Paint/Body Corvette Materials, Techniques, and How To

Help on how to restore paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 03:44 PM
ClaymoreNo47
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on how to restore paint

Ok so I've got paint that isn't too good. Lots of micro swirly scratches when angle of light is applied correctly and a few inch square chips that flaked off. I've been looking everywhere for help on how to fix this up.

What materials do I need? Do I first sand down the chips to make the paint in that area smooth? and paint/blend that area? Then polish the entire body so that everything is smooth? Then after that what do I do? most youtube videos don't say anything about clear coating or other protective coats. I don't think my car has clear coat because a bird poop dropping a few hours old made the darkest stain on my car. It seeped into the paint.

I need actual brands and numbers and products. When someone say buff the car after xyz I have no idea what buffing materials entail. When people say sand away an area for a certain process i have no idea what grit is suitable.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:22 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

I can not suggest anything due to NOT ENOUGH information has been given.

What year?

What color is your car? YES..it is important.

Photo's of where these one inch square chips are located....YES this also makes a BIG difference. And PLEASE do not take the photo's so close up I can see the atoms that make up the fiberglass. I need to see where they are located.

After these questions have been answered I will be able to give an opinion and or suggestions.

DUB
Old 09-01-2014, 02:16 PM
ClaymoreNo47
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Darn my car isn't with me atm for at least a week. It's 1976 with 1977 corvette orange. Three chips one located smack in middle of hood on top of air filter. Two located above left front wheel on panel. Those two are close to the top but not located on the apex where the sharp angled part of the car is. It's a little below on a flat surface. Basically every large chip is a on a flat surface and flaked completely off all the way down to the fiberglass with a little white undercoat residue left. I'd say the thickness of the paint from what I can see is a millimeter. Including color coat and white coat.

Last edited by ClaymoreNo47; 09-01-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:01 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by ClaymoreNo47
Darn my car isn't with me atm for at least a week. It's 1976 with 1977 corvette orange. Three chips one located smack in middle of hood on top of air filter. Two located above left front wheel on panel. Those two are close to the top but not located on the apex where the sharp angled part of the car is. It's a little below on a flat surface. Basically every large chip is a on a flat surface and flaked completely off all the way down to the fiberglass with a little white undercoat residue left. I'd say the thickness of the paint from what I can see is a millimeter. Including color coat and white coat.
2 out of 3 isn't bad...BUT I need to SEE the problems. Photo's needed.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Help on how to restore paint

Quick Reply: Help on how to restore paint