C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Akrapovic worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 09:57 AM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben@WeaponX
Do you have any first hand knowledge of the system or you just thread sh!tting for fun?

The dyno above was just done 2 days ago, numbers don't lie but then again why believe that when you can read about it from arm chair QBs on the internet...
I'd believe a 3rd party dyno from someone who bought this sytem.
Not a vendor dyno that has a vested interest.

And unless the Corvette is a magical unicorn just like all other modern cars and motorcycles the ECU has to be re-calibrated to account for the new exhaust in order to realize any gains.
Furthermore the restrictions are really at the catalytic converters and until those are replace/removed there are no significant gains to be had.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:21 AM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by TennisFreak
I'd believe a 3rd party dyno from someone who bought this sytem.
Not a vendor dyno that has a vested interest.

And unless the Corvette is a magical unicorn just like all other modern cars and motorcycles the ECU has to be re-calibrated to account for the new exhaust in order to realize any gains.
Furthermore the restrictions are really at the catalytic converters and until those are replace/removed there are no significant gains to be had.
There is so much misinformation out there, let me help you. When a car is in open loop ie wide open throttle, it does not reference the 02 sensors, it goes off of the PE and VE table. Therefor just like an intake, a car will pick up power from less air restrictions. The Halltech intake on this car gained 40whp on top of the 23whp gain already done by the Akrapovic exhaust. The tune was not touched as the customer wants to keep his warranty. So either, all of the HP gains claimed by myself and every other vendor who has tested them is either making it up to sell parts... or engines can make more power with less air restriction.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:30 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

There is so much misinformation out there, let me help you. When a car is in open loop ie wide open throttle, it does not reference the 02 sensors, it goes off of the PE and VE table. Therefor just like an intake, a car will pick up power from less air restrictions. The Halltech intake on this car gained 40whp on top of the 23whp gain already done by the Akrapovic exhaust. The tune was not touched as the customer wants to keep his warranty. So either, all of the HP gains claimed by myself and every other vendor who has tested them is either making it up to sell parts... or engines can make more power with less air restriction.

So you are saying with an intake and exhaust the car gained a total of 63rwhp?

What was the mass flow before/after and the car went 6mph faster at the track?

There are tons of dyno games that are played, by everyone.

Your talking an almost 80hp gain at the crank. Sorry that is impossible to believe.

I'd rather know what the MAF was reading before the parts and after.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:47 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,382 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
You need to know the fuel trims as well as the maf reading and you need to know that with the car in MAF Only mode rather than hybrid as the VVE table will skew both.

Good luck with that.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:10 PM
TennisFreak
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 52 Posts

The major restriction on automobiles lie within the catalytic converters.
Does the Akrapovic eliminate one or both of them?

And yes any vendor claiming a 60+ rwhp gain from an intake and catback system with no tune (heck even with tune) is making numbers up.

My last platform I fell into this trap.
Very well known and high quality vendor was making claims of gains with their header (which even eliminated one of the two catalytic converters).
Lots of people drank the koolaid.
Then independent dynos were performed by customers after getting their parts.
NO ONE even came close to the claimed HP figures, even after getting custom tunes they still could not match it.

So yes, I am skeptical, very skeptical.
Akrapovic has no magic in their exhaust system. Its very high quality but nothing that makes it provide more HP than some other vendors.

If these figures were even close to true then vendors (like yourself) and/or Akrapovic would offer money back guarantees on the HP claims.
Even if you offered a money back guarantee on more conservative numbers of 17rwhp and 20rwt I would consider buying.

But we all know vendors and Akra wont do that, and some of us know why.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:21 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

So you are saying with an intake and exhaust the car gained a total of 63rwhp?

What was the mass flow before/after and the car went 6mph faster at the track?

There are tons of dyno games that are played, by everyone.

Your talking an almost 80hp gain at the crank. Sorry that is impossible to believe.

Siiiiiiiiiiiigh... I don't really car what you believe as I'm not much for bench racing. Have you had one on the dyno to show otherwise? There are probably a dozen threads on this forum with Halltech intakes showing 40-50whp untuned going through the stock exhaust. Is it so hard to believe that removal of the secondary cats with a better flowing exhaust would not lead to more power? Obviously it didn't go to the track the same day so don't be "that guy". The numbers are what they are and the dyno was done on the same day. Brand new Mustang ie loaded Eddy Current dyno, calibrated by Mustang last month. The numbers are what they are.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:24 PM
Ben@WeaponX
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '14

And yes any vendor claiming a 60+ rwhp gain from an intake and catback system with no tune (heck even with tune) is making numbers up.

