Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High speed vibration at the track

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default High speed vibration at the track

I participated in a HPDE on the Roval at California speedway yesterday. I was experiencing a vibration at speeds over 135. For most of the day I thought that it was being caused by the high (30 - 40MPH) cross winds coming down the front straight into NASCAR turn 1. But, late int he day the winds finally quit....and I was still having the vibration. I looked at the tires and brakes, and checked for bearing play between sessions and everything seemed fine. I have not had a chance to dig into the car yet...Any suggestions?

To help with the diagnosis...My car is a stock '08 Z-51 convertible with Z06 body panels, wheels, and tires. Also I have a new set of Nitto Nt-05's on the front, and new DBA 4000 rotors. They have been on the car for about a week with no issues.

Thanks for the help,
Charley
Old 05-30-2010, 01:21 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your wheel weights, or for a bent rim? An out of balance wheel might not tell you at low speed, but when you get up there, you might notice.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

If it comes and goes with the brake pedal, it's a cracked rotor. If not, it's probably slag on the tires or a missing wheel weight. The faster you go, the more you'll notice odd little things shaking and wonder if they are important as you approach that 150-30mph brake zone.

Happy thoughts.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:49 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Hi Charlie:

Can you feel it through the steering wheel like it is coming from the front wheels or is it the rear?

For me, in order of what I think it would most likely be:
  1. Bent wheel, take them off and throw them on a balancer to see if they are bent. An alternative is to try and spin them on the car, but they usually bend more on the inside then the outside.
  2. It could be wheel weights...
  3. Re-check those hubs. It can be more than just a bearing. I have cracked hubs around the flange where it connects to the center of the hub.
  4. Cracked rotors, but those normally only feedback under braking. Sometimes you can feel them while just driving, too. ACS is a rotor cracking track.
  5. Check your end links and make sure they are all tight.
  6. Cording a tire. A corded patch will provide some feedback, but mainly while turning.
  7. Torque tube or cracked clutch problems...? Does it feel like it is coming from the drive train?
  8. Harmonic balancer on the front of the engine?

Oli
Old 05-30-2010, 02:16 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Along with looking for missing wheel weights, check if there's a big track turd stuck somewhere on the rim throwing it out of balance. Check the cheap stuff first. :-)
Old 05-30-2010, 03:08 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Yup track turds will do it.

Lost wheel weights
stone or grit in the brake pad

alignment

cars rake
Old 05-30-2010, 06:45 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

At roebling I had a vibration my first session on the out lap. As we picked up speed it got worse, Took pit road and back to the paddock.

Nothing broke, nothing bent, a whole mess of track turds though. Cleaned them up - next session back to normal.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:02 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
alignment

cars rake
How would these two cause a 135+mph vibration? versus instability?
Old 05-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
Hi Charlie:

Can you feel it through the steering wheel like it is coming from the front wheels or is it the rear?

For me, in order of what I think it would most likely be:
  1. Bent wheel, take them off and throw them on a balancer to see if they are bent. An alternative is to try and spin them on the car, but they usually bend more on the inside then the outside.
  2. It could be wheel weights...
  3. Re-check those hubs. It can be more than just a bearing. I have cracked hubs around the flange where it connects to the center of the hub.
  4. Cracked rotors, but those normally only feedback under braking. Sometimes you can feel them while just driving, too. ACS is a rotor cracking track.
  5. Check your end links and make sure they are all tight.
  6. Cording a tire. A corded patch will provide some feedback, but mainly while turning.
  7. Torque tube or cracked clutch problems...? Does it feel like it is coming from the drive train?
  8. Harmonic balancer on the front of the engine?

Oli
The vibration is coming through the steering wheel...so, it must be the front. In this picture you can definitely see that i picked up more then my share of tire turds....But, This still doesn't seem like enough to cause this much of a problem. I put my daily driving wheels/tires back on but have not driven it yet. I checked the suspension and everything looked alright. The one thing that was a little odd was that with one front tire jacked up I could move the tire a little bit when I rocked it side to side...but, not up and down. I don't know it this is normal...but I assume that it isn't. On Tuesday I will bring the wheels to the shop and check them for balance. I didn't go off the track, so I doubt the are bent...but, I will have that checked also.

Thanks for all of the help.

Charley

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 05-30-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:54 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
If it comes and goes with the brake pedal, it's a cracked rotor. If not, it's probably slag on the tires or a missing wheel weight. The faster you go, the more you'll notice odd little things shaking and wonder if they are important as you approach that 150-30mph brake zone.

Happy thoughts.
If you don't already it's a good idea to tape your wheel weights down with silver metallic (foil) HVAC tape. Take a small hammer and tap the sharp edges of the weights down a bit then apply enough tape to help keep the weights in-place.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:43 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
The vibration is coming through the steering wheel...so, it must be the front.

I should have had on that list two other important things to check that could cause this problem:
  1. Loose lug nuts, especially on the front
  2. A cracked wheel spoke

Hmmm... How do I know all these things....? :o

Old 05-31-2010, 06:46 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
How would these two cause a 135+mph vibration? versus instability?
unequal toe on the front wheels.

I use HVAC aluminum duct tape over the stick on wheel wts
Old 05-31-2010, 07:12 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I could move the tire a little bit when I rocked it side to side...but, not up and down.
tie-rod
Old 05-31-2010, 08:07 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
tie-rod
this.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:41 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vibration is coming through the steering wheel...so, it must be the front. In this picture you can definitely see that i picked up more then my share of tire turds....But, This still doesn't seem like enough to cause this much of a problem.
Charley

I disagree. That definitely IS enough tire turds to cause a high speed vibration.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:44 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
I disagree. That definitely IS enough tire turds to cause a high speed vibration.
Also looks like there's adhesive where wheel weight *used* to be.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:54 PM
mdk
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

this happened to me last year, worn wheel bearing is what was causing my high speed vibration.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:59 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How about the front tires rotating on the wheels so that they are no longer in balance? Happens to me all the time.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:05 PM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The one thing that was a little odd was that with one front tire jacked up I could move the tire a little bit when I rocked it side to side...but, not up and down. I don't know it this is normal...but I assume that it isn't.
If you are grabbing the wheel at 3 and 9 and it is has movement, then it is likely tie rods.

Get notified of new replies

To High speed vibration at the track

Quick Reply: High speed vibration at the track