Other Cars Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale

67 Camaro - how will mods affect value?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 11:05 AM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default 67 Camaro - how will mods affect value?

Posting here at the Corvette Forum as I tend to trust the opinions here..

I have a bone stock, all original '67 Camaro in very good, even excellent condition overall.

My restoration shop is recommending a 4 link suspension on the rear with a Ford 9" rear end. Just seems that a Ford rear end would irk the Chevy enthusiasts?

Also wants to update the front suspension with tubular A-arms in including a power brake conversion with all 4 brakes being Wilwood disc brakes.

Coil overs on all 4 corners.

Question is - on an all stock, all original 67 in great condition, how would all of this affect value, collectability and resale?

Sorry, it's a base coupe, 327 210 HP WOO HOO! 210 HP!!! A tad different from my 650HP Z06. Will post some pics. The paint is decent, it was repainted in the 80's. Either a mediocre pro or a very good amateur painted it. Paint is cracked in some places, at best a 10 footer on the paint, maybe 15'??

Has some nice options that I've never seen. A bucket-bench seat, deluxe interior, even power steering. Manual drum brakes on all 4 corners.

So - given that it is all original and unmolested, would updating just the suspension to tubular A-Arms, coil over shocks, 4 link rear end suspension, 9-inch rear end and 4 wheel Wilwood 6 pistons up front, 4 piston in the rear disc brakes help or hurt the value and collectability??

OH - Forgot to add, I'll be adding a factory duplicate AC (I live in S. Florida) and a cruise control.

NOTE: I will eventually do some internal mods to the 327, bringing it up to at least 350 HP, but keep the original parts so I can put it back to stock. 210hp is just a joke, face it.

EDIT: I have decided to keep it stock. I do think I'll at least do the power disc brake upgrade though. Not sure if I should go aftermarket disc brakes, or go with Z28 disc brakes to keep it authentic. I'd lean towards the Z28 disc brakes to keep it authentic, even though the Wilwood brakes sure look good.

Last edited by Coach62; 11-21-2016 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Questions
Old 11-20-2016, 11:13 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Well, what is it now? 6-cylinder? V8? Base engine or hi-perf? RS? SS? Z28?

If it's a base car careful mods increase value. 4-wheel Wilwood dic brakes is worth more than 4-wheel drums. Dunno about the 4-link rear. But you're unlikely to get back the money you spend for upgrades when you sell it.

If it's anything special like a hi-perf motor RS/SS I'd say leave it stock.

Edit: Obviously save the original parts and try to only do mods that can easily be reversed (bolt-ons).

Last edited by zwede; 11-20-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-20-2016, 11:59 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

What zwede said.

Now were are the pictures??
Old 11-20-2016, 12:06 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If its 100% bone stock leave it very few out there like that

On the flip side its still a 67 Camaro period. Boy would I love to have another! Lots of modded ones, think anyone that likes the car at first sight wont mind either way assuming its priced accordingly

There was a 67 on CL in Vegas white that was so original and nice it hurt priced right too.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:37 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Personally I would leave it stock if it is that nice but there is the other half that would still love the mods if they are done tastefully so it would probably be a draw on value. Bottom line though , it's your car. Do what makes you happy. Just be glad that you own it.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Updated above post.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:55 PM
ls777z
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Value ?

What kind of car are you looking to build? You could probably find someone's project for a lot less $$$ than what it will cost you to modify yours.
​​​​​​​
Old 11-20-2016, 01:04 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ls777z
What kind of car are you looking to build? You could probably find someone's project for a lot less $$$ than what it will cost you to modify yours.
​​​​​​​
Yeah the above car is $27,000. For the condition that's a pretty good price. You could easily spend that much on just a restoration. Almost NO rust. One very small spot on a door, one small spot of surface rust on the frame, nothing structural at all.

It's in amazing condition, look at the negative battery cable, I think that's original. Even has the old style hose clamps.
Old 11-20-2016, 01:29 PM
biackbenz
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 69 Posts

IMHO I would leave it stock. that is a nice stock car and worth more than it would be with the mods.