Very well known and high quality vendor was making claims of gains with their header (which even eliminated one of the two catalytic converters).
NO ONE even came close to the claimed HP figures, even after getting custom tunes they still could not match it.

Akrapovic has no magic in their exhaust system. Its very high quality but nothing that makes it provide more HP than some other vendors.

If these figures were even close to true then vendors (like yourself) and/or Akrapovic would offer money back guarantees on the HP claims.
Even if you offered a money back guarantee on more conservative numbers of 17rwhp and 20rwt I would consider buying.

I'll give you a money back guarantee on your 17rwhp if you're doing the Evo. I didn't make this up and I really don't care to banter back and fourth. Hell, I told a guy that I've had Corsa, Billy Boat, and now the Akra on my own personal car and I'd put the sound and craftsmanship preference up against any of them with a money back guarantee within 7 days.

So now what?
Old 05-20-2016, 02:10 PM
0HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

I hope we can turn this into a conversation so we can address your concerns appropriately and fully.

I can understand your skepticism. The Akrapovič system for this car makes a considerable amount of power which is quite rare to find in just an exhaust system, but I can assure you that a manufacturer like Akrapovič does not and will not inflate dyno numbers/power gains just to sell product.

You mention that your last platform you fell into a trap, and I apologize that you had a particular set of circumstances where you were left burned. I'm sorry that you were left feeling like the lies of other manufacturers lead you to believe that you were expecting a huge power gain and you did not see that after you had the parts installed. After something like that I would be skeptical of every company as well and it doesn't mean your not justified in thinking that way, but I want to make sure that just because you were burned before, does not mean that every company in the aftermarket industry should be downplayed for trying to give honest data, or that the brand itself should be disqualified because you feel the gains are not achievable.

So to help alleviate some of your skepticism I have some info which you can use to compare against other exhaust manufacturers if you'd like or just for your own informational purposes (the point of which is to have a conversation about Akrapovič and to update you with honest information). The R&D team for example, where it all starts, has a total of 50 employee's, three of which have a PhD, 36 of them are engineers (The entire Akrapovič company itself has over 900 employee's just FYI). Testing is extremely important which is why for a large quantity of vehicles that Akrapovič makes a system for often go through a prototype phase where you could see several different generations of mufflers being used to accommodate the platform that they are developing it for. They do this to see which makes the most power, which makes the best noise and so forth. When the final prototype is developed the vehicle, Akrapovič will dyno the vehicle bone stock for 3 runs which then gets averaged, then after the exhaust is installed another 3 dyno runs which then again get averaged, then a comparison is made to get your power gains. I understand you're skeptical about that, but that's honestly how they conduct their business and how they get those power gains recorded properly and accurately. To lay out a time frame, Month 1+2 are typically R&D, Month 3,4 and 5 are for tooling and creating the jigs for optimization and production. Month 6 and 7 are usually for quality control and analyzing demand for the product itself.

If that doesn't help substantiate a bit more of how Akrapovič can produce a system that makes this kind of power, maybe the World Championships that Akrapovič has in MotoGP, WEC, DTM and other world championship series could potentially help.

Akrapovič participates in the following series with the following partners:
FIA WEC - Audi Sport and Aston Martin Racing
DTM - Audi Sport and BMW Motorsport
Cross Country Rally - X-raid Team

Racing achievements
2008 - Nürburgring 24h Race Winner (Team Manthey Racing)
2009 - Nürburgring 24h Race Winner (Team Manthey Racing)
2009 - German Porsche Sports Cup Winner (Team Akrapovič a-workx)
2010 - 24h Le Mans Race Winner (Audi Sport North America)
2011 - 24h Le Mans Race Winner (Audi Sport Team Joest)
2011 - Nürburgring 24h Race Winner (Team Manthey Racing)
2012 - FIA WEC Manufacturers World Champion (Audi)
2012 - DTM Drivers Champion (Bruno Spengler - BMW)
2012 - DTM Manufacturers Champion (BMW)
2012 - DTM Teams Champion (BMW Team Schnitzer)
2012 - 24h Le Mans Race Winner (Audi Sport Team Joest)
2012 - FIA WEC Drivers World Champions (Audi Sport Team Joest)
2013 - FIA WEC Drivers World Champions (Audi Sport Team Joest)
2013 - FIA WEC Manufacturers World Champion (Audi)
2013 - 24h Le Mans Race Winner (Audi Sport Team Joest)
2013 - DTM Drivers Champion (Mike Rockenfeller - Audi)
2013 - DTM Teams Champion (Audi Sport Team Phoenix)
2013 - DTM Manufacturers Champion (BMW)
2014 - DTM Teams Champion (BMW Team RMG)
2014 - DTM Manufacturers Champion (Audi)
2014 - DTM Drivers Champion (Marco Wittmann - BMW)
2014 - 24h Le Mans Race Winner (Audi Sport Team Joest)
2014 - Rally Dakar 2014 Winner (Monster Energy X-raid Team)
2015 - FIA Cross Country Rally World Cup Winners (X-raid Team)
2015 - DTM Manufacturers Champion (BMW)
2015 - Rally Dakar 2015 Winner (Qatar Rally Team)

