Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will auto radiator work for oil cooler? help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:34 AM
97coupechuck
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default will auto radiator work for oil cooler? help!

Running 383 in C5 for track days and NCCC autocrosses and last race oil runs hot (295), lost oil pressure, accusump apparently didn't work as the motor spun crank bearing. new everything and now buttoning up and looking at existing oil cooler, it's small, mounted in front of radiator. Going to get biggest that will fit, then I had a brain fart, what's wrong with using a new radiator for an automatic and use the tranny cooler for the engine oil? Sounds to simple, what am I missing? After spending more $ again I'm a little shy of popping for a Ron Davis racing radiator right now. Any ideas will help. chuck
Old 01-02-2008, 07:39 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The automatic trans needs its own cooler. If you do lots of HPDEs that trans cooler may not be enough.

There are a few radiators that have a trans cooler on one side and the oil cooler on the other side with the raditor in the middle. Not sure how will this combo works, but it would seem to be too small for any one of those three.

I.E. the need for the separate oil cooler.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:49 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The heat exchanger in the A4 radiator is pretty small. It would be ok as a supplemental cooler, but not enough on it's own.

Also, once you send that heat into the rad, it may not have enough capacity to support the engine if it is much hotter/larger than stock.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Get the Dewitts Radiator with Oil Cooler.

I changed my stock setup for this and oil and coolant temps are always within reason.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:51 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

One major problem with using the tranny cooler on the radiator is the line size. For oil you should use a size 10 line, the tranny cooler is only something like a 5/16 line.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:46 PM
HORNDAWG
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would use caution in which rad. w/cooler you choose, if you choose to go that route! Most standard radiators w/ trans. coolers are designed with the oil cooler in the tank(at cross tube header) and is subject to the heat of the engine coolant which in most cases runs pretty warm for engine oil. It truly works best if it is a seperate system. You can get radiators with oil coolers as part of it but a completely different circuit or a stand alone cooler to avoid this.

L.P.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by 97coupechuck
Running 383 in C5 for track days and NCCC autocrosses and last race oil runs hot (295), lost oil pressure, accusump apparently didn't work as the motor spun crank bearing. new everything and now buttoning up and looking at existing oil cooler, it's small, mounted in front of radiator. Going to get biggest that will fit, then I had a brain fart, what's wrong with using a new radiator for an automatic and use the tranny cooler for the engine oil? Sounds to simple, what am I missing? After spending more $ again I'm a little shy of popping for a Ron Davis racing radiator right now. Any ideas will help. chuck
I installed the DRM Ron Davis radiator with built in EOC and remote filter in my 97 back in 2001. Oil temps went from 295-300 to 230 while coolant temps dropped from 230 to 200. This continued when I put the same unit in my 03Z. The biggest problem I had was getting high enough oil temps when the ambient air was down in the 40s or lower. In the winter time when I took the cars for a drive my coolant temp never went over 190 and the oil temp wouldn't go above 150 unless I drove them in third gear at 70 mph for about 8 miles or just let them idle. I solved that by intalling a thermostatic bypass valve but then my overall temps increased to 220 coolant and 265 oil (on hot days). The bypass works by sending 15% or 85% of the oil through the cooler depending on oil temp so the oil doesn't get cooled as much which may relate to the higher coolant temp.

Bill
Old 01-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Webz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97coupechuck
......looking at existing oil cooler, it's small, mounted in front of radiator. Going to get biggest that will fit...... Any ideas will help. chuck
I'm not sure if this will work on a C5 but I am replacing the oil cooler on my C6 Coupe with one off of a C6Z06. It isn't "the best" solution but appears to be a good cost effective upgrade for me. If interested I believe Katech has some slightly used ones (cost less than 1/3 of new parts). Here's a thread from earlier this year on the topic.

Good luck,

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=oil+cooler

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1746178
Old 01-02-2008, 11:27 PM
ibjamin
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked Be-Cool about using the tranny cooler in their radiator as an oil cooler and they said no. It isn't designed for the line pressures that the engine oil is at.

George

Get notified of new replies

To will auto radiator work for oil cooler? help!

Quick Reply: will auto radiator work for oil cooler? help!