found a great place to put them and made the custom mandrel bent Y-pipes to maximize flow from the cutouts. We found no way to put them right after the collectors but they fit well by the trans. I have the DTE brace too but it wasn't in the way.

Installed the wiring myself along the drivers side rocker panel, behind seat then out the wheel well under the carpet. Removed the rear inner fender and drilled a small hole in the wheel well then ran the wire down to the cutouts. Hardest part is finding a hot wire when the ignition is on on these C6's. I ended up tapping the seat heater fuse as others here have done.

They are loud and DEEP when open at idle. I've actually heard louder exhaust though, I was kind of surprised they are not louder. I think it is because of the turn downs and the fact that I have cats and the pipes are pretty long before the cutouts. On the track they have a nice race car sound - I'd say like Borla Stingers plus 25%. When you open them at a stoplight you will turn heads, that's for sure.

Overall happy with the mod, it gives me quiet during my morning drive but loud when I'm at the track which is what I wanted.

Here is a video of idle with cutouts open and closed. The gain on the mike makes the closed sound much louder than it is, it's really quiet with factory mufflers even with my cam.

Here are some pics:

Old 09-18-2014, 09:23 PM
tripleblack05
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That magna flow system is ok until you put on headers then the drone will drive you crazy. It's horrible at 70 mph. I had it and had to get rid of it.

I went with cutouts. Loud or quiet, your choice. And unlike NPP or Z06 mufflers, the sound inside the car is great with the turndowns redirected to the ground. Super deep.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-on-my-c6.html

Joe_G, thank you for sharing this info....again. I too am looking for exhaust options. My 05 M6 had a corsa like system on it when I purchased the car, drone was so bad I installed a used factory system. I have considered cut outs because as you say you get the best of both worlds. These photos seal the deal for me.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:48 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by tripleblack05
Joe_G, thank you for sharing this info....again. I too am looking for exhaust options. My 05 M6 had a corsa like system on it when I purchased the car, drone was so bad I installed a used factory system. I have considered cut outs because as you say you get the best of both worlds. These photos seal the deal for me.
Check out the new wireless fob option. Easy install and very cool!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ontroller.html

One of my favorite mods nearly 8 years ago now was the installation of QTP electronic cutouts. With the cutouts I can run stock mufflers for daily driving, and then when I want to hit the track or car show, open them up and it's party time. I have turndowns after the cutouts so the sound is directed toward the ground which gives it a very deep bass sound that you can hear in the car.

QTP recently came out with a key fob electronic controller - I used to have to siting the car to operate the toggle switch, now, I can do it with the fob from outside the vehicle if I want. And the tiny unit is tucked up under the dash, cleaning up my interior a bit from the toggle that used to hang below the dash.

Here's the unit. Power, ground and it plugs into the control wire for the cutouts. Since you need power and ground for the existing toggle I had everything there...install took about 2 minutes.

Figured I'd take the opportunity to have my son shoot a video of the cutout operation. Last time I took my cutout demonstration vid there was no YouTube nor iPhone and he was 4.

But my QTP cutouts work just as well as the day I put them on. I have to commend them on their quality.

http://youtu.be/Q4TarirQfZY
Old 09-19-2014, 01:26 PM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Location: Birmingham, AL www.hinsonsupercars.com 205-909-9402
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kingman
I moved from the NE to Ga. So l will check out local shops.

Thanks for the great ireas
In noticed you were in GA and looking for some feedback on a great exhaust system. I personally love the Magnaflow catback system. It has a great smooth deep roar at lower RPM and when you hammer on the skinny pedal it wakes up and lets everyone know your on it. I feel that it is a perfect balance of something that sounds aggressive but can be driven daily without complaints. I'm located in Birmingham Alabama which is pretty close to you and I can make you a good deal on a Magnaflow system or any other parts you need. Most of them I even keep in stock. We also are a full service shop that offers installation and custom Dyno tuning on our Dynojet Dyno. Let me know how I can be a resource for you as we would love to help. Check our our online store for great savings on products and if you don't see something you need let me know I'm happy to help anyway we can.

www.hisnonmotorsports.com
Old 09-19-2014, 01:56 PM
0HinsonSuperCars
Former Vendor

Location: Birmingham, AL www.hinsonsupercars.com 205-909-9402
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Hi

I have a stock 2007 base vert that l would like to make a little louder without breaking the bank.

What options do l have? I would prefer to buy local (Ga.) and used if possible.

Thanks

Alan
Sent you a Great Deal on a Magnaflow System that even places like Summit cant touch. Let me know how I can be of a resource to you.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:53 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I would like to clarify my comment on Magnaflow - my comments were based on experience with the 14336 mufflers. The drone was unacceptable with headers and wasn't great even with manifolds.

I suspect a system designed for a Corvette from Magnaflow would not have these drone issues. I have read that they do not. The standalone mufflers happen to fit but were not designed for the Corvette.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:15 PM
A4ea
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Corsa Extreme is too extreme!!?,
Not at all, if anything not loud enough but almost perfect now. But the price- yes too extreme!

Last edited by A4ea; 09-19-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Default Cutouts !!

Hi

I like the idea of cut outs but who in Ga. can do it for me. Also l would like to be able to have a NPP like system
Old 09-20-2014, 10:24 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Hi

I like the idea of cut outs but who in Ga. can do it for me. Also l would like to be able to have a NPP like system
Print my pics and go to some muffler shops. Chain shops usually won't bother unless the manager is a Motörhead. We have some smaller muffler shops who will do these things.
Old 09-21-2014, 07:29 AM
Kingman99
Melting Slicks

Print my pics and go to some muffler shops. Chain shops usually won't bother unless the manager is a Motörhead. We have some smaller muffler shops who will do these things.
Great idea l will try

Thanks

Alan

Get notified of new replies

To Stock Exhaust too quiet

Quick Reply: Stock Exhaust too quiet