Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Feather fill Question and process on my 69

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Feather fill Question and process on my 69

I have hired a guy to help with my restoration and just wanted to verify the steps he has planned. We are in process of stripping the last of the primer and previous feather fill off. (car was repainted once 30 years ago) From what he has said we should finish block sanding all the primer till we get to the gel coat. After that he said we spray it with feather fill which he said is a thick primer. After that he said we block sand again and then possibly repeat the feather fill and block sand one more time to ensure all low and high spots are removed. Does this seem like a good plan?
Old 07-16-2014, 06:59 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikesfreetime
I have hired a guy to help with my restoration and just wanted to verify the steps he has planned. We are in process of stripping the last of the primer and previous feather fill off. (car was repainted once 30 years ago) From what he has said we should finish block sanding all the primer till we get to the gel coat. After that he said we spray it with feather fill which he said is a thick primer. After that he said we block sand again and then possibly repeat the feather fill and block sand one more time to ensure all low and high spots are removed. Does this seem like a good plan?
YES...except that any body seams and body work should be completed before you prime it.

DUB
Old 07-17-2014, 07:07 AM
Mikesfreetime
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
YES...except that any body seams and body work should be completed before you prime it.

DUB
There really are only a few stress cracks in the car. A few corners needed repair and the edges around the side rear marker lights. Other than those the body has never been damaged.

As far as the seams. They were fixed when it was repainted, would they need to be ground out and redone again?
Old 07-17-2014, 07:16 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Depends on what was used in the seams. If they used some kind of filler material, it's 30 years old now and may need to be redone. If they glassed the seams then they're fine and won't need anything.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:27 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
Depends on what was used in the seams. If they used some kind of filler material, it's 30 years old now and may need to be redone. If they glassed the seams then they're fine and won't need anything.

It all depend what was used. AND...if you have doubts.....I would grind out the 'unknown' stuff and fill in with Vette Panel Adhesive....myself.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Feather fill Question and process on my 69

Quick Reply: Feather fill Question and process on my 69