I would love to be able to list for you all the Motorcycle achievements they have as well but with over 100 World Championships already, there's quite a lot to post, so I'll hold off. Point is, Akrapovič has already substantiated their power gains to manufactures like Audi, BMW, Porsche, and virtually every single Moto GP bike that's on the grid today which uses Akrapovič in racing applications. Again, I understand your skepticism, I know where you're coming from, but Akrapovič isn't an exhaust company that works out of a hole in the wall, it's not a small operation which is a fly by night business looking to make a quick buck. Akrapovič is a legitimate manufacturer not just for aftermarket applications as we're discussing here, but also World Championship winning vehicles and motorcycles because manufacturers who have extremely stringent requirements are using Akrapovič to make the most power and to ensure that they win that Championship.
The following 2 users liked this post by HRE_Jurrian:
TennisFreak (05-20-2016), thewb (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 05:31 PM
thewb
Supporting Vendor

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by HRE_Jurrian
I hope we can turn this into a conversation so we can address your concerns appropriately and fully.

I can understand your skepticism. The Akrapovič system for this car makes a considerable amount of power which is quite rare to find in just an exhaust system, but I can assure you that a manufacturer like Akrapovič does not and will not inflate dyno numbers/power gains just to sell product.

You mention that your last platform you fell into a trap, and I apologize that you had a particular set of circumstances where you were left burned. I'm sorry that you were left feeling like the lies of other manufacturers lead you to believe that you were expecting a huge power gain and you did not see that after you had the parts installed. After something like that I would be skeptical of every company as well and it doesn't mean your not justified in thinking that way, but I want to make sure that just because you were burned before, does not mean that every company in the aftermarket industry should be downplayed for trying to give honest data, or that the brand itself should be disqualified because you feel the gains are not achievable.

So to help alleviate some of your skepticism I have some info which you can use to compare against other exhaust manufacturers if you'd like or just for your own informational purposes (the point of which is to have a conversation about Akrapovič and to update you with honest information). The R&D team for example, where it all starts, has a total of 50 employee's, three of which have a PhD, 36 of them are engineers (The entire Akrapovič company itself has over 900 employee's just FYI). Testing is extremely important which is why for a large quantity of vehicles that Akrapovič makes a system for often go through a prototype phase where you could see several different generations of mufflers being used to accommodate the platform that they are developing it for. They do this to see which makes the most power, which makes the best noise and so forth. When the final prototype is developed the vehicle, Akrapovič will dyno the vehicle bone stock for 3 runs which then gets averaged, then after the exhaust is installed another 3 dyno runs which then again get averaged, then a comparison is made to get your power gains. I understand you're skeptical about that, but that's honestly how they conduct their business and how they get those power gains recorded properly and accurately. To lay out a time frame, Month 1+2 are typically R&D, Month 3,4 and 5 are for tooling and creating the jigs for optimization and production. Month 6 and 7 are usually for quality control and analyzing demand for the product itself.

If that doesn't help substantiate a bit more of how Akrapovič can produce a system that makes this kind of power, maybe the World Championships that Akrapovič has in MotoGP, WEC, DTM and other world championship series could potentially help.

