Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pir

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:21 AM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pir

Ran Phoenix International Raceway with NASA last Saturday. It was my first time there and first time running with NASA and I had a blast.

The track keeps you on your toes (lots of walls and tight turns) and the Arizona crowd is a fast bunch. Lots of high horsepower and turbo'ed cars having fun. People pulling me on the straight aways is nothing new to me, but these guys were really laying down the power.

I only ran 3 sessions since I had a 6 hour tow ahead of me, but had fun chasing some of these high HP cars around.

I need more HP!

My rough stop watch on this video shows it as a 1:12 and change. The local guys in the ST2 class were fast, the race winner had a fast lap of 1:07. Of course I've got quite a bit of weight to toss out of the car or horsepower to add to max out the HP/Weight ratio so it's apples to oranges at this point.

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showru...568&perclass=1

They had 31 cars in the race group!
Old 01-14-2009, 02:15 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to see you out there. I was there too in TTS; it was a nice weekend! Ran 1:09.4 in a street C5 Z 06. Yes, ACR (Az Corvette Racers) are some of the fastest guys in the nation! I'm proud to belong to this group of hardcore racers.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:07 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 96solo
nice to see you out there. I was there too in tts; it was a nice weekend! Ran 1:09.4 in a street c5 z 06. Yes, acr (az corvette racers) are some of the fastest guys in the nation! I'm proud to belong to this group of hardcore racers.
showoff!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:36 PM
az55
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Arizona Corvette Racers Rock!

It's good to see Arizona checking in on the forum. It's a great bunch of very fast guys. I was happy to run a 1:05.9 in TTU on Saturday at PIR. But my friend Darrell Rayburn has run a 1:03.2. in his daily driver. !!!!!!!! Now that's FAST.

Cheers,
CV
Old 01-15-2009, 05:49 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Cool video, Thanks
Old 01-15-2009, 05:51 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by az55
It's good to see Arizona checking in on the forum. It's a great bunch of very fast guys. I was happy to run a 1:05.9 in TTU on Saturday at PIR. But my friend Darrell Rayburn has run a 1:03.2. in his daily driver. !!!!!!!! Now that's FAST.

Cheers,
CV
WOW!!!!!

That makes the Nascar drivers look like little old lady slowpokes!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:45 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Darrel will tell you that the car was rarely driven on the street, and had a K-tech motor plus many Pfadt suspension parts and premium brakes systems. Even a that, he's a fast driver!
Old 01-16-2009, 01:47 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by az55

Cheers,
CV
Congrats on breaking into the 1:05's, CV! A hell of a drive!
Old 01-16-2009, 09:57 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Good on you! I plan on going to PIR for my first time at the end of the month. I've been running with Proautosports for the past couple of years diligently bringing my car and my own driving skills up to speed. I still have a few things to do to my car but it should be good to go as is. I have several friends in the ACR's so I'm looking forward to joining and stepping it up a notch. It should be fun!
Old 01-18-2009, 12:10 AM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm proud to belong to this group of hardcore racers.

Yes hardcore is right. The cars sound like the have NASCAR engines, pull 5-10 car lengths on the straight away, and then they say "It's my daily driver".

I'll definitely be back.

Matt
Old 01-18-2009, 03:10 AM
ProgGod
Drifting

Darrel will tell you that the car was rarely driven on the street, and had a K-tech motor plus many Pfadt suspension parts and premium brakes systems. Even a that, he's a fast driver!
Actually he runs on a half blown shock, and stock leaf springs. He does run the pfadt spherical bushing, but thats b/c he kept blowing the poly's out. His katech motor is only putting around 530hp to the wheels. Defintely runs 14" brembos though. He is just FAST, his parts are mostly aimed at keeping his car in one piece
Old 01-18-2009, 12:13 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ProgGod
Actually he runs on a half blown shock, and stock leaf springs. He does run the pfadt spherical bushing, but thats b/c he kept blowing the poly's out. His katech motor is only putting around 530hp to the wheels. Defintely runs 14" brembos though. He is just FAST, his parts are mostly aimed at keeping his car in one piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96solo View Post
ProgGod is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

i think you may be talking about the other Darrell that runs a C6 Z06. And yes he is one quick guy!
Old 01-18-2009, 12:32 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by rustyguns
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96solo View Post
ProgGod is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

i think you may be talking about the other Darrell that runs a C6 Z06. And yes he is one quick guy!
Oh and his michelins help for sure
Old 01-18-2009, 08:07 PM
az55
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Come on up!

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Good on you! I plan on going to PIR for my first time at the end of the month. I've been running with Proautosports for the past couple of years diligently bringing my car and my own driving skills up to speed. I still have a few things to do to my car but it should be good to go as is. I have several friends in the ACR's so I'm looking forward to joining and stepping it up a notch. It should be fun!
Wayne, we would enjoy having you. It's a great group to learn in. On track it's super competitive. Off track they are the most helpful group you can imagine. They share track info and driving hints pretty freely and are always willing to help when someone has car issues. We run again on the 31st. After that it's February 13-15 at Firebird East. Come on up.

CV
Old 01-18-2009, 09:02 PM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MJM
Yes hardcore is right. The cars sound like the have NASCAR engines, pull 5-10 car lengths on the straight away, and then they say "It's my daily driver".

I'll definitely be back.

Matt
Welcome Matt! You would be surprised how many pilots are in ACR. 1 F-18 Hornet pilot too.

This a great group of guys, but very fast and competitive too.

Darrell

2008 Az Region NASA TTS Champion
2008 ACR C-5 Modified Champion

Get notified of new replies

To Pir

Quick Reply: Pir