Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Anyone running Cranes new sportsman shaft-mount rocker arms?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 10:39 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone running Cranes new sportsman shaft-mount rocker arms (no needle bearings)?

Just a topic for discussion. Not sure how long these have been out.....I just noticed it on their website the other day.
http://www.cranecams.com/whatsnew/shaftmount.htm

Mark

[Modified by 81vette, 10:38 PM 10/9/2003]
Old 10-10-2003, 01:10 AM
Mr6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Anyone running Cranes new sportsman shaft-mount rocker arms (no needle bearings)? (81vette)

If the rocker bodies were stainless steel, or chrome moly steel; they would be great. Being aluminum, they will probably fatigue fail if used on the street with any kind of mileage put on them a (unless you are using relatively light valve spring pressures).
Old 10-10-2003, 03:14 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Default Re: Anyone running Cranes new sportsman shaft-mount rocker arms (no needle bearings)? (81vette)

How much are they? They sound like a great deal to me.

If you add the cost of RR's & screw in studs and guide plates. They might not cost all that much more.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:19 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Anyone running Cranes new sportsman shaft-mount rocker arms (gkull)

Hi George,

Summit shows them at $795. About 2x the cost of the gold race units I have, but I guess that's what new technology cost. Seems like a good idea to be able eliminate the needle bearings.

Mark
Old 10-10-2003, 04:49 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,339 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Default Re: Anyone running Cranes new sportsman shaft-mount rocker arms (81vette)

Mark, I've had two kinds of mid grade aluminum rockers fail. One was Harland Sharp and I can't remember the other. the needle bearings got beat out of a couple of them.

I've had very good luck with my Crower stain steel 1.65 ratio and Comp cams 1.6 C-Moly units. Shaft rockers have been the way that most racer have gone in the last 9 or so years. I would guess that the power gains claimed are when your running those 250 lbs closed spring pressures. To streel roller motors it probably doesn't make a difference.

Why don't you buy them and tell me how good they work!:) :cheers:
Old 10-10-2003, 07:53 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Anyone running Cranes new sportsman shaft-mount rocker arms (gkull)

I already have the Crane Gold Race rocker arms. I figured I'd go ahead and run them for 15,000 miles and then change them out at the same time I have the solid lifters rebuilt. Maybe by then someone will give us some feedback as to their durability. BTW, how many miles did you get out of the rocker arms you were running before they failed?

Mark
Old 10-11-2003, 01:08 PM
90NormZ51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone running Cranes new sportsman shaft-mount rocker arms (81vette)

Based on the description in Crane's release of the "new alloy" properties I think they're using one of the new Scandium metal-matrix alloys. Almost all of the world supply of Scandium comes from a mine outside Kiev. The Soviet military experimented extensively with adding trace amounts (2%) of scandium to other aluminum alloys in the 70's and these were used extensively in the MIG-29 fighter. After the collapse of the Soviet Union scandium began to see use in the west. It increases the strength of most AL alloys between 15-20% and has dramatically improved fatigue characteristics (300% greater in the Audi A8). That would bode well for it's durability as a rocker.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone running Cranes new sportsman shaft-mount rocker arms?

Quick Reply: Anyone running Cranes new sportsman shaft-mount rocker arms?