Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quality blindspot mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 11:26 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,192 Likes on 2,681 Posts

I have some quarter-round ones that fit and look good on the side-view mirrors of the C7.

They don't cover the same area as the full-rounds, but they swivel so are adjustable.

And yes, my mirrors are correctly adjusted.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:36 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mister Big
Because of the small size of the C7 mirrors, any insert is going to be too small to do you any good (unless you have the eyes of an 18-yr. old). Honda has the best solution with their LaneWatch cameras. Maybe you should look into the NavTool?
It's a small car, they work great even for my almost 60 year old eyes! The mirrors aren't that far away, even on the right side.

Personally, I don't want cameras or radar detection of the lanes next to me.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:17 AM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
It's a small car, they work great even for my almost 60 year old eyes! The mirrors aren't that far away, even on the right side.

Personally, I don't want cameras or radar detection of the lanes next to me.
Cool, can you tell me where you got them? You can PM me if they're not a forum sponsor. Thanks!
Old 05-29-2016, 07:30 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

When I went from the C6 to my C7, I had real concerns about blind spots. But after reading a thread on here about proper adjustment of the C7 mirrors, I am pretty confident in changing lanes. Proper adjustment works very well.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:42 AM
w0rM
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 154 Posts

The purpose of your side mirrors is to be able to see the "blind spots" of the car. If you have it adjusted to see anything else, you're doing it wrong. You shouldn't be able to see the sides of your car without leaning your head all way out to the threshold of your window.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:33 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,936 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Plus you can also turn your head slightly to double check all is clear.
Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Here's the fact: If you think you need blind spot mirrors on top of the side mirrors then no matter what you think, you don't have your side mirrors adjusted properly.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:20 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Cool, can you tell me where you got them? You can PM me if they're not a forum sponsor. Thanks!
I got mine at walmart. I think most auto parts stores carry these as well. There is nothing special about these except the chrome frame instead of black, which is more common to find.

One nice thing about these is that they show a sliver of the second lane over, which has helped avoid a "both cars move into the same space from opposite lanes" situation.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:26 AM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

One nice thing about these is that they show a sliver of the second lane over, which has helped avoid a "both cars move into the same space from opposite lanes" situation.
And this is the only reason I'm considering them. Since learning how to adjust the mirrors a few years back, I have no problems with blind spots for cars in the lane next to me.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:49 AM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by JerryU
This is a classic example of not having your mirrors adjusted correctly! You can see the side of the car in the lower right of the mirror.....if you need a spot mirror to see a car that is directly along side of you (as in the photo), you better turn in your keys.

Last edited by hisvett; 05-29-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:22 AM
motox621
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

if you ajust right and get used to it it works well have someone walk in the blind spots while you sitting in the driveway with you mirrors ajusted like this and see how much better it is WORKS FOR ME

The following users liked this post:
Twisted Swifter (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 11:39 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by motox621
if you ajust right and get used to it it works well have someone walk in the blind spots while you sitting in the driveway with you mirrors ajusted like this and see how much better it is WORKS FOR ME

Yes. If drivers would follow these instructions, no blind spots exist. I have been using this method for years now and once you get used to it...you'll be fine. Just give it a chance.

Last edited by joemessman; 05-29-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:48 AM
captjeff
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bsm

Originally Posted by AlexRD
I recently got a C7 Z06, which I love, but the blind spots (even with mirrors adjusted with what usually works well, aka none of your car in view) are pretty rough in the Corvette.

I also have a 2011 Mustang GT, and it has these mirrors by default - http://www.mustangheaven.com/blog/wp...9-1024x764.jpg

Is there an insert that I could get for the Corvette to have mirrors like this? Or a quality blind spot mirror from the aftermarket to plug on because the ones I've seen are all cheap and ugly...
Why does GM not offer Blind Spot Mirrors as an option?
Old 05-29-2016, 11:55 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,936 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Originally Posted by captjeff
As demonstrated and explained if you properly adjust your mirrors there are no blind spots.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:09 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,662 Likes on 6,657 Posts

Originally Posted by hisvett
This is a classic example of not having your mirrors adjusted correctly! You can see the side of the car in the lower right of the mirror.....if you need a spot mirror to see a car that is directly along side of you (as in the photo), you better turn in your keys.
Hard to get a camera view to match what I have. I don't even see what your referring to but if you lean your head on the widow you CAN NOT see my C7!! I believe you are misreading what you see in the pic as well. My car is red, you're looking at the house next door in the OEM mirror! The only part of my car visible is in my convex blind spot mirror! You can also see the rear of my '34 ProStreet Rod that is parked next to the Vette in my garage. (On my last visit to the optometrist, he said at my age he was amazed I was still correctable to 20 20 with only minor lens correction! Before I turn in my keys as you suggest, I think you're due for a vist! )

I have used that system in the graphic posted by several here since it was defined in a technical paper in SAE in ~1995! It is much more comprehensive than just seeing the car as it enters the "blind spot."

Read and understand the discussion on the right hand side of the graphic in post #30 and #31, it outlines some of what the paper defines. It's knowing where cars are all around you at all times. The text (which some don't appear to read) says you follow a car from the center mirror as it enters the "blind spot." That requires a wide view in the rear. Verts, for example, have a very narrow rear view with the top up. The C7 is worse that the C6 and many prior Vettes. I did not add them to my '88, '93, or '08 C6 because it was not needed.

In 50 years of driving I have never had an accident with an other car (looking for wood.) I attribute that to luck and being aware of all cars around an approaching me at all times (yep, I drive fairly aggressively and part of that is looking for patrol cars!! )

That means following, without loosing them from the center to side mirrors!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-29-2016 at 01:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Cberry2 (08-22-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 02:06 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

My wife's new acura on the LH mirror they bent the edge, about 1.5" or so, you can see the line they put on it. So just that portion of the mirror is convex, just like a blind spot mirror without the ugly stick-on look.

Be pretty cool if someone did aftermarket replacement mirror glass like that, unfortunately with heat and auto dimming probably wont happen except OEM. Thought it was an interesting solution, the acura has blind spot monitoring as well and it needs it with the huge rear pillar blind spots. Personally I have no problem with the C7 and blind spots but I seldom drive in heavy high speed traffic, plan my lane changes well in advance and the mirrors are adjusted way out.
Attached Images  
Old 05-29-2016, 02:20 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Because of the small size of the C7 mirrors, any insert is going to be too small to do you any good (unless you have the eyes of an 18-yr. old). Honda has the best solution with their LaneWatch cameras. Maybe you should look into the NavTool?

I understand the eye sight thing brother, but luckily I can still see the pass. side good enough. I know they are unsightly, but I bought two small ones from Wally World. They are better than nothing in my opinion. Not being super human, I need all the help I can get.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:37 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by captjeff
they do, just not on Corvettes.

GM does a lot of things that don't make sense, the Cruze has LDW and BSD (optional) but does not offer it on it's halo car, it seems to me that they need to do focus groups if they truly want to sell vehicles equipped with what people want. Imagine that, actually listening to and doing what people want.....

Get notified of new replies

To Quality blindspot mirrors?

Old 05-29-2016, 02:39 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I got mine at walmart. I think most auto parts stores carry these as well. There is nothing special about these except the chrome frame instead of black, which is more common to find.

Thanks Lisa, I'm going to hit my local Wallyworld to see if they carry that one. I like the shape of it a lot better than the round bs ones.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:55 PM
C5_LS1
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

EU mirrors are bigger (glass size 120mm x 180mm) and is partly convex like on the Acura so it should be an easy fix to replace if they are available in the US.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:05 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by C5_LS1

EU mirrors are bigger (glass size 120mm x 180mm) and is partly convex like on the Acura so it should be an easy fix to replace if they are available in the US.
Way more practical but the styling police will soon be here saying they look like SUV mirrors

Quick Reply: Quality blindspot mirrors?