​​​​​​​
Old 11-20-2016, 02:04 PM
Syl1953
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 182 Likes on 124 Posts

Nice camaro, only original once. Why does your shop want to go four link with a ford 9inch with only 350hp projected in the future? I would say change out the 10 bolt for a 12 bolt posi, no welding or cutting. That would keep it Chevrolet and upgrade it some. All the rear end needed unless you were to turn it into a 1/4 monster with over 500 - 600 hp. JMO, Mark
Old 11-20-2016, 02:04 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts

if you want a modded Camaro, sell yours and buy one that is already touched.

I wanted a pro street 67 GTO. I didn't want to cut up a nice GTO sp I did it to a Tempest and made a clone.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:24 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Saw the updated pics....never seen a split bench in one before;column shift no console deluxe int. Camaro guys go nuts over strange option packs like that
dont let them change it ONE bit they just want your money and in your case will probably lower value. That ones too complete and stock to dick with
If anything clean up the corrosion underneath and detail it;sandblast and go to town its cheap and effective when selling.
Where the carpet ends is that rust or just the pic?

Last edited by cv67; 11-20-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:26 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

I wouldn't change a thing except the engine mods you mentioned and maybe a front disc kit for the sake of safety. All that is easily reversed and wouldn't take away from the value. Modifying it like the shop recommended sounds like a great way for them to make money and you to lose it.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:21 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Watch a few auctions. Let's be honest here. Any money you spend on mods is going to be worth 50c/$ when you sell it. Original will always trump mod. Nothing wrong with mods but do them because you want to enjoy the results. Or the work. Not that you'll make money in them.

The only winner here: your restoration shop. I'd find another one; they aren't helping you "restore" anything.

Last edited by Todd TCE; 11-20-2016 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:24 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
if you want a modded Camaro, sell yours and buy one that is already touched.

I wanted a pro street 67 GTO. I didn't want to cut up a nice GTO sp I did it to a Tempest and made a clone.
I totally agree.

Keep it as it is.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:41 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
If anything clean up the corrosion underneath and detail it;sandblast and go to town its cheap and effective when selling.
Where the carpet ends is that rust or just the pic?
It's not rust, I think it's dirt, possibly some mildew, although it didn't look or smell of mildew.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:48 PM
jr73
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 166 Posts

I've had my 68 Camaro for years and years and have no plans on ever selling it. It's full of mods but they're for me.
If you want to keep it and mod it to fit your needs that's cool.
But that car is something special an as said above I also have never seen a bench seat Camaro. Modified ones are everywhere but cars like yours and as clean as it is are super rare and a whole lot more interesting.

Get notified of new replies

To 67 Camaro - how will mods affect value?

Old 11-20-2016, 07:52 PM
Coach62
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by ls777z
​​​​​​​
That's exactly what I decided to do. Called him, he had a fit, there was some shouting from him. Called me back an hour later and apologized.

Doing paint, AC add, Cruise control add and a couple of other minor things. That's it.

The only "mods" I'm doing are adding the rear Z28 spoiler and nose stripe, possibly the Z28 hood. Yes, I know that's not original, but I can't imagine that will really hurt the value if I keep the original parts.

Not sure about the color, the butternut yellow isn't bad, but I don't think it's anyone's favorite color.

How much does changing the color affect value if you stick with an original Camaro color of the time?
Old 11-20-2016, 08:54 PM
68ACADIAN
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Keep it original, buy a Dynacorn body(shell) and knock yourself out!! On the other hand GM only made a couple hundred thousand of them and it's not like it's an L78/M22 RS Ragtop. And if you don't drive it I'd sell it. It would be like being married to a Playboy Playmate and not sleeping with her. Saving it for the next person or your wife's next boyfriend after you kick the bucket 'cause you know he'll drive it real hard......Life's too short.
And by the way a "true restoration" shop will not lead you down the altering an original unmolested car path. Restoring is redoing the existing parts/body/suspension or adding parts that were available in that year. Modding an unmolested car is not restoring..... My 2 cents.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:02 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

As others have said, I would leave it alone. The market for original, untouched cars is white hot now, while pro touting cars like your "restorer" wants to build are like setting $100 bills on fire. It sounds like you want to drive the car (air & cruise), but I would be tempted to just put on front discs and call it a day. While that car is not rare per se, it has made it almost half a century the way it was born, which is no small feat. If you really want a driver you can find one already done with most of the upgrades you want for a lot less than you would pay to have them done to this car. I say drive it as is or look elsewhere.

Quick Reply: 67 Camaro - how will mods affect value?