Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Some version of a Z06 as a collector?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 05:50 AM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Some version of a Z06 as a collector?

Not today of course but it seems the LS7 will be the end of the large displacement NA monstors. I wonder if somewhere down the road some year of the C6Z will become the next 67 427 to grace the floors of hard core collectors? It took quite a few years for the 67 to start increasing in value and then............it went mental. I had one. Got it and sold it while the prices were dropping with age. Now to buy that exact car back I'd have to make a deal with the devil. Now, to get top dollar for a 67 427 it has to be bone stock 100% original. I have noticed in my searching for a C6Z that it is becoming difficult to find a completely original un-modded one. They are there but it seems more modded ones then un-modded are on the market. In fact there is a 06 close to me that has been relisted on ebay more times then you can count. It has had as much money spent on it as it's original OEM price. The highest bid that I've seen on it falls short by 3-5K of the same mileage all original. So I'm curious what others feel about this end of the line monstor?
Old 11-21-2014, 07:23 AM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

maybe a carbon or centennial, but that's probably it. I dont think the ron fellows or cooksey (however you spell it) are fetching anything more.......As many have said before, buying a Z06 and storing it, hoping it will be worth more than the original price is not a good investment..........

Those 67's you are speaking of are true gems, I just dont see a mass produced car in todays market multiplying their price (unless its a ford gt).
Old 11-21-2014, 08:49 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,556 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

The possibility certainly exists that many years down the road the C6 Z06 will become collectible due to it's large displacement, naturally aspirated 427. It really hasn't happened with the C4's yet. The C4 ZR-1 is still depreciating as are all of the modern Corvettes.

Fortunately, I bought my older Corvettes when they were cheap and held on to them. My 06 Z06 us still a thrill to drive and I may hang on to it. The thrill of the drive is my reason to keep it, not any thought of it becoming collectible. The new Z06 looks very appealing. GM always has a way of making your car seem obsolete, but the 427 is special IMO.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I think the C6 Z06 will always be special because of the "427" engine, there is a reason Chevy came out with that engine displacement, and there have not been a lot built. I am too old to enjoy any benefit of the car becoming "collectable", it will take too many years. I am just enjoying owning and driving a really super sports car...it's all in your frame of reference.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Mine would be (Carbon Edition), but I've blown that plan by not leaving it stock (although I could put it back if necessary).

The greater point here is unless you are a 20 year old who is going to live long enough to buy this or any other car for an "investment".. Leave it in a glass case for 30 years to see what happens? What a waste..

I guess if you were a super rich 20 year old, you could buy up some first-run cars, put them in storage, but if you are a 20 year old with that kind of disposable income, wouldn't you have other priorities and interests?
Old 11-21-2014, 12:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

There is a huge difference between C2 and C3 427 production and the C6 Z06 production. There were multiple versions of the C2/C3 427 (390, 400, 435 and 430). Most of them were the two lower HP versions. The C6 version has only one HP rating and there were 28K of those built Vs far fewer of the C2/C3 high HP versions. Another factor is the percentage of C2s/C3s that survived the first two or three years of ownership without being crashed or having their original engines destroyed. Owners were much younger than they are now. Large numbers of young people could get jobs that allowed them to afford a high HP Vette if they wanted one. That meant the cars saw much harder usage and most were daily drivers. Even in the early 70s it was hard to find a big block Corvette with a 427 and even more rare to find one with an untouched original engine. Add 40 years to that and they become even more rare. My first BB was 3 years old when I purchased it and it had 26K miles on it. The engine had been torn apart twice and modded with some stupid mods which I had to correct. My 2nd BB was 4 years old when I purchased it with 40K miles. The engine had been blown and rebuilt and the BB aluminum heads had been traded to a racer to pay for the rebuild. Both cars were daily drivers that I used to get to work and were driven winter and summer just like any other car. They were high performance cars but they were still just cars and most people couldn't afford to have a car that was only a toy.

With the C6 most cars aren't driven by young kids looking to impress their friends and few are driven many miles or used hardc. They are weekend or garage queen cars which means many more will survive into old age thus limiting the collectability. To be collectible they have to be rare and they will not be all that rare.

Bill
Old 11-21-2014, 12:41 PM
rprice
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It may be 40-50 years from now but a bone stock C6Z in excellent condition just may be rare enough to be collectable. A lot of these cars are being modded and tracked. A lot.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:57 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

I seriously doubt it within our life times. Maybe with inflation they will be worth $50k in 50 years, but for now and the immediate future they are just going to drop and drop.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:15 PM
rprice
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

One thing is for sure. Mods do not increase the value to the average buyer as the OP points out.
Old 11-21-2014, 01:21 PM
Mjolitor 68
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 155 Posts

Definitely the carbon or roadster edition

Could take only 10 years

& re production #s yes older cars have much lower prod #s but the US Pop is also growing
Old 11-21-2014, 02:10 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

It is always hard to figure on what is going to be collectable.

I remember a few yeas ago about a story on the Impala SS cars and how, even though it was a neat car, would probably never be worth any thing like say a 1962 409 4spd car would be. Automatics, four doors, and nothing really special other than it was a cop car with black paint.

I agree with Bill in that pretty much all of the C6Z's were the same....only ones that had anything "special" to them were the Carbon Edition cars and even those parts could be ordered on later edition cars. Given the small production numbers of the Carbon cars and the last few years of Z06's you should bank on one of those if you want to collect it.

Now the bad part, be prepared to find a car with less than 100 miles on it, all the paper work, plastic seat covers, one owner....and for the next 15 years never drive it. AT ALL. Only way I see one going for stupid money would be to never put a single mile on the car which is the saddest thing about.

Pretty much all Corvette's will drop in value and then start their climb up again as the ones we saw as kids we want again....the whole reliving your childhood thing...so you need to wait until that 10-12 year old grows up to be CEO and wants to drop 8 figures on his childhood dream car that is still new in the box.

After using one as a daily driver.....find a solid car and enjoy it....drive it....like it was suppose to be.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:29 PM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

Received 505 Likes on 256 Posts

I would think the 427 Convertible would be the most likely collectable C6 due to the 1 year of production and only 2,552 built, and most will probably remain stock. However, I'm not holding my breath on waiting for the price to rise -- vettes are for driving.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:48 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Too-Fast
I think the C6 Z06 will always be special because of the "427" engine, there is a reason Chevy came out with that engine displacement, and there have not been a lot built. I am too old to enjoy any benefit of the car becoming "collectable", it will take too many years. I am just enjoying owning and driving a really super sports car...it's all in your frame of reference.
Could not have said it any better Mr Fast...

Get notified of new replies

To Some version of a Z06 as a collector?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Some version of a Z06 as a collector?