Akrapovič participates in the following series with the following partners:
FIA WEC - Audi Sport and Aston Martin Racing
DTM - Audi Sport and BMW Motorsport
Cross Country Rally - X-raid Team

Racing achievements
2008 - Nürburgring 24h Race Winner (Team Manthey Racing)
2009 - Nürburgring 24h Race Winner (Team Manthey Racing)
2009 - German Porsche Sports Cup Winner (Team Akrapovič a-workx)
2010 - 24h Le Mans Race Winner (Audi Sport North America)
2011 - 24h Le Mans Race Winner (Audi Sport Team Joest)
2011 - Nürburgring 24h Race Winner (Team Manthey Racing)
2012 - FIA WEC Manufacturers World Champion (Audi)
2012 - DTM Drivers Champion (Bruno Spengler - BMW)
2012 - DTM Manufacturers Champion (BMW)
2012 - DTM Teams Champion (BMW Team Schnitzer)
2012 - 24h Le Mans Race Winner (Audi Sport Team Joest)
2012 - FIA WEC Drivers World Champions (Audi Sport Team Joest)
2013 - FIA WEC Drivers World Champions (Audi Sport Team Joest)
2013 - FIA WEC Manufacturers World Champion (Audi)
2013 - 24h Le Mans Race Winner (Audi Sport Team Joest)
2013 - DTM Drivers Champion (Mike Rockenfeller - Audi)
2013 - DTM Teams Champion (Audi Sport Team Phoenix)
2013 - DTM Manufacturers Champion (BMW)
2014 - DTM Teams Champion (BMW Team RMG)
2014 - DTM Manufacturers Champion (Audi)
2014 - DTM Drivers Champion (Marco Wittmann - BMW)
2014 - 24h Le Mans Race Winner (Audi Sport Team Joest)
2014 - Rally Dakar 2014 Winner (Monster Energy X-raid Team)
2015 - FIA Cross Country Rally World Cup Winners (X-raid Team)
2015 - DTM Manufacturers Champion (BMW)
2015 - Rally Dakar 2015 Winner (Qatar Rally Team)

I would love to be able to list for you all the Motorcycle achievements they have as well but with over 100 World Championships already, there's quite a lot to post, so I'll hold off. Point is, Akrapovič has already substantiated their power gains to manufactures like Audi, BMW, Porsche, and virtually every single Moto GP bike that's on the grid today which uses Akrapovič in racing applications. Again, I understand your skepticism, I know where you're coming from, but Akrapovič isn't an exhaust company that works out of a hole in the wall, it's not a small operation which is a fly by night business looking to make a quick buck. Akrapovič is a legitimate manufacturer not just for aftermarket applications as we're discussing here, but also World Championship winning vehicles and motorcycles because manufacturers who have extremely stringent requirements are using Akrapovič to make the most power and to ensure that they win that Championship.
One of the most informative posts I have seen on these forums in quite some time. Thank you Jurrian for eloquently shedding more light on the entire process for potential customers - It's much appreciated and I will be directing all of my clients interested in the premium Akra system right to this page.
The following 2 users liked this post by thewb:
Ben@WeaponX (05-20-2016), Fitz89 (05-25-2016)
Old 05-20-2016, 08:27 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by NinjamanZ51
Of course the vendors will sell the product because they profit from it.

What the hell kind of statement is that???

Congrats, you've cracked the code of how vendors stay in business.....they buy things, Mark them up and sell them, the difference between the two numbers is called profit.

you must have an advanced business degree....

Buying a system like this is like buying:

Hublot, Panerai, Patek Phillipe watches
Louis Vuitton products
MWE Hardware

Sometimes it's not about the benefits or better performance. It's about having things most people just can't afford...

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-21-2016 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 05-20-2016, 11:00 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

4500 for an exhaust? For what? Sound and maybe a few HP? Throw another grand in and you can easily add an additional 150 HP.

To each his own. I guess anyone willing to pay 5K for a custom VIN would see 4500 for an exhaust cheap.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:57 PM
NinjamanZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 102 Posts
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

You can tweak a dyno to represent whatever you want. Yes I've compared all of the systems on the market and the Akra offers the least bang for the buck. Quit fighting a losing battle lol.

Do you have any first hand knowledge of the system or you just thread sh!tting for fun?

The dyno above was just done 2 days ago, numbers don't lie but then again why believe that when you can read about it from arm chair QBs on the internet...
Lmao! You're obviously not getting it and if you think the Akra system is a good bang for the buck then you're obviously *not* a business person. Wtf is up with you anyway? Did I offend you? Stfu then.

Originally Posted by Z06 1of38
What the hell kind of statement is that???

Congrats, you've cracked the code of how vendors stay in business.....they buy things, Mark them up and sell them, the difference between the two numbers is called profit.

you must have an advanced business degree....

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 05-21-2016 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner of each post (middle icon).
Old 05-21-2016, 12:11 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Ninjaman, the good life is not measured by "bang for the buck."

Akrapovic is not a brand intended for the middle class so I understand why you are against them.

There are many goods and services priced at a premium that do not necessarily reflect their cost to produce or benefit received by an end user and they sell every single one anyways.

Go buy a flowmaster muffler and have you local exhaust shop weld it in and be happy with your new noise on the cheap.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:22 AM
NinjamanZ51
Burning Brakes

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Hey, I'm just making a point that the Akra system is over priced. My Corsa Extreme system is comparable and sounds better. For $4500, it is more cost effective to look into a centrifugal supercharger system versus an exhaust system with limited benefits. You of all people should see that.

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Ninjaman, the good life is not measured by "bang for the buck."

Akrapovic is not a brand intended for the middle class so I understand why you are against them.

There are many goods and services priced at a premium that do not necessarily reflect their cost to produce or benefit received by an end user and they sell every single one anyways.

Go buy a flowmaster muffler and have you local exhaust shop weld it in and be happy with your new noise on the cheap.

Last edited by NinjamanZ51; 05-21-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:38 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by NinjamanZ51
Hey, I'm just making a point that the Akra system is over priced. My Corsa Extreme system is comparable and sounds better. For $4500, it is more cost effective to look into a centrifugal supercharger system versus an exhaust system with limited benefits. You of all people should see that.
You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and so are everyone who sees value in this Akra system. Live and let live, so to speak. Let people be excited and people will let you enjoy your life also.

It's not all about one or the other. There is a market for both, don't resist the inevitable, it's like punching brick walls. You only hurt yourself. People will buy and love the Akra and the Corsa and there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:57 AM
NinjamanZ51
Burning Brakes

2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Live and let live is definitely a great life philosophy. Anyway, I think we have seen the general consensus related to the thread topic so it's all good! Have a good night, man.

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
You are absolutely entitled to your opinion and so are everyone who sees value in this Akra system. Live and let live, so to speak. Let people be excited and people will let you enjoy your life also.

It's not all about one or the other. There is a market for both, don't resist the inevitable, it's like punching brick walls. You only hurt yourself. People will buy and love the Akra and the Corsa and there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:33 AM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I thought about my above post. While the extra $$ for the Akra is not something I would see the value in, I do see how others would easily see the value. I put more money into the sound system in my previous C6 then I spent on my first new car. People thought I was nuts but to me, it was worth every penny. If you buy the Akra then it was worth the $$ to you and that is all that matters.

The Akra is a high quality system that sounds amazing and is built with the highest quality parts.
The following users liked this post:
Ben@WeaponX (05-21-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Is Akrapovic worth it?

Old 05-21-2016, 07:59 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Siiiiiiiiiiiigh... I don't really car what you believe as I'm not much for bench racing. Have you had one on the dyno to show otherwise? There are probably a dozen threads on this forum with Halltech intakes showing 40-50whp untuned going through the stock exhaust. Is it so hard to believe that removal of the secondary cats with a better flowing exhaust would not lead to more power? Obviously it didn't go to the track the same day so don't be "that guy". The numbers are what they are and the dyno was done on the same day. Brand new Mustang ie loaded Eddy Current dyno, calibrated by Mustang last month. The numbers are what they are.

But this is not about Halltech's intake. I read the whole Katech thread and lots of good information but they were talking about Z06's, not NA C7's. Bringing that into the discussion doesn't do anything for your argument.

The question was is it worth it. If your buying it to have the prettiest, shiniest, best looking, best made exhaust and that's what you find value in, then to you yes it might be.

For any other reason spending $4,500-$6,000 elsewhere will get you a lot more and there is absolutely no value in it.

To Higg's point about the type of customer, at these price points you'd find most buyers in a different price point of a car entirely.

I don't think any of the Chevy V8's, LS1 or LT1 sound all that great, and no cat back I've seen has fixed that.

Last edited by NoOne; 05-21-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:54 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I'd be curious if a corsa would show similar hp gains?
Old 05-21-2016, 10:07 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

To Higg's point about the type of customer, at these price points you'd find most buyers in a different price point of a car entirely.

I don't think any of the Chevy V8's, LS1 or LT1 sound all that great, and no cat back I've seen has fixed that.
There are plenty of people that own a corvette in addition to ferraris, Mercedes, Porsches, and other exotics, the corvette is one of 10 or 80 cars. I had to sell my dog to afford my Z06 but I'm poor.

And I would agree that Chevy doesn't have the best sounding firing order. Fords old 302 still sounds best to me, their new firing order of the coyote isn't super awesome either.

Quick Reply: Is Akrapovic worth it?