C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NPP Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 03:44 AM
Theta
Tech Contributor

Received 219 Likes on 110 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

This doesn't help any of us, but there does seem to be an active PWM signal running to the NPP and the AFM actuators:

Name:  LNBnEdZ.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  158.0 KB
Old 05-27-2014, 07:38 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Mine just have 1-4 pins on the actuators. I tried all combo's!
Looks like it takes a pulse modulation to number 2. With 12v to 4
and ground to 1. By playing with it will turn but not with just 12v.
I can't believe we all missed this,as the symbol for square wave is evident on Sean's posted schematic in the other thread. I am pretty sure the signal being generated from the CCM to pin 2 of the NPP valve motors is PWM....it is and on off pulsing digital signal...it is a more efficient to control the position of the valve in the intended OEM application......I know you do not want to hear this but you are either going to have to get straight up valves that will close with voltage or try and have PWM circuit built so you can hit it with a + or- and output to the 2 valves a digital signal ( PWM)....sorry for the bad news.

Good luck I hope you can work thru this as many others I am sure would like to do this mod
Old 05-27-2014, 09:14 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Man I was hoping this got figured out to be an easy thing.. Now I just have a bad taste in my mouth as if someone went potty in my Cherios..
Old 05-27-2014, 10:18 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Its could be a stepper motor if it has a learn procedure, like an IAC motor. If its a stepper motor then it wont work without some kind of PWM.

If you look at the wiring diagram the front actuators have what appears to be feedback to the CCM (pin 3), its hard for the CCM to know where the motor is without some kind of feedback but it can figure position from where it stops on both limits by counting pusles.

I could easily build a PWM driver if its a stepper motor, if I ever pick up a NPP with the rear valves my main interest would be getting it to work with the CCm/factory setup. I'm sure in a year or so there will be a lot more NPP systems for sale and i may pick one up to play with.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:41 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Originally Posted by kp
Its could be a stepper motor if it has a learn procedure, like an IAC motor. If its a stepper motor then it wont work without some kind of PWM.

If you look at the wiring diagram the front actuators have what appears to be feedback to the CCM (pin 3), its hard for the CCM to know where the motor is without some kind of feedback but it can figure position from where it stops on both limits by counting pusles.

I could easily build a PWM driver if its a stepper motor, if I ever pick up a NPP with the rear valves my main interest would be getting it to work with the CCm/factory setup. I'm sure in a year or so there will be a lot more NPP systems for sale and i may pick one up to play with.
that would be the way to go.... But I believe the oem setup (hardware & software ) just isn't there if NPP was not ordered with car ....I would have thought otherwise,but I believe others have confirmed no harness by the NPP valves.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:06 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by vetehead
that would be the way to go.... But I believe the oem setup (hardware & software ) just isn't there if NPP was not ordered with car ....I would have thought otherwise,but I believe others have confirmed no harness by the NPP valves.
The CCM is there, and 12V is easy enough to get. Most likely the pin on the CCM conenctor isnt populated but I have pigtails that will work, then I can just hook a scopemeter to it and see if there is any activity with sound management on or off. I doubt it will be active since it appears if you unplug the rear actuators on a NPP car you will get a CEL, so I have read anyhow.

But I'm not going to go through all that until I have an NPP here to put on

The stepper motor makes sense but its not the fastest way to go, I'm not sure how long it takes for the rear valves to go from open to closed, I know the front AFM valves are pretty quick, thats why I just ASSumed they were pretty much on or off.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:01 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Originally Posted by kp
The CCM is there, and 12V is easy enough to get. Most likely the pin on the CCM conenctor isnt populated but I have pigtails that will work, then I can just hook a scopemeter to it and see if there is any activity with sound management on or off. I doubt it will be active since it appears if you unplug the rear actuators on a NPP car you will get a CEL, so I have read anyhow.

But I'm not going to go through all that until I have an NPP here to put on

The stepper motor makes sense but its not the fastest way to go, I'm not sure how long it takes for the rear valves to go from open to closed, I know the front AFM valves are pretty quick, thats why I just ASSumed they were pretty much on or off.
I have a m7 npp car so I can tell you there are various steps on the npp valve.. Track, tour, on,off, besides while in auto mode the valves vary real time with gear and rpm.... hope it works out for you when you get around to it
Old 05-27-2014, 12:16 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Man I was hoping this got figured out to be an easy thing.. Now I just have a bad taste in my mouth as if someone went potty in my Cherios..
Old 05-27-2014, 12:23 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

I have a m7 npp car so I can tell you there are various steps on the npp valve.. Track, tour, on,off, besides while in auto mode the valves vary real time with gear and rpm.... hope it works out for you when you get around to it
I would just think a stepper motor would be kind of slow, but I guess it really doesnt have to be super fast since its just controlling noise. The front AFM valves seem to be pretty quick but you get a 'burp' that lasts a second or so if you are right between V4 and V8 and the right amount of throttle.

I wouldnt mind getting my hands on an actuator to play with though, little too expensive to buy new just to experiment with
Old 05-27-2014, 12:29 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
I would just think a stepper motor would be kind of slow, but I guess it really doesnt have to be super fast since its just controlling noise. The front AFM valves seem to be pretty quick but you get a 'burp' that lasts a second or so if you are right between V4 and V8 and the right amount of throttle.

I wouldnt mind getting my hands on an actuator to play with though, little too expensive to buy new just to experiment with
It is slow when you can get it to turn. It is like touching the connection several times. It finally moves to the closed position.
No good to me this way!

I should send you one of my $310.00 motors as it is a paperweight right now!
Old 05-27-2014, 12:36 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Originally Posted by kp

I'm sure the valve for npp is similar to the one they are using for afm from what I can see....the one thing we know for sure is both are controlled via the CCM from PWM...
Old 05-27-2014, 01:31 PM
vetehead
Drifting

It is slow when you can get it to turn. It is like touching the connection several times. It finally moves to the closed position.
No good to me this way!

Before throwing in the towel....you have a lot invested already try one of these....it should work.

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-27-2014, 01:40 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

No good to me this way!

Just out of curiosity, onec you remove power or ground does it go back to the start position on its own?

I'll find an actuator eventually, I wouldnt want to burn up one of yours experimenting.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I'm sure the valve for npp is similar to the one they are using for afm from what I can see....the one thing we know for sure is both are controlled via the CCM from PWM...
I can confirm for you that the AFM and NPP are the same valves with the same pinout.

Starting to get fun in this thread with a bunch of EEs.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:21 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Originally Posted by Theta
I can confirm for you that the AFM and NPP are the same valves with the same pinout.

Starting to get fun in this thread with a bunch of EEs.

Take a look at the standalone PWM module....I believe that should be the ticket for a npp conversion for simple open and close via something like mild to wild
Old 05-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

I think you might have nailed it here. If so, this would work for both sides, as well. (non-NPP to NPP, and vice versa).

I might have to play with this for $11.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:45 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

The PWM control may work, but I think its a stepper arrangement and if thats the case its not pwm but just a certain number of pulses to reach a desired position. Only thing about that is it would have to reverse polarity to the motor to go the other way, but it may just remove the ground to reset the motor and start over since its spring loaded.

Hard to tell without actually having an actuator though

Get notified of new replies

To NPP Help!

Old 05-27-2014, 03:58 PM
vetehead
Drifting

Originally Posted by kp
The PWM control may work, but I think its a stepper arrangement and if thats the case its not pwm but just a certain number of pulses to reach a desired position. Only thing about that is it would have to reverse polarity to the motor to go the other way, but it may just remove the ground to reset the motor and start over since its spring loaded.

Hard to tell without actually having an actuator though
Click on link"read full product description"! The spec is there and clearly sez PWM pct duties ,voltage ranges as well as well as PWM frequency .
Edit re read...you mean the actuator it self...got it.
Pretty sure that covers it

Last edited by vetehead; 05-27-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:08 PM
kp
Melting Slicks

Click on link"read full product description"! The spec is there and clearly sez PWM pct duties ,voltage ranges as well as well as PWM frequency .

Pretty sure that covers it
It does.

But stepper motors use a set number of pulses to control them.

Most stepper motors take 200 pulses for one complete rotation, so if you need 180 degrees the controller sends out 100 pulses and stops or holds power until the next change is needed. Thats how they can work fairly accurately with no feedback.

It may work for a simple open/shut, only one way to find out.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Theta
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by kp
only one way to find out.
As with so many things. Mostly right before the magic smoke comes out.

Quick Reply: NPP Help!