Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to pay

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Default What to pay

Assuming I went to a shop that had the abilty to corner weight my 04Z and I supplied the Pfadt coil overs, sways, and a bushing kit what should I expect to pay for labor to install and set up my suspension.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:46 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your talking physical installation of 4 coil-over's, the removal of stock suspension (leafs), cornerweight/balance/ride height adjust, as well as an 4 wheel allignment.

I would say around $1000

$550 coil-over install and removal of stock leafs
$450 for a GOOD cornerweight and 4 wheel allignment

You may find a shop that is cheaper and some that are more expensive. I would be wary of any shop that charges a lot less than this and get a competent job. Best bet is to take it to a well known shop on the forum, Phoenix.

Problem with the install is your not just replacing a strut with a coil-over (like for like). You need to remove the leaf, so that may add an hour to the job.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:34 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phenix Performance is the shop for this job. They do this kind of work all the time for the SCCA T-1 racers.

You will ALSO need adjustable end links for the sway bar, which Phoenix can provide.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 01-21-2009, 04:15 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I need to start charging more!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:41 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave concrete
Assuming I went to a shop that had the abilty to corner weight my 04Z and I supplied the Pfadt coil overs, sways, and a bushing kit what should I expect to pay for labor to install and set up my suspension.
You mean a poly bushing kit for the A-arms? I was quoted 10 hours of labor for such a job. The parts were cheap with respect to the labor to install.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:56 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MySR71
You mean a poly bushing kit for the A-arms? I was quoted 10 hours of labor for such a job. The parts were cheap with respect to the labor to install.
Good catch! I missed the bushing portion. That would be in addition to the cost I laid out and the 10 hour estimate seems right. Installing new bushings all the way around is a LOT of work...
Old 01-21-2009, 06:45 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I would say $1000 to $1250 for installing the bushings and coil overs then setting the ride height and cross weighting. It's some good $$$ but you will love your car afterward, I have at least 3 customers running that set-up and they are all very happy with there cars.
It usually takes me around 15 hrs to get it all done morning to do the front end, afternoon to do the back end and the next morning to get everything straitened out.

Last edited by 96CollectorSport; 01-21-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks for your help.I want to start running the car on some road coarses so all the info I can get is helpful. I have a funny feeling I'm jumping into this with two feet in the water too fast as opposed to starting out slowly but that just isn't my style so I figure the set up I came up with should stick me like glue in-addition to some Hoosiers.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:17 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave concrete
I have a funny feeling I'm jumping into this with two feet in the water too fast as opposed to starting out slowly but that just isn't my style so I figure the set up I came up with should stick me like glue in-addition to some Hoosiers.
The best improvement you will make to your cars performance is the driver. Drive your first years events stock to learn the car and it's limits. After that, if you can drive the car at 8-9 tenths of its capabilities then think about mods. Sticky tires can hide a bunch of driver error or sloppyness. Seat time !! Seat Time - Seat TIme !
Old 01-25-2009, 09:30 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
The best improvement you will make to your cars performance is the driver. Drive your first years events stock to learn the car and it's limits. After that, if you can drive the car at 8-9 tenths of its capabilities then think about mods. Sticky tires can hide a bunch of driver error or sloppyness. Seat time !! Seat Time - Seat TIme !
I agree and it will be a couple of years before you can out drive what the car will give you right out of the bag.

After you've run 15-20 track days then get some rubber and brakes and you will be good for another 20 days or more.

A waster of money right now.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:57 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
While I totally agree with this I've found some people can't concentrate on the driving until they've modded the car to their need level. I think they want to work on the driver in a real race car, not a street car...but don't realize the car they have is a real race car.

Maybe if they took the attitude that they are starting out competing in a "street-tire stock class", and the only thing the rules allow are alignment changes, they wouldn't spend so much money modding their cars for classes that don't exist in the real world.

They're too competitive and can't stand being passed by anyone. Remember, you can outrun anything but your money and you don't have enough money to outrun everyone. Even the F1 car owners know it's the drivers that make the cars faster, that's why they don't drive them themselves...lol.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:09 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

for a new car owner the car mods are sexy and exciting, Driver mods are not.

But when the driver gets 3, 4, 5 events under his tires, then he thinks much differently.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:56 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
David...don't say that!
Old 01-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
David, close your eyes when these outrageous prices are mentioned.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:41 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
for a new car owner the car mods are sexy and exciting, Driver mods are not.

But when the driver gets 3, 4, 5 events under his tires, then he thinks much differently.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Get notified of new replies

To What to pay

Quick Reply: What